Thread: Riding

Cynical Bystander

Riding

So unfortunately over the last year my riding amount has slowly decreased until it became virtually non-existant (unfortunately much like my status here...). I don't even really know why it happened, other than it slowly became more and more easy to make excuses. I think the biggest one was that I was stuck at school and somehow found other things that were easier to run off and do. Absurdly lame of course (except for having a record ski season ).

Until recently with the ski season pretty much over, I'd become almost completely lethargic. Now for the last few months I've wanted to start actually getting into shape--since I never really was back when I was riding--and figured that I would start running. Finally a good friend of mine had me go to the Jack Quinn's Running Club leisurely 5k down here in the Springs when it was at the Boulder Running Company. After getting fitted for some nice shoes at the time, I've been hooked since.

Anyways...
    What does this have to do with riding?

So for the last month I've been following a running program to get me so that I'm able to run a solid 30minutes non-stop. I've found myself becoming more and more interested in getting fit and am having a blast doing it. Just a week ago I got onto my road bike for the first time in probably six or seven months (hey, Calc II was a b*tch and took a lot of studying time lol) and it was FANTASTIC. Although I obviously don't have the endurance I would like, I'm getting back into it. The indescribable rush of tucking low downhill and keeping up with cars. The pain of spinning up a hill. MAGNIFICENT. And tonight topped it all off. It's a 'rest day' for running and I couldn't bare it any longer. I finally took out my hardtail that has been neglected for even longer than my road bike: there wasn't anywhere at school to keep it. Just turning the cranks and hearing the rachety click of the free hub in back was nothing less than therapeutic. Pumping into the Shiver SC (yeah I'm old school-ish) and zigzagging down the street was complete nirvana.

Right, well, um. I suppose the point of this post was that sometimes you become so engulfed in your passion that you forget why you're doing it and why you love it--even if that means pretty much abandoning it for almost a year to get motivated back into it.

And... with the school year coming up fairly soon I'll be more motivated than ever to get back into riding. I've got a house in Golden off South Golden Road that I'll be staying in starting a few weeks from now and would love to ride with people. Right now I've only got my roadie and the dj bike but I suppose I'd really be down for whatever. And if anybody wants to go running I'm down too . I'm currently doing about 3miles MWFS and am going to do riding of some sort hopefully every day.

*And if anybody has a cheap fixie they want to unload for someone to commute to School of Mines, on then I'd love to take it*

Tony
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Hairshirt Rider
    Good to see you are getting "back on the horse". Too much good riding around Golden (and here in town) to miss out on.

Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12

*And if anybody has a cheap fixie they want to unload for someone to commute to School of Mines, on then I'd love to take it*
    You can do so much better than becoming just another hipster. Hit the garage sales and pick a classic three speed with old school grip shift and fenders. If that doesn't suit, craigslist will fix you up in no time.

eci
    tony is alive!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What's up dude, I'm in the Springs for the time being, lets go hit Palmer one of these days. Tomorrow may be a short work day for me, let me know if you're up for a ride. I might be hungover, and out of shape.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Good on ya, man!

Every time someone goes for a run... God kills a kitten.

Inflexable...
    I was wondering about you just the other day. Good to have you back!

Now get on a bike and ride. NOW!!!
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

Cynical Bystander
    Lol yeah Todd, somehow I'm still alive. We should go riding soon, you're just over in Lakewood right?

Danny, I think I've got plans for today so maybe this weekend?

Haha, good thing I hate kittens.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Stand back
    Where on S. Golden are ya?
    Let me know when you're back and want to ride. I run too, but only when I can't ride.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Cynical Bystander
    It's like a block from Mannie & Bo's off of 12th. It even has a nice sized backyard with no grass growing in it, so I'm thinking I might ask the guy leasing it to us if I can build a pumptrack or some jumps. I figure he might since he rode up on a Ti Moots bike when he met me there.

Jerry I'm pretty sure we need to go riding since it's been WAY too long. Where do you live in Golden?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    It's like a block from Mannie & Bo's off of 12th. It even has a nice sized backyard with no grass growing in it, so I'm thinking I might ask the guy leasing it to us if I can build a pumptrack or some jumps. I figure he might since he rode up on a Ti Moots bike when he met me there.

Jerry I'm pretty sure we need to go riding since it's been WAY too long. Where do you live in Golden?
    Just north of 93 and 6th.
    I'm also trying to negotiate a backyard pt.
    Was CB the last time we rode together?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!