mtbr member
    Jan 2011

ridgline in castle rock

Watch out for the rattlers, have seen three on my last 2 rides there.

mtbr member
    Wow! I ride Ridgeline twice a week and haven't seen any rattlers yet this year. Maybe I've just been blissfully ignorant.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Wait...

Rattlesnakes on Front Range trails?

UNPOSSIBLE!

mtbr member
    Rattle snake reminders are never a bad idea. It helps keep others from becoming complacent when they haven't seen any for awhile, like me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernina View Post
    Rattle snake reminders are never a bad idea. It helps keep others from becoming complacent when they haven't seen any for awhile, like me.
    Thats why i wrote this up, as i was trying to get one off the trail some others came by and thought i was just sitting in the middle of the trail until i showed them. They said i didn't know there are rattle snakes here. Just goes to show you.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernina View Post
    Wow! I ride Ridgeline twice a week and haven't seen any rattlers yet this year. Maybe I've just been blissfully ignorant.
    Thanks for the invite. Appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    Thanks for the invite. Appreciate it.
    Umm...did I invite you or the snakes? You are welcome to join me. The snakes, not so much.

mtbr member
    The snakes were there again tonight!

Soulforce Cycling

ridgline in castle rock

I've seen rattlers five times so far this summer. I even saw one on the Platte River bike path. Prior to this summer I'd seen one total (Apex) since I moved to Colorado in 2000.

Here is one at Chatfield.
    Soulforce Cycling | Riding apparel from size Small to 5XL. Visit us at - http://www.soulforcecycling.com

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    The snakes were there again tonight!
    See - that's why I've been riding after the knuckle heads go to bed. 9:30, too cool, no snakes on the trail.
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    See - that's why I've been riding after the knuckle heads go to bed. 9:30, too cool, no snakes on the trail.
    You do know that they are more active at night, right? Better hunting for them. They lay around during the day in the heat to help digest the food.

The 5th knuckle
    I was told by a herpetologist that below 70 degrees they are pretty chill. I'm sticking to it. I've dealt way too much with them when I used to work in Rangely and Craig. One side of the river are little prairie bastages who sound exactly like all the cicadas and other insects until you feel this thump on your calf. Thank goodness for snake chaps and good boots. On the other side of the river are the big ol' don't jack with me or I'll mess you up rattlers. One of the rig hands used to think it was funny to mess with me all the time. It ended when I put a 5-6 foot snake in the cab of his truck. Never screwed with me any more.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

ridgline in castle rock

As a former JCOS worker I know that the few bites that I have heard of that have occurred in the last 20 years or so on JCOS trails were trail runners (wearing earbuds usually) and a hiker at Falcon where one was coiled on the back side of a waterbar. I have never heard of a MTBer being bitten. (That's not to say it hasn't happened but...)

I remember my JCOS leader telling me that the bikes are typically too fast and confusing for them to even strike. That being said, he also commented that we as MTBers would be more likely to get bit when we get off the bike to sit down etc. just as a hiker would. In addition I learned they can and do control their venom flow and if a bite is in self-defense as it would be in these scenarios, they often do not release a large amount of venom so not all bites are equal. Also, as most of us know, the babies do not control their venom as well and have a higher concentrated venom. They also look like bull snakes since their markings and rattles have not matured and as such are often mistaken as their non-poisonous counterparts.

I have seen my fair share (probably about 15) in 20 years of growing up here and riding most of that time. Sometimes I'll go an entire season and never see one. Other times I have seen two in a week or so. July and August seem to be when I have seen them most and as another said, they seem most lively during these months. I have basically never seen one from generally about October through April an I ride year round. I have seen them on Chimney, NTM, Apex, Dakota/MW, Falcon and White Ranch. Usually if I'm climbing I see them with plenty of space between us and they are fairly loud. Sometimes they will relax and slither off and other times they won't budge. Going down I have bunny hopped them or bumped over them but always stretched out. I've never encountered one down that's coiled. The only time that almost happened a guy had stopped me as he was going up and had already encountered it. He had killed it by the rather simple but effective method of throwing a rock on it. With rattlers being far from an endangered species this did not bother me personally although I did let him know that was probably not okay to do on public lands (though as far as I have researched it is legal on your own property.)

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear other folks' experiences as well, especially what you've observed with them over time of living and riding here on the front range.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill