Thread: Ride of Silence

mtbr member

Ride of Silence

Many of us also ride on the road or at least ride our mountain bikes on the road to get to the trails. Tomorow evening at 7:00 PM, the Ride of Silence will begin in North America and roll across the globe. Cyclists will take to the roads in a silent procession to honor cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways. Although cyclists have a legal right to share the road with motorists, the motoring public often isn't aware of these rights, and sometimes not aware of the cyclists themselves.

There are a few Colorado rides listed I'm helping organize the one in Colorado Springs. I have a little on my blog about it and plan on adding more information tonight.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Not to be callus, since we've had 2 cyclists killed in Ft. Collins in the last year, but with their windows rolled up, talking on their cell phones, pumping their bass up, motorists can't tell if you're silent or not. A big group ride/ Parade just gives them a bigger target and pisses off the already road raged personalities.

How will the people that see you, even know what your riding for ? Is it for your own soul cleansing benefit ? There's more effective ways to increase awareness than just going out on a ride, which is all the public here in CO will see. If you want to see public involvement and change, than get the mainstream media to report on the ride; TV, radio, newspapers, etc. because this is the first time I've ever heard of it. Unless you've paid for a lot of media space tonight/tomorrow morning, you're ride won't accomplish anything. Sorry.

mtbr member
    I've been concerned the last few years about motorists not knowing what the ride was about. I'm going to see if we can put a sign on the side of a Xtracycle and also have riders wear arm bands. We also need to make sure we obey traffic laws.

Jackass
    ultrarob,
    While I agree with onbelaydave on several of his points, as a frequent commuter I appreciate your effort and I will be there.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

Jackass
    Unfortunately something has come up and I will not be able to attend. Ride Safe!
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Reminds me of Critical Mass. This started the year I graduated High School, and really does nothing more than piss off motorists, off which creates more of a polarized viewpoint rather than understanding. The people that did participate (alot) just drove through the streets completely stopping any kind of motor traffic for miles and miles. I think it still goes on today in alot of cities. I do agree there needs to be awareness though.

http://critical-mass.info/
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder