Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Ride today?

  1. #1
    deez nuts
    Reputation: shaft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    210

    Ride today?

    Is anyone riding along the front range today? If so when and what trails would be rideable?

    Thanks,

    Shaft

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    575
    I was thinking so. I havent been here for winter riding yet, but i heard Dakota Ridge is amost always dry/rideable.

    TP

  3. #3
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,861
    As much as I'd like to see everyone's smiling faces stop by the shop, stay away from Hall Ranch. It'll be a mess for several more days. We got a ton of snow up here and it's finally melting today.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  4. #4
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,556
    I'm thinking about the hobbits. There will be snow on the ground but what the hey. Currently 41˚.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pluto Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I'm thinking about the hobbits. There will be snow on the ground but what the hey. Currently 41?.
    Habit dude, not Hobbit. The first ever published account of these trails can be found here, back in '99. Referred to as the Habit Trails.

    http://offcamber.com/igssc99story.htm

    They were named after a hamster habitat home system, with all the twists and such. No Hobbits anywhere in sight...Hobbits prefer lush meadows and ground for farming (as any Tolkien reader knows)...no farm land on West Mag.

  6. #6
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    Unless you LOVE mud, by all means, go ride!

    I thought about shuttling (cough, cough) Chimney Gultch to help a friend test ride some rigs. If its not snowed under, its gonna be sloppy.

    Concrete urban may keep you dry!

  7. #7
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,711

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by Three Phase
    I was thinking so. I havent been here for winter riding yet, but i heard Dakota Ridge is amost always dry/rideable.

    TP
    Give full report! I'll be there Tuesday


    This should be a sticky thread 'til spring.
    Whats dry now?
    How does this trail look??????
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    124
    Did Croiser today, Frontrangemigz just happened to get there at the same time. We had a blast!!!

  9. #9
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluto Pilot
    Habit dude, not Hobbit. The first ever published account of these trails can be found here, back in '99. Referred to as the Habit Trails.

    http://offcamber.com/igssc99story.htm

    They were named after a hamster habitat home system, with all the twists and such. No Hobbits anywhere in sight...Hobbits prefer lush meadows and ground for farming (as any Tolkien reader knows)...no farm land on West Mag.
    well, that certainly makes sense, unfortunately It seems that 'hobbit' has stuck with many people. I'm merely regurgitating what I've heard. I'll make it a habit to call them by their correct nomenclature . Ba dum chang!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pluto Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    well, that certainly makes sense, unfortunately It seems that 'hobbit' has stuck with many people. I'm merely regurgitating what I've heard. I'll make it a habit to call them by their correct nomenclature . Ba dum chang!
    Yes, I know. The maps have Hobbit too. 100 years from now, they will be known as the Hobbit Trails, probably the result of some bloke who couldn't pronounce, or thought he was Gandalf the ****ing Grey after stumbling out of one of the four-hour epic movies and then passed it on. A mere eight years later, and history has been butchered.

  11. #11
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,556
    I never was a big fan of tolkien anyway. Long live the habitrails.

  12. #12
    Now with 20% more fat!!
    Reputation: JSD303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,026
    Buffalo Creek was beautiful... it was a little tough with a few inches of snow, but no mud whatsoever. Got a good 16 miles in and stoked it was so nice out.

  13. #13
    TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Reputation: KERKOVEJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,040
    Does the road bike count? Rode from Fort Collins to the CX race in Louisville and back. Perfect weather....can't complain.


  14. #14
    single track ****
    Reputation: front range migz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    625

    I concur

    Quote Originally Posted by Whyteboy
    Did Croiser today, Frontrangemigz just happened to get there at the same time. We had a blast!!!

    it was a blast! Good riding with you. We'll have to do it again soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,711
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    I thought about shuttling (cough, cough) Chimney Gultch to help a friend test ride some rigs.
    Ya know, the logistics of a ChimChim shuttle are much simpler than that of Apex...
    and the trail has a few less blind corners
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  16. #16
    Feeding your addiction
    Reputation: Ventanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by front range migz
    it was a blast! Good riding with you. We'll have to do it again soon.
    Nice!! I was thinking of hitting that in the next couple of days with the Pugsley.

    Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    124
    Not enough snow for a pugz yet Larry!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Asha'man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    117
    I hit Hidden Mesa yesterday, it was pretty decent. Bike is all muddy now, though, and I live in an apartment. Kinda wondering how to clean this **** off....
    - Brian
    '07 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er - stock
    '99 Giant Iguana SE
    '86 4Runner
    '86 SVO

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: screamingbunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    413

    think I saw ya

    up at the mesa, judging by your 07 GF 29er signature line. I was the fat guy on the red Blur, how was the desent off the mesa?

  20. #20
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,556
    hit up the neighborhood loop and 359 to gross res










  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Asha'man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny
    up at the mesa, judging by your 07 GF 29er signature line. I was the fat guy on the red Blur, how was the desent off the mesa?
    Ha yep, that was me. Descent was good, although the rocky slope was kinda sketch with all the snow and I was definitely grateful for discs, and my fingertips and lower calves got really cold on the way down. Did you come up that way too, or from the other side of the mesa?
    - Brian
    '07 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er - stock
    '99 Giant Iguana SE
    '86 4Runner
    '86 SVO

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: screamingbunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    413

    yep

    that direction seams the best way to ride, gives you a great desent down to the car. Had fun on the desent myself but the last hairpin was a bit slick....good fun

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Asha'man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    117
    Oh yeah, good times. My bad on coming down that ledge in the rocks, you had right of way there.
    - Brian
    '07 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er - stock
    '99 Giant Iguana SE
    '86 4Runner
    '86 SVO

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Give full report! I'll be there Tuesday


    This should be a sticky thread 'til spring.
    Whats dry now?
    How does this trail look??????

    I rode Dakota Ridge & Red Rocks loop. Conditions were overall very rideable. A little slick in a few spots but not bad at all. Teusday should be even better weather permitting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (55.1 KB, 227 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (97.5 KB, 224 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (36.1 KB, 230 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (108.6 KB, 224 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (82.9 KB, 224 views)

  25. #25
    Front Range XC
    Reputation: mcdelroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    180

    Rode White Ranch today

    Did a quick climb on Belcher Hill today. Its drying out nicely. Most of the snow is down low in the shade. Very ridable.

    Marc
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •