Resident Gear Head

Riding Colorado Springs Tuesday

So I am new to the sport and have been doing a lot of riding on Falcon Trail and a bit at Palmer. I don't really like Palmer Park and I have done Falcon too much recently, I need somewhere new. I have Tuesday off work but I do have plans at 1:30. I have been looking at Captain Jacks, Buckhorn Loop, and The Chutes on singletracks.com Is this a good loop? Does anyone have any tips or driving/riding directions? Also if anyone wants to join in let me know.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Yes, that's a really fun combination of loops. Cap'n Jacks has a lot of pea gravel on it and can be pretty loose at times--it might be a little daunting at first, but you will quickly get the feel for it. If you're in really good shape, you can start by riding up the Chutes, going up Gold Camp Road to Buckhorn, and then doing Jacks back down to Gold Camp and then back down the Chutes. That is a pretty solid ride though so you might be better off just driving to the top of North Cheyenne Canyon Rd and going up Buckhorn, down CJ's and then back up Gold Camp to where you parked. That loop is probably about 7 miles and about 1,200 feet of climbing. If you start at the Chutes, it's probably about 12 miles and 2,000 feet of climbing. (someone with a GPS can probably correct me with the exact stats and Strava KOM times )

Other areas I would recommend hitting are Cheyenne Mountain State Park and the Mt Herman Preserve in Monument. Both of those have a very similar feel to the Falcon Trail and have a lot of fun loops you can put together.

Resident Gear Head
    I have run Mt Herman, it was fun but the trail sorta ended and I got lost-ish. I connected some stuff but it was too short of a ride. I will prob try the shorter loop you described, thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I live right at the bottom of Cheyenne Canon and am free to ride this coming Tuesday starting about 10am. Let me know if you want a trail guide/company.

Resident Gear Head
    Pm sent

mtbr member
    Sounds like you might be on the north side of town. Have you ridden Ute Valley yet?

I'm like you, don't really like Palmer Park and ride Falcon too much. Ute is right out my front door, so I ride that a lot, too, and it's a great loop that you can piece together in lots of ways to keep it from getting too boring.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Resident Gear Head
    Yup I am on the north side of town. So far I have ridden five trails. Ute Valley, Garden of the Gods, Palmer, Falcon Trail, and Mt. Herman. Ute was fun but I ended up riding pretty much the same loop a few times. I will be back sometime soon since I haven't ridden it yet on the new bike.

It looks like dancesatmoonrise, kjbike, and myself will be riding Cheyenne Mountain on Tuesday around 10

Resident Gear Head
    Wow big thanks to kjbike for meeting up. You truly know the area and where to run, thanks for putting up with my noobie riding skills

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Everyday out on a MTB is a good day and you're definitely past the noobie stage.

the Chain Guy

Re: Riding Colorado Springs Tuesday

Were you guys on Gold Camp around 11? Kip, I think I saw you up on that big thing on the side of the road, shortly after the Chutes. I was driving after hiking 7 Bridges.

Resident Gear Head
    Yea that was him on top of that huge thing and me on the road looking up in awe lol

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Bismirle, yep that was us. I had just done the little sprint to ride up that rock wall; always a fun effort.

Proud American
    There seems to be good will on this thread.... so, if you don't mind.... I'll be renting a Bike from Criterium on the 20th for three days. I'm in town for a conference and would love to ride the favored trails between or after lectures. I ride a lot in southern Utah, Vegas and northern AZ. I'm really excited to check out the trails in CS. I'd welcome suggestions and or company if anybody is up for it. The conference is at the fancy hotel (can't remember name at moment) and I'm staying near the AF Acadamy.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    bluejudad - I'll be getting back to town either late the 20th or mid-day the 21st. I'll be riding at various times of day everyday and am happy to show you around any trails you want to hit. PM me if you want to meet up for a ride or 2.