mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Riding DH at aspen/snowmass

I'm looking for some info on their DH scene. Is Valhalla the only real trail open? I see they are open through the weekend. Is it worth checking out with the dh bike? Is that Norba course open? Am I better off going down to evolution in created butte? Aspen is the one lift accessed park in co I have yet to experience firsthand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I know some of the Gravity Logic crew was there earlier in the summer. That's all I got.......

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The NORBA trail is open but the lift that goes to it is closed (only runs for races). Vahalla is a fun but nothing like the NORBA track.

Awesomist™
    Other than the MSC/NORBA/whatever course, I think everything at Snowmass (that I've ridden) can/should be done on a trail bike. Valhalla isn't super steep (it's a jump trail) and a "smaller" bike will carry more speed and be less effort. Everything else on the mountain is similar in pitch with lots of corners and such. Even the DH course *can* be ridden on a trail bike, but I think it's rough and fast enough that a downhill bike is better. YMMV.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Other than the MSC/NORBA/whatever course, I think everything at Snowmass (that I've ridden) can/should be done on a trail bike. Valhalla isn't super steep (it's a jump trail) and a "smaller" bike will carry more speed and be less effort. Everything else on the mountain is similar in pitch with lots of corners and such. Even the DH course *can* be ridden on a trail bike, but I think it's rough and fast enough that a downhill bike is better. YMMV.
    Sums it up pretty well. I completely agree that the DH can be ridden on a trail bike but it should be ridden on a DH. I watched a yeti 575 go through Hell's Kitchen and it looked sketchy. Really sketchy.

Valhalla is a fun trail but not worth the drive there. Go to Angel Fire, NM if you still want some lift riding.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So aspen only has one lift turning for bikes? The trail map looks so misleading. I might just go hit up granby then. I was hoping to hit angel fire next weekend