Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Riding above your ability...without realizing it...

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  KarateChicken 
#1 ·
This comes up a lot about not riding above your skill level. my stance is that you should ride above your skill level...but in small steps.

Sooooo.....

I BMXed for many many years...street, dirt jump, etc. I progressed slowly at that time, and never had anything more than scrapes and bruises. Used to flow trails, grind hand rails, etc. Now I'm so psyched that my desire to BMX has blossomed again (27 now, and ~8-9 years since I truly rode bmx). However.... my problem is I remember how good I used to be, and I feel like my mind is still wired into saying "no problem". This weekend...my injuries include a slight concussion, torn up palm, knuckles, knees and shoulder, swollen thigh, and a fingernail that will probably fall off in a week. Obviously, I'm taking this too far too quickly...but it still feels so right until I actually take the fall. With that said...I've obviously learned my lesson this weekend to back off a bit. I can't trust my instincts with this anymore...

Does anyone relate to this feeling after taking a lot of time off a hobby and then jumping back into it? Just interested in seeing if other people have run into a... I guess I can say..."tough guy" mode...but unknowingly.

And to add...when I wished my Dad happy father's day today, I told him I was goign dirt jumping today...he just sighed and said "remember you're not 13 anymore". He couldn't have been more right...obviously...but you know....

-Nick

See less See more
#2 ·
What you've just experienced is the phenomenon of your ability writing checks your body can't cash.

For those who've gone pretty far in a sport, taking a long break then coming back, taking it what you'd feel is abnormally easy the first few weeks would be so very well advised. Slower reflexes, and lack of fitness, rusty muscle memory all points to things, "ending in tears."

Take note SS: this is why I don't run zipper-lines down Outhouse at the Jane anymore :D

#3 ·
What you've just experienced is the phenomenon of your ability writing checks your body can't cash.
I'm good at that. In my mind I'm 1/3 Pastrana, 1/3 Atherton and 1/3 McCaul. In real life I'm 7/8ths desk jockey.

OP - hopefully the concussion isn't from lack of a helmet. I have never understood that about BMX. Concrete is the last place I want to crash without a brain bucket. With age comes realizing the value of protective gear.

#4 ·
My offseason sport is bouldering. At one time, I was strong at it, ever since then it seems I get an overuse injury in my first month returning and spend half the winter recovering and the other half just barely getting back into it, then the trails dry. See you next winter, pulley injury.

#8 ·
With age comes realizing the value of protective gear.
You got that right.. I try to find every imaginable piece of armor possible. No need to have an ego about it, we all crash..[/QUOTE]

No doubt. I was at Winter Park yesterday watching kids less than half my age riding with just knee pads and a full face helmet. I had on a full face, neck brace, full upper body armor and knee/shin pads. If I could have found hip pads I would have had those on, too. Dang whippersnappers.

#18 ·
I actually did something similar to this, but it was with skateboarding. I was around 35yr old or so at the time, but decided to buy a new board to see what I got's left ( mild middle age crisis behavior?). I actually remember Christian Hosoi being in town promoting his movie "Rising Son" and finally got to meet him. I'm sure this dates me to some degree. Anyway, my skills had diminished so much that I actually got dizzy on a half pipe...I kid you not. Suffice it to say my balancing skills in the brain were WAY off. Felt like I had never skated before in my life. Not to mention these damn boards are like old school freestyle small (another topic). So now I bought an old school board (10" wide by 32") which seems normal to me, with some soft arse wheels and just cruise around like the old bastard I am. I will sneak in a board slide or ollie, and perhaps a bonless one, here and there for old times sake.

#20 ·
And to add...when I wished my Dad happy father's day today, I told him I was goign dirt jumping today...he just sighed and said "remember you're not 13 anymore". He couldn't have been more right...obviously...but you know....
haha my dad tells me the same thing everytime I go to race my dirt bike. I go through the same thing as you but learned to slow down alittle. I found in my racing going alittle faster and crashing is alot slower than just staying on two wheels. I am also racing in a "vet" class (30+) so everyone in my class is in the same boat. Just gotta take baby steps and know your limits. Stuff takes longer to heal than when you were 13 now too.

#21 · (Edited)
gearwhine, I too came from a BMX background, and it has gotten me into trouble as well.

Crashing is part of learning and progressing in BMX. In MTB, speeds and terrain make for much more violent crashes, and should not be part of progressing. But the "trained" BMX mind will want to reach for the next trail goody without the experience to back it up, thinking it is ok to crash. (like the cash statement posted above)

You already know your body is communicating that you are over-reaching. Listen to it. Make the ego listen to it. And in the meantime, focus on flow (in control) rather than big (edge of control). Same fun, less risk. Then as your MTB skills redevelop, you can start pushing it. IMHO, flow is more fun anyways. Styling the trail.

Also, don't get sucked into the competing with the buds. If they are going faster and bigger, let em, and congratulate them. You'll get there, just later and in one piece. And they will appreciate you riding in your abilities (rather than wondering when they are going to have to cart you off) When my riding buds start leaving me in the dust, I have to tell myself, "Don't take the bait!". Then I can stop focusing on what they are doing and focus on the fun I can have on the trail within my abilities.

I wear knee and elbow pads as I know sh*t happens and I'd rather get up laughing than crying.

P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.