Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rides in Breckenridge

2K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Flyer 
#1 ·
I am planning on riding in Breck tomorrow but I don't know where to go. Can anyone recommend a 20 or so mile ride with some good climbing but not too crazy or technical. Thanks

#7 ·
Endless options for what you're looking for. Start with the trail reviews in this site. There have been several Summit County trail threads on this and the West slope forum lately. They have fallen off the first couple pages but there are lot's of ideas in those threads. The local newspaper publishes a local ride guide that gives a lot of good ideas and it's widely available and free. There's also a good guide book that all the bike shops should have as well as the Lat 40 map.

It's been pretty wet lately but it's supposed to begin to dry out a little. You might be able to get above treeline without worrying about T-storms if the weather plays out according to forecast. The wildflowers are really going off right now!

I have tons of 20ish mile loops but they are an assimilation of single track and jeep roads with lots of twists and turns. None of the are secret but they're pretty hard to describe if you don't know the lay of the land.

#8 ·
3rd the peaks trail out and back all the way to Frisco is about 20miles, link up some of the Breck town trails if you still have4 legs when you get back. it's not crazy technical, but rocky and rooty most of the was

get the ride guide, free, or drop a few bucks on the latitude 40 bike map for Summit County

another good option, is the west ridge loop, it's in the guide book, on the colorado trail from the dredge lot on tiger run road. it's got a somewhat lengthy climb but you get a 7mile dh for it.

#9 ·
SkaredShtles said:
I used to ride the trails a lot. So most of my knowledge is historical. :D

Maybe this will be more helpful - do a search: http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php

:rolleyes:
I think it was SS who mentioned Peaks on a post I saw. :p

Another one is to ride 6 miles or so up Tiger road and you will see the Co Trail trailhead that crosses that road. I'm not sure where it goes (left or right) but I think right goes to Georgia Pass and left goes to who knows where..still a great trail though.

#10 ·
Flyer said:
<snip>
Another one is to ride 6 miles or so up Tiger road and you will see the Co Trail trailhead that crosses that road. I'm not sure where it goes (left or right) but I think right goes to Georgia Pass and left goes to who knows where..still a great trail though.
GA Pass to the right and Gold Hill (back to Hwy 9 & Tiger Rd) to the left. You have to climb West Ridge if you go left...

#12 ·
I've found that the latitude 40 maps solve all my "where to ride" questions. Just a thought. Went to Crested Butte last week and pulled 12 or so hours of riding just by using there local Latitude rag. Good luck, the Breck stuff is pretty eye opening. Good all around IMHO.

#13 ·
denveryeti said:
Check out the Warriors Cycling website - http://www.warriorscycling.com/events/breck.php. You could do a loop from the Breck 100. I would highly recommend loop #2 - the area out by Dredge has some amazing singletrak with views of the 10 mile range. If you choose to do this loop, make sure that you do it in the same direction that the race does - counter-clockwise.
This dude has it right fa sho! I've done the area around loop 2 and did the loop 3 in the Breck 100. I'd say if you are riding only one day, take his advice and do loop 2. It will beat you down and you get to ride ( walk) Little French Gulch. Good luck driving home after, it;s 32 miles that will feel like 50.

#15 ·
Lat 40 map for sure will help. For a good climb & around 24 miles ride up Keystone Gulch Road (+ - 7 miles)to the West Ridge trail then down the Colo Trail to the Dredge Boat valley then North (right turn) over to the Soda Ridge Trail back to the Summit Cove area. From Summit Cove ride back up to the Aquaduct trail over to your car at the Keystone Gulch trailhead. If you miss the Summit Cove trail up to Aquaduct you can always take the paved path back over to Keystone.

#19 ·
Pink Lady said:
This should help. I just did a mapquest from Denver to ski hill road.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Den...0424&2y=US&2l=39.4823&2g=-106.04675&2v=STREET

Anyway, ride up Ski Hill Road until it turns to dirt and you will clearly see the trailhead on the left. The trail is marked really well the entire way.
I'd recommend driving only as far as Frisco and doing the out & back TO Breck. That way you're doing the "mostly" downhill portion of the trip at the end. That trail is just LOADS of fun. :thumbsup:

#23 ·
Cool, that is what I wanted to do, from frisco to the top, then back down, need trailhead directions from Frisco, can anyone help?

SkaredShtles said:
I'd recommend driving only as far as Frisco and doing the out & back TO Breck. That way you're doing the "mostly" downhill portion of the trip at the end. That trail is just LOADS of fun. :thumbsup:

#24 ·
there are two ways to get to the Peaks from Frisco. One is the Miners Creek trail head near the County Commons on Miners Creek road. Park at the trailhead, ride up the road, cross the bike path and ride the dirt road for about 1/2 mile toil you hit the Peaks.
You can also hit the Peaks trailhead proper off the end of Second Avenue. Just get on Second Avenue and follow it to the end across the bike path.

#25 · (Edited)
Breck rides

I am an out of stater who traveled to Breck last week. We stayed in a condo on the south side of town. I picked up a copy of the Summitt County Bike Guide, it was real helpful.
I did several rides, all from the Condo.
Here is how they rated.
1 - CT up Tiger road, up middle fork, left on the CT along Wise Mtn, once on the trail just follow the signs, total 30 miles from town. This is a fantastic ride.
2 - Blue River /Pennsylvania/Indiana - Go up Boreas Pass take a right, this is a loop, 14 miles.
3- Sallie Barber Mine - Go up Wellington road - 10 miles- pretty tame ride, the best part is when you come back down I found some great little singletrack, Jacks Cruel Joke was fun.
4- Bakers tank loop - Up Boreas Pass, if you ride from town and it's about 12 miles, good singletrack coming down.
5 - Borro Trail, this is a nasty rocky affair that is more fun coming down, 7 + miles.

This was just a portion of the trails in Breck a good place to ride

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.