Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Riding down Pikes Peak

A friend of mine and I have been talking about doing this for some time and he is in town this week so we want to shuttle Pikes Peak. Has anyone done this before? Any tips or info would be great. We plan on doing this probably wed or fri.. early.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Havent done it but definately like to ride it also. Depending on the time and day you guys do it ill be game. Thats if you guys want tag alongs

Jonesy

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah definately! We will sort out details tonight...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've always started at the top around noonish. That way... anyone serious about summitting is above treeline and can see you comin'. A small "bearbell" hangin' on the front of my handlebars has worked well. Most of the hikers hear ya and have already stepped to the side. Don't forget your admission receipt from the top or you'll be payin' again.

mtbr member
    I have done it and it is super fun during the week hikers should not be a problem. Be prepared for warp speed as soon as you let off the brakes. You may also think about starting at elk park just above glen cove that is also a super fun trail. Depends on the day but I might also be game for a pikes peak run. Since I am off
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Totally sick ride, don't do it on a weekend and be extra nice and yield to hikers or we will be banned from doing it. One hour and fifteen minutes, 6000 feet of vert, cold beer at the bottom at your venue of choice....does it get any better???

Candlestick Maker
    I did this ride way back in the day (96?) and had a great time. Enjoy the massive descent!

I second the recommendation to "be extra nice and yield to hikers." If you ride early, keep in mind that you'll run into lots of Incline traffic/runners/hikers near the bottom. I rode up Barr Trail Friday morning and was surprised by the heavy traffic. Wednesday would probably be a better choice than Friday.
    baker

boxcar
    I have done this ride and it's way good. Super fun and epic. Descending a 14'r!! We waited at the bottom (7 of us) and basically stuck our thumbs out to passing trucks. We offered to pay for their ticket up the road if they let us get in back with our bikes. Two trucks later we were getting a lift to the top. rode Barr trail back into Manitou and didn't have to worry about shuttling back up to retrieve vehicles. it was a great day.

my girl rides also
    Feb 2005
    Sooooo fun. As other have said...hang out in the lot just befrore the gate and thumb your way up with people who drive trucks. Something I NEED to do again one of these days.
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahfool View Post
    Totally sick ride, don't do it on a weekend and be extra nice and yield to hikers or we will be banned from doing it. One hour and fifteen minutes, 6000 feet of vert, cold beer at the bottom at your venue of choice....does it get any better???
    contrary to your use of the overused and lame colloquialism "sick", it is better on many other rides in the state that are not crowded with hikers and you had to earn your descent

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So im pretty sure we are doing this tomorrow...
    Was thinking about 10ish....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Enjoy the ride

simple
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    contrary to your use of the overused and lame colloquialism "sick", it is better on many other rides in the state that are not crowded with hikers and you had to earn your descent

You seriously have the worst attitude of the folks on this CO forum. You having personal problems or are you just always that much of a negative person?

Maybe take a break from posting, or get laid. Something dude.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip View Post
    You seriously have the worst attitude of the folks on this CO forum. You having personal problems or are you just always that much of a negative person?

Maybe take a break from posting, or get laid. Something dude.
    It is a nice pic though. Even if the colors are over-tweaked.

I've heard there is a trail you can ride up on the South side. Haven't ridden it, my guess is that since no one talks about it that it's to loose to ride up, or else the DOW doesn't want us up there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wish I could join; I just did Barr on Sunday and am itching to go again. Be warned; there we some big washed out ruts on lots of the trail due to heavy rain. They may already be beaten back down by all the traffic but keep your eyes open; a lot of them are in the natural exit of switchbacks. If you want to save $ you can always start early and pedal up. Its a hard climb, but pretty fun. There will be hike a bike at the Golden Steps unless you feel up to trials (the Golden Steps are a really fun challenge coming down). Have a great ride.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by kjbike View Post
    ..snip... Its a hard climb, but pretty fun.
    Oxymoron.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    id like to go tommorrow but i got some inprocessing to do unfortunately

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Seriously consider not riding down the last part of Barr - tons of hiker/incline/runner traffic. The downhill on the Experimental Forest Road is WAY better anyway - no one there, not always having to hit your brakes for every switchback, and plenty of smooth water berms to throw you in the air. Finish off on the Ute Indian/Pipeline trail. Garmin link attached - take the upper entrance to that road, and there is literally only 200 yards of easy uphill. It is the track that heads NorthEast of Barr trail, couple miles below Barr camp, but a mile above where the official road hits Barr trail.

The furthest on Barr we got was to the camp, then we hooked North to Elk Park (PPHC day), so pick up these tracks at the camp, drop down on the best of the Barr decent where it is not all people and switchbacks, then head North on the Experimental Forest road.

http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=5805549

have fun,
    jon

Inflexable...
    There are many better rides to do than this...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So since there are better rides I should just never do this one??

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jnordby View Post
    Seriously consider not riding down the last part of Barr - tons of hiker/incline/runner traffic. The downhill on the Experimental Forest Road is WAY better anyway - no one there, not always having to hit your brakes for every switchback, and plenty of smooth water berms to throw you in the air. Finish off on the Ute Indian/Pipeline trail. Garmin link attached - take the upper entrance to that road, and there is literally only 200 yards of easy uphill. It is the track that heads NorthEast of Barr trail, couple miles below Barr camp, but a mile above where the official road hits Barr trail.

The furthest on Barr we got was to the camp, then we hooked North to Elk Park (PPHC day), so pick up these tracks at the camp, drop down on the best of the Barr decent where it is not all people and switchbacks, then head North on the Experimental Forest road.

have fun,

jon
    Ill look into this! Sounds good though! I cant wait!!!

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jnordby View Post

have fun,
    jon
    Absolutely, I second this! Way more fun and very fast, no traffic.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've only done it as an out n back. I would love to shuttle it to see what the DH is like when I have energy. PM me if anyone wants to talk about setting up a shuttle some time soon.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Ahhhhhh, me too!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip View Post
    You /snip ironic rant
    love your "handle" and avatar, baby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast