mtbr member
    Apr 2005

riding around buckhorn canyon in northern CO?

The area around buckhorn canyon (west of fort collins) seems like it should have good trails for riding but I can't find any information anywhere. The area is forested foothills and is not wilderness and there seems to be a lot of OHV vehicles around there. Ive done parts of old flowers but like single track so much more than 4WD roads. Any leads?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ain't much singletrack up there. There's an old, overgrown trail dropping to Flowers from White Pine Mountain. Not really rideable, if you can even find it.

I know there's also riding up above Masonville in the burn area, but I've never gone up there and I'm not sure what it's like. I'd reccomend that you head over to the Eden Valley commune (or whtever that place is called) and ask an old hippie how to find the trails.

There are a few Jeep roads that are a bit of fun. I paticularly like White Pine Mountain (huge hucking potentiall off the waterbars). But nothing comes close to sweet singletrack.

Also, Larimer Co just purchased another swath of land up near Buckhorn Canyon that is as large as Horsetooth. But I'm not sure what their development plans are, or when it would open.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I was just up there ( just past Drake) last weekend having dinner with some friends and could not help thinking there has to be some kind of trail system dropping into Buckhorn.
    Lots of potential.

Moderator Moderator
    One of my co-workers owns a house on 60 acres located in redstone canyon, just north/east of Buckhorn. I asked him and he thinks most of the land is private property, ranches, etc running from masonville west to the ranger station (pennoch pass area). Due north of the ranger station is a great ride called Monument Gulch which can hook you up with the end of Old Flowers road headed back east or Pingree park road to the west.

Most of the stuff is OHV which I think is a lot of fun. Nothing like cresting Monument Gulch and bombing down to Old flowers rd.

The county did buy a bunch of land in the burn area which I believe hooks up near drake as another person mentioned. It's to be a recreation area which will have new trails I'm sure...but that is down the road.

Blue Sky opens up in a few months though! You can ride a lot of dirt just a handful of miles from downtown fort collins!!!
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What is Blue Sky???

Anyone know anything about trails on/near crystal mountain?

Where can you find info about the recently purchased larimer county land?

How about trails off of pingree park road?

Thanks for the replies, i intend to do a lot of exploring in the area this summer.

mtbr member
    I've been exploring that area a bit. There is one single track I think worthwhile doing. From the Ranger Station up to Donner Pass. You can then continue along the ridge west or east. Both ways lead eventually back to the Buckhorn Road. But that requires a bit navigation. Last time I went I turned east. First I found a really nice downhill, then I got lost in the OHV trails. Had to stop a bike and ask for directions. Nice guys!

Easier is of course out and back.

What to expect: Technically challenging ascend, whoopy descent. A few bad switchbacks right in the beginning. A wooden bridge, very slippery. Steep in sections. All in all - if you clean that trail you are a hero.

Moderator Moderator
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

slow
    Did our first exploration of the season up in Buckhorn tonight. No single tracks to report as of this trip. We climbed FR 513 until it ran into FR 132. Went north-west on 132 until it dead-ended at an old quartz mine. I don't recommend climbing 513 as it is steep (6500' to 8100' in 2 miles). We pushed quite a bit of it. Descending, on the other hand, was great. Lots of waterbars.

We also followed one trail created by motorcycles, but it ended in a dead end at the bottom of a hill.

Saw one moose and lots of moose tracks.

We plan to get up there a bunch more this summer and explore / try to map the area. Will post here what we find as we explore the area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

contains quinine
    Looks good regardless of single/doubletrackness. Can't wait to see more!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

I rode this trail in '93/4

Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    I've been exploring that area a bit. There is one single track I think worthwhile doing. From the Ranger Station up to Donner Pass. You can then continue along the ridge west or east. Both ways lead eventually back to the Buckhorn Road. But that requires a bit navigation. Last time I went I turned east. First I found a really nice downhill, then I got lost in the OHV trails. Had to stop a bike and ask for directions. Nice guys!

Easier is of course out and back.

What to expect: Technically challenging ascend, whoopy descent. A few bad switchbacks right in the beginning. A wooden bridge, very slippery. Steep in sections. All in all - if you clean that trail you are a hero.

Heading west at the top of the pass takes you towards RMNP and Signal Mtn. so head E. I did it on a 4th of July weekend and there were still pockets of snow at the pass in the heavy timber. Ditto about getting lost ! No map made, shows the cobweb of trails once you start heading east. I'd suggest taking a GPS if you're really looking to explore the area.

There are also 2 access points to the Donner Pass trail; from the Ranger Station or from "Old Ballard Road". There is some nice single track leading from the Ranger Station but it becomes a "game trail " and a 'hike" to get to the "trail" crossing on "Old Ballard Road". If you start from "OBR" it would a much easier ride and worth a visit and maybe a repeat but the ride from the Ranger Station isn't worth the time to drive up there.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    Heading west at the top of the pass takes you towards RMNP and Signal Mtn. so head E. I did it on a 4th of July weekend and there were still pockets of snow at the pass in the heavy timber. Ditto about getting lost ! No map made, shows the cobweb of trails once you start heading east. I'd suggest taking a GPS if you're really looking to explore the area.

There are also 2 access points to the Donner Pass trail; from the Ranger Station or from "Old Ballard Road". There is some nice single track leading from the Ranger Station but it becomes a "game trail " and a 'hike" to get to the "trail" crossing on "Old Ballard Road". If you start from "OBR" it would a much easier ride and worth a visit and maybe a repeat but the ride from the Ranger Station isn't worth the time to drive up there.
    Dave,
    Thanks for the info. On the next ride up there, we were thinking about parking at the ranger station and riding down to the Crystal Mountain road. Then climbing up Crystal Mtn Rd past Crystal Mountain to the trail that approaches Donner from the east up the Sheep Creek drainage (called trail #934 on the USFS map). From the top, we would either descend (on trail #926) back to the ranger station or continue east to road #154 and head north (just shy of the Wilderness boundary at Signal Mountain) back toward the Ranger Station . All of these plans are made from maps, and not experience, so I would appreciate any suggestions.

As far as your GPS suggestion, I believe you are right. It would have made a difference for us on Tuesday. I'd like to map the route prior to going up, upload the waypoints,and then follow it around. There is definitely a cobweb of trails and roads up there. One rider with us Tuesday had a Garmin Forerunner, so we were able to see where we had been once back to town. In one area, the road had apparently been re-routed since the last USGS update to the quad for the area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

what does not kill me

old ridemonkey.. now have OHV, been in this area a bunch

cool..

was looking for info on old ballard road and lookout mountain. there is a hiking trail up there

http://www.landscapeimagery.com/lookout.html

no geocaches.. http://www.geocaching.com

yet

be in touch

justin in loveland
    mr oldschool

trail waggler

'Beware...

Of 'Mischievous Migz's' and Tenacious Texas Lou's'...
    Last edited by daveM; 03-12-2007 at 04:58 PM.
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

what does not kill me
    damn.. i lost my decoder ring

... what?

Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    Of 'Mischievous Migz's' and Tenacious Texas Lou's'...

holding back the darkness
    I've been on some singletrack up there and it is gooood. But it is not without a price. There are some burly climbs involved and some nasty hike-a-biking. Some of the trails up there are old hiking trails that have probably never seen a maintenance crew. The crux of this is that you can get 10 miles into a loop and be stopped by hundreds of yards of rocky washed-out vertical climbing. I'm not saying that this is bad... just that it's backcountry. If anyone has an interest, I'm planning on doing some GPS mapping of the area as soon as conditions allow (and my bike gets finished). I should be able to export the maps as Google Earth Files for all to enjoy. Let me know if anyone wants to go on an expedition. It has all the ingredients of an Epic.
    **** censorship

mtbr member

I am up for it!

Just send me a PM or post when you plan to launch the expedition. I'd love to join in.

I still remember my first trip into the area and getting lost when a trail simply vanished. I got lost later, too as trail signs are rare out there...

Cheers

Klaus

what nice teeth you have
    Lees has a mtb guide book thats local. there isn't much in there for the buckhorn area. If you interested in doing the poudre area Kelly flats to Seven Mile Creek (awsome) is a great ride. Mostly OHV but plenty of fun on a mtb.

what does not kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    I've been on some singletrack up there and it is gooood. But it is not without a price. There are some burly climbs involved and some nasty hike-a-biking. Some of the trails up there are old hiking trails that have probably never seen a maintenance crew. The crux of this is that you can get 10 miles into a loop and be stopped by hundreds of yards of rocky washed-out vertical climbing. I'm not saying that this is bad... just that it's backcountry. If anyone has an interest, I'm planning on doing some GPS mapping of the area as soon as conditions allow (and my bike gets finished). I should be able to export the maps as Google Earth Files for all to enjoy. Let me know if anyone wants to go on an expedition. It has all the ingredients of an Epic.

ditto that, i would like to go too, have GPS and either the singelspeed or the beast of freeride tankdom...

ha

but yes, i would be interested if i am avail.

justin