Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Riding with dogs?

2K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  front range migz 
#1 ·
I am about the be a Boulder local (less than a week now) and I am trying to figure out where I can take my dogs with us to ride. At my current location, we can just leave them off their leashes and they run along with us as we ride and don't bother anyone, but it seems that CO is very strict on the leash law.

Is it hopeless to think I can take my two dogs with me when I ride after we get moved? I've heard there are dog parks that you can take dogs where they can run without leashes, but are there any mountain bike areas that will allow pups off leashes?

If you prefer, just PM or email me instead of posting to the thread.

Thanks in advance,
Joel

#2 ·
I ride with my dog alot, but mostly just take him to the DJs. On the trail he can only do about 5-7 miles depending on temp, on our trails(springs, woodland park) verbal control is essential when passing other dogs and one must be very vigilant for horses which can spook easily when bike and dog come charging around a corner.

p.s. I should have said 5-7 comfortable miles, he has done the pipeline shuttle and rampart res but his pads tend to get tore up from the granite.

#3 ·
West Magnolia is great for dogs...

Easy access from Boulder, no paved roads or fast traffic to deal with, lots of steep, slow climbs and relatively technical descents - it's perfect for dogs. Make sure the dog is comfortable with other bikes, hikers, and the occasional motorcycle or horse and you're good to go. It's quite rocky, though, so make sure his/her pads are able to handle the rough terrain.

We take our little shepherd mix there a couple times a week. He loves it, especially since he's the sort that can run 30 mph indefinitely, meaning that while we're doing the climbs, he can range off the sides of the trail and look for rabbits and still keep up.

Other possibilities: Ceran St. Vrain, Lefthand trails, Jamestown stuff. I've seen people on Sourdough with dogs off leash, but that's a fairly high traffic area.

-Walt

#4 ·
Dog Gone bye bye

You are responsible for all the damage your dogs do. I never ride with mine anymore. I have been told by Rngers and Police that if your dog threatens anyone (this could be as simple as your dog approaching someone else on the trail) that person has the right to protect themselves. I was told that they don't even have to be growling or anything like that. The person who feels threatened can hit, kick, or even shoot the animal. <<<< Yikes !!

This apparently has happened and there is not much the dog owner can do. The basic premise is that the animals MUST BE UNDER CONTROL AND NON-THREATENING AT ALL TIMES. So if my dogs are off leash, by definition they are not IN CONTROL. "Verbal control" is no defence, it is not Under Control, only physical restraint control aka. Leash counts. This is why there are a few OFF LEASH parks, where dogs can go to romp, screw, and poop on each other.

You can harm another even if your dog is on leash and You allow the animal to be in physical proximity to another hiker, biker, runner etc. The bottomline is that trails are for humans not animals. In addition one must always pack it in, pack it out. This includes Dog Shat. It can be a vector for animal born disease of native animals and others as well.

For these reasons most leave the dogs at home. Dogs have no business on the trails and owners must act responsibly. My dogs don't miss the trails as long as they get attention at home. It is much more enjoyable for us to hike/bike without them anyway.

Just my 2 centavos...

#5 ·
csprings, you forget that in boulder dogs are more important than people - i've been yelled at for nearly hitting an unleashed dog on the boulder creek path road training. If I did hit the dog I'd most likely sue the owner regardless of whether the dog lived or died, because I have no respect for people who fail to control their animals. I have never once seen a leash law being enforced in this town. Pathetic.

#6 ·
tickets

CSPRINGS said:
You are responsible for all the damage your dogs do. I never ride with mine anymore. I have been told by Rngers and Police that if your dog threatens anyone (this could be as simple as your dog approaching someone else on the trail) that person has the right to protect themselves. I was told that they don't even have to be growling or anything like that. The person who feels threatened can hit, kick, or even shoot the animal. <<<< Yikes !!

This apparently has happened and there is not much the dog owner can do. The basic premise is that the animals MUST BE UNDER CONTROL AND NON-THREATENING AT ALL TIMES. So if my dogs are off leash, by definition they are not IN CONTROL. "Verbal control" is no defence, it is not Under Control, only physical restraint control aka. Leash counts. This is why there are a few OFF LEASH parks, where dogs can go to romp, screw, and poop on each other.

You can harm another even if your dog is on leash and You allow the animal to be in physical proximity to another hiker, biker, runner etc. The bottomline is that trails are for humans not animals. In addition one must always pack it in, pack it out. This includes Dog Shat. It can be a vector for animal born disease of native animals and others as well.

For these reasons most leave the dogs at home. Dogs have no business on the trails and owners must act responsibly. My dogs don't miss the trails as long as they get attention at home. It is much more enjoyable for us to hike/bike without them anyway.

Just my 2 centavos...
Tickets are the norm in larimer county. NO warning, and I believe it was $50. 2nd offense is more. I agree, dogs have no business unless on a leash 10 feet OR LESS. If you are good, you can ride just about anything with the dog on leash. My buddy rides horsetooth mtn park in its entirety with the dog on a ~6 foot leash. Pisses me off, cuz he clears sht that I can't.

#7 ·
im with you triple dot ...

... said:
csprings, you forget that in boulder dogs are more important than people - i've been yelled at for nearly hitting an unleashed dog on the boulder creek path road training. If I did hit the dog I'd most likely sue the owner regardless of whether the dog lived or died, because I have no respect for people who fail to control their animals. I have never once seen a leash law being enforced in this town. Pathetic.
me neither (CS), i have a real problem with dog owners that think everyone loves dogs. my wife is terrified when one comes around on a leash, let alone with out one.

the other day we were hiking rampart res and one came flying up and i grabbed its collar and tried to contain it, then it wiggled out of its collar and proceeded to slobber all over me. so when i got to the owner, i wiped my hands on his shirt, and said "dont mind do you?" he acted like i was some sort of a problem and said a few words back. good thing i wasnt......never mind, just do a search for the "do you carry while you ride" thread.

anyways, i wouldnt suggest you take a dog on a leash on any trails with your bike unless it is wide enough for a bike, a dog (at max leash length) and a passerby to pass each other all at once. hmmmmm.....not too many of those trails around.

since we're on a roll here.. what about horse crap. dog owners have to carry a bag around and pick up their messes, why not horse owners!!!!! just get them some target bags, i think they are big enough :)

even more of a rant, since IM on a roll. how come some trails are open to horses but not mtbikes? those hooves sure make a mess not to mention the poop, i have a hard time seeing how my thin barely deep tire marks are worse than that

ok , sorry, im down off the box. dont mind me, just got me going is all

peace friends

#9 ·
Hey Wild

WILD,
The dots represent a break in thought, like deciding not to type what one is thinking, or like choosing not to complete the sentence for whatever reasons.

I love animals, and dogs. They have no business outside ones own yard. THey do not belong on the trail whatsoever. I do find that if you are aggressive towards them, ie try to kick the sheite outta them if they are blockin the trail it really takes em by suprise.

Mace is very effective, once a dog gets a faceful he usually remembers to avoid others. I have never actually had to mace one yet.

#10 ·
KaiMana said:
I ride with my dog alot, but mostly just take him to the DJs. On the trail he can only do about 5-7 miles depending on temp, on our trails(springs, woodland park) verbal control is essential when passing other dogs and one must be very vigilant for horses which can spook easily when bike and dog come charging around a corner.

p.s. I should have said 5-7 comfortable miles, he has done the pipeline shuttle and rampart res but his pads tend to get tore up from the granite.
If you could get your dog to wear something like these you'll be able to take your pup on longer hauls without hurting his feet.

#11 ·
Back to the original post, Sourdough is legal but can be crowded. Buchanan is legal but is also sometimes crowded. In between on SD and South St Vrain (park at the Boy Scout Camp) is legal and rarely crowded. That's my favorite dog ride. Some creeks along the way for easy dog hydration.

I think Walker is legal as well. At least I've seen plenty of unleashed dogs there. Can also get crowded, but just go early. Like any trail, if you go early you'll have it to yourself.

Then there's more good stuff further north, but these and those mentioned above will get you started.

Have fun. S

#12 ·
If you keep your pup leashed I don't have a problem on the trails. Reread my post and it was a little bit strong lol

#15 ·
I've thought about it and I do know what to say...

Being new to this site, and remembering something I read somewhere about "flaming", I wonder if I can enlist some moderator help here. Was I just flamed?? Isn't there a rule about that?

Little help !!

PMAC,

I didn't flame, slam, or berate anyone in my post. We are all entitled to our opinions here. Please dont kill me if you see me on the trails :confused:

What do you ride and what kind of dog do you take, I'll be happy to look out for you and stay out of your way. :D

Anyone else? Is PMAC a little off here? Or did I do something wrong?

#16 ·
PMAC, joke's on you, I don't have a car.

#17 ·
CSPRINGS said:
...I love animals, and dogs. They have no business outside ones own yard. THey do not belong on the trail whatsoever. I do find that if you are aggressive towards them, ie try to kick the sheite outta them if they are blockin the trail it really takes em by suprise....
wow..... I hate attitudes like that. I get all my dogs out as much as I can, whether it be hunting, camping, hiking, walking, swimming, picnic, short rides, snowboarding, whatever. People who have dogs that never intend to take them out of their yard have no business having dogs. Get a fish or a cat.

#18 ·
quick question...

why do dog threads always digress into people ranting against dogs on the trails/off leash? Jdud just ask for info regarding where to take the dogs not what your personal opinion is regarding dogs and how you would deal with them. i also find it interesting that the rants always end up digressing to threats and general bu#%sh%#.

oh and wildman...
wildman said:
he acted like i was some sort of a problem and said a few words back. good thing i wasnt......never mind, just do a search for the "do you carry while you ride" thread.
wildman said:
didn't flame, slam, or berate anyone in my post.
. you just escalate this **** by vaguely referring to firearms and what you might do and then cry foul about being flamed. do you see that you undermine any credibility that you might have had?

#19 ·
Dogs On Trail

Dear all,
Be aware that unless the ares is SPECIFICALLY POSTED , you dog MUST be on a leash. One end of said leash must be attached to you, the other to your pet. That is simply to avoid a ticket. You are personally liabel for any and all damages your dog causes. You are a dolt if you do not pack out their poop. It is very IRRESPONSIBLE.
Do you live in a shithole ? If someone came to visit your home, and took a dump by the coffee table, would you be stupid enough to kick it under the couch (no one would notice).

IF someone twists their ankle trying to avoid your dog, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE. IF your dog approaches someone, and that person feels threatened FOR WHATEVER REASom ( even if the dog simply wants to sniff their crotch) that person, as backed by law, can take any /all actions to safeguard their physical safety. THis includes killing the animal. Yes, it sounds cruel but it does happen. Yes it is legal, NO you have no recourse against the person. If this happens it is your own fault. Trails are for people not their pets.
If you doubt this consult your local L.E.O.

Peace
My animals do not belong on the trail and out of RESPECT they stay home. I ccannot afford the LIABILITY either. It is just common sense.

#20 ·
Csprings

please check your facts or be more clear when TYPING IN ALL CAPS.

CSPRINGS said:
Be aware that unless the areas is SPECIFICALLY POSTED , you dog MUST be on a leash.
Where are you referring to? Colorado Springs Parks, Pike National Forest, unincorporated El Paso County? to start you off on your research go here -->pets in pike national forest

Q38. What are your rules for having pets in the National Forest?
A. They should be leashed if you are in a Wilderness area, a developed recreation area or on a heavily traveled trail that�s covered by a Special Order. Otherwise, your pets should be under voice control at all times.

Now I am not speaking to what is voice control just where you must have a leash attached.

I am with you all the way on the pack it out and we do every day.

I am not so sure why you are apparently overly concerned with who is 'RESPONSIBLE' but that obviously is a big deal to you. let's not start another one of these threads ( here ). As entertaining as it was we only need one.

In addressing wildman I am sorry I left you out.
CSPRINGS said:
I do find that if you are aggressive towards them, ie try to kick the sheite outta them if they are blockin the trail it really takes em by suprise.
Mace is very effective, once a dog gets a faceful he usually remembers to avoid others. I have never actually had to mace one yet.
why must everyone explain how they are going physically address the situation? did the dog really deserve to be kicked or maced? now if the dog was being aggressive ( aggressive in the common sense definition...not the lawyer-happy tort sense ) then that is one thing but standing in the trail? I am always surprised how people get so worked up and jack their jaw about how much damage they are going to do to the dog.

can you explain this general attitude and the questions I posed to wildman? can you do it without CAPS and an apparent zeal/fanaticism that causes you to misspell so many words?

#21 ·
32x18 said:
causes you to misspell so many words?
Cut that out. It's petty and pointless.

As far as the negative or provocational attitude many people take i'm under the impression that it's caused by two major items:

* That most dog owners on the trail (in my experience, YMMV) fail to control their animals or pack out. The good owners, while greatly appreciated, are unfortunately outnumbered.

* Those who are not controlling their animal / packing out feces become incredibly defensive when asked, even politely, to do so. The general attitude (in Boulder) is that dog owners have carte blanche to do whatever they please and to request that they follow the laws is somehow infringing on their rights.

To the OP: Call and find out the laws for any particular trail on which you'd like to bring your pup and control it appropriately. Keep in mind that allowing your dog off leash, even where allowed, could result in unfortunate incidents with local fauna.

#22 ·
Dog will learn, if trained (which I help with)

... said:
People that yell when you almost hit there dog are usually in the wrong. At least, in my case, they are. :)

I don't care if a dog I'm passing is off leash if it stays out of my way. (In Boulder, it's legal to have your dog off leash if under "verbal control" -- it's the law here.) But if the dog gets in my way, I try to teach them a lessen by bumping into them. Either that, or I come "real close". (;o) I then usually say to the dog owner (this just happened yesterday) "That's a good way to get your dog injured, as well as me." I usually don't stay around to discuss the matter (unless I'm patrolling).

My dogs used to ride with me, before they got so old. And it only took one or two reminders before they stayed out of the way.

If you're gonna ride with your dogs, I say do it (1) where it's legal, and (2) there are not many people. Places like Bunce School Rd., for example, aren't very crowded. (Of course, you have to try to find places where there's water, or you have to bring a *bunch*.)

#23 · (Edited)
No unleashed dogs at Walker

DSR said:
Back to the original post, Sourdough is legal but can be crowded. Buchanan is legal but is also sometimes crowded. In between on SD and South St Vrain (park at the Boy Scout Camp) is legal and rarely crowded. That's my favorite dog ride. Some creeks along the way for easy dog hydration.

I think Walker is legal as well. At least I've seen plenty of unleashed dogs there. Can also get crowded, but just go early. Like any trail, if you go early you'll have it to yourself.

Then there's more good stuff further north, but these and those mentioned above will get you started.

Have fun. S
Part of Walker Ranch is Boulder County, and all Boulder County Parks and Open Space require dogs to be leashed if they're allowed at all. No dogs period at Hall Ranch and Rabit Mountain.

#24 ·
a good start...

... said:
Cut that out. It's petty and pointless..
sorry mom... :) I was bored at the end of the day and just like to poke the bear a little bit. Chide me if you will but please be even handed when dolling out the reprimands. How is it that pointing out that someone may want to pay more attention to their spelling warrants a response but references to the use firearms and abusing animals does not?

I appreciate your attempts to answer my questions but they still do not address the underlying issue....why the overt aggression?

... said:
That most dog owners on the trail (in my experience, YMMV) fail to control their animals or pack out. The good owners, while greatly appreciated, are unfortunately outnumbered.
How does this truth explain why people resort to ranting and threatened violence when dogs and the trail come up? We all have to deal with things we do not like on a daily basis but I rarely see this kind of ranting when applied to other issues. I also understand that people like to beat their chest and post big on the msg board but it gets a bit out of hand.

For example...
wildman said:
the other day we were hiking rampart res and one came flying up and i grabbed its collar and tried to contain it, then it wiggled out of its collar and proceeded to slobber all over me. so when i got to the owner, i wiped my hands on his shirt, and said "dont mind do you?"
I have a difficult time believing that this actually happened, not that the dog did what is stated but that wildman did what he stated. For someone concerned about his person space it seems a bit off to violate someone else's personal space...talk about potential lawsuit. Why not deal with it like an adult and try and educate/engage the individual? I know it can be trying since there are pet owners that do not manage their charges well but you can not deal/judge everyone buy past experience. I would equate this to interfacing with people that are not mtb friendly as I am sure their is a msg board for hikers that is having this same discussion ( insert mtb biker here ) right now. By the way, why did you grab the dog in the first place? Just wondering, since as a dog owner I would never attempt to grab a dog I did not know.

... said:
* Those who are not controlling their animal / packing out feces become incredibly defensive when asked, even politely, to do so. The general attitude (in Boulder) is that dog owners have carte blanche to do whatever they please and to request that they follow the laws is somehow infringing on their rights.
I do not know about Boulder and the general attitudes in that area but I can draw laser-sharp parallels between the dog issue and mtb issue here in Colorado Springs.

Dogs off lead are to _______ as mountain bikers are to hikers...fill in the blank. Give it all the lip service you can but the prevailing winds indicate that hikers are non-pulssed with mountain bikers. I am always astounded when a hiker attempts to get out of the trail to let a biker pass and I actively encourage the hikers to exercise their right to the correct ROW. I see more defensive or flat out offensive behavior from mountain bikers then dog owners so I would think we, as a group, might be a bit more sensitive to other users and their transgressions.

leeman said:
But if the dog gets in my way, I try to teach them a lessen by bumping into them. Either that, or I come "real close". (;o) I then usually say to the dog owner (this just happened yesterday) "That's a good way to get your dog injured, as well as me."
This is how we have taught our dogs to keep out of the way but I would be very leery of doing it to dog I did not know. I am glad to see that someone has actually suggested talking to the owner of the dog because unless the owner is educated the dog will not be.

Remember that unless the dog has been trained to move out of the trail, and most non-bikers do not do this, then why would you expect the dog to move? In general, if there is a dog in the trail I can assume that people will not be far behind and, as the rules of the trail dictate, I should be slowing and stopping to yield the ROW (acronym so I used caps :) ) to the hikers. A friend of mine was *****ing about the possibility of coming around a corner and hitting a dog and I pointed out that the dog could very easily be a small child or hiker. What then? If it is a big concern then I would assert that maybe you are going too fast for the conditions.

Thanks LeeMan, ... and the few others for you non-aggressive/combative contributions. I have actually taken the time to respond thread to this because, as a dog owner and biker, I have a strong desire to minimize trail use conflict and I have never understood the ire that this topic raises.

#25 ·
Riding with a dog on leash is an accident waiting to happen.
I have seen several people pulled over when there dog takes an unexpected turn.
Also both hands should be on the bars for total control.
AND what is up with those little sh#% bags that dog owners leave on the side
of the trail.
If you take the time to pick it up and put it in a bag take the thing with you
and dispose of it properly. Do they think that the trail garbage man will come
and dispose of it.
I think if every bike rider laid a big pile on the trail the hikers and equestrians would
have us all shot.

#26 ·
let me set the record straight

OK, OK, I hear you....

First of all, 32x18, the incident DID happen. I am not afraid of anything, ANYTHING, and I grabbed the dog because my wife was scared. She comes first, not some soul-less animal. I do not carry a gun while I ride or hike (the original comment was just a way of saying "what if....", because I'm sure some people out there probably do!). And yes, I did wipe my hand on the guy's shirt, because, in my eyes, the slobber belonged to him. Why? Because his dog was off its leash! Duh! I really don't care to be slobbered on by a dog, let alone anything worse (and yes, it wouldn't phase me a bit to kill one that really threatened me). And don't try to throw something in here about, "what if HE was carrying..., etc., etc.?" I don't want to hear it.

Secondly: You are correct in stating that low key, communication is best when dealing with sticky situations. I am all for that. But, like I believe triple dot eluded to, there are so many times, SO MANY, where dog owners just think everything revolves around their dogs. But, I do not. Hence the more aggressive attitude.

Lastly, I am sorry to have elevated my comments in the manner that I did, and I probably shouldn't have done so on this post (obviously several of us have skipped the original question). I definitely was not directing any of my "issues" toward any of you personally. Please forgive me if I offended any of you. (Also note, that I didn't use any "above the numbers symbols" in my post [&$@@#$%, etc]; in the hopes that those more inclined to appreciate the more useful ways to type would understand where I'm coming from.)

So, with that, I'm signing off of this post. See you in another!!!!

Peace friends, its all good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.