mtbr member

Ridgeline (Castle Rock)

I'm thinking of riding the Ridgeline Rampage in a few weeks, but have never ridden the trails and, aside from the three reviews on mtbr.com and the course description on the race website, have never seen nor heard anything about the trails.

The promoters refer to the trails as more challenging than Bear Creek, but from reading the other reviews I'm guessing they're talking about elevation change, not technical aspects of the trail.

My question(s): 1) just how technical are the techie bits, and 2) are the trails rigid-friendly?

TIA,

Mudge

Home of the Gravedigger
    I live in CR and have not heard of the Rampage....what is it? Anyway, the trail is completely rigid friendly. I ride a rigid SS on that trail often. The trail is fast and flowy with some tight switchbacks. I can't think of any technical sections at all......I say go for it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkaber
    I live in CR and have not heard of the Rampage....what is it? Anyway, the trail is completely rigid friendly. I ride a rigid SS on that trail often. The trail is fast and flowy with some tight switchbacks. I can't think of any technical sections at all......I say go for it!
    http://www.warriorscycling.com/event...ne-rampage.php

I was asking the question 'cause I'm thinking of riding my monstercross for the event. I'm set up w/ 34/46 up front, 12x36 in the back, w/ 1.9" tires, so I'm thinking it's do-able.

Home of the Gravedigger
    That sounds like a great set up. I ride a 32x21 without much difficulty. It sounds like a great race, but I'll probably pass on it. My fear is if I ride 60 miles at Ridgeline I may never want to ride it again! This is the trail that I ride 80% of the time, so I think this event would really burn me out on Ridgeline. Good luck out there!

Formerly Carlos9
    i too ride a rigid ss out there. honestly, you could ride it on a $200 hybrid! nothing technical at all, 2-3 easy to moderate climbs and smooth flowing single track. have fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos9
    i too ride a rigid ss out there. honestly, you could ride it on a $200 hybrid! nothing technical at all, 2-3 easy to moderate climbs and smooth flowing single track. have fun.
    Any estimates on amount of feet of climbing per 10 mile lap?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ridgeline is great fun and some of the new sections they have completed this spring are great additions. No real tech riding on ridgeline, some of the new sections do have some steep inclines but they are very short sections. I personally like ridgeline going south to north better than north to south, however I would not be picky. If you haven't gone out there yet, its worth the ride. Its a great hidden gem.

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD

about 1200ft... most of it is flatish, with a few small steep climbs of 20-30ft in length. the rest of them come where the trail ascends onto the ridgeline. all the access points are below the ridgeline, so theres an initial climb no matter where you start and the trail drops down on the east and west sides so you climb back up there too. none if the climbs are difficult, rocky or technical.

i usually access it from bison park as its in the middle of the loops and gives you more options on routes.

Alaskan in exile.

Fwiw...

Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    Here's all the loops, both directions. Accuracy for mileage & elevation gain depends on how much you trust a gps...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84350971
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

mtbr member
    During the race, Is there much room to pass (or be pased in my case)?
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's the one problem with Ridgeline as a race course its all singletrack so passing might be trickey. But thats why they are having a endurance race and not a standard XC race.

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzattack
    During the race, Is there much room to pass (or be pased in my case)?
    once you get up on top of the ridges a lot of the trail is in wide open "grassland" which would leave room for passing but a lot of it is in scrub oak or has a decent drop on one side of the trail. if you timed it right you could find opportunities to pass/be passed!

mtbr member
    They are having a standard XC race later in the day for Sport and Beginner riders. Just FYI.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by discodave
    That's the one problem with Ridgeline as a race course its all singletrack so passing might be trickey. But thats why they are having a endurance race and not a standard XC race.
    Later in the day they are starting the 30 mile (3 laps), 20 mile and 10 mile.

mtbr member
    That race will take a lot of mental toughness. To not die of boredom!
    1 lap is ok. 2 would bore me. 6 laps, no effing way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I road it last night for the first time and I was actually very impressed with the trail system. Its pretty switchy and many of the corners have loose gravel, so at speed you have to stay focused. I was on my 29 SS and ran a 32x19 and I might gear up a bit more. Apparently they have built more trails recently (a local told me this) so the base map from Warriors isn't entirely accurate. I think a lot of the single track is wide enough for tight passing. I'm on board, it will be fun.

RME
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Glad to hear that you are all stoked about the new race! We are excited to bring a race to Castle Rock!
    For more information check out our website.
    http://www.warriorscycling.com

See you all in a couple weeks!

Rekrul
    Looking forward to my first XC race this year at Ridgeline!

Don

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm running a 32x19 as well. By gearing up did you mean to a 21ish? Do you think an 18 or 16 would be too much for those short climbs? Was there much spinning out with the 19?
    Thanks for the info.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    so mudge- you still doing this race??

Rode two laps on the course yesterday- pretty fun stuff!!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

The 5th knuckle
    Here is a look at ridgeline. Just forget about the paintbrush section. From coachline and around is the course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    so mudge- you still doing this race??

Rode two laps on the course yesterday- pretty fun stuff!!
    Matter of fact, I am. I didn't make it last year, but plan to this year. I also plan to get back into the TITS rides.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    Matter of fact, I am. I didn't make it last year, but plan to this year. I also plan to get back into the TITS rides.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    PBR, if you did the course in 58 mins stop and taking pictures I hate to think how fast you can ride it, I thought my 50:20 on Sunday was fast, you still must be faster than me.