mtbr member

Ride the Rockies

Has anybody gotten the chance for this ride?

I know it's a Mountain bike forum but it still is the epic ride of the summer season. I am just asking with the lottery format does a single even stand a chance ?

If I get in I'll have to think about getting a skinny tire bike.

http://www.ridetherockies.com

mtbr member
    My ex-pop-in-law used to ride it. It seems like a good time if you're prepared enough.

If you want to do some MTB rides like this check out the Fat Tire Classic in Winter Park and Crested Butte's Fat Tire week (haven't been to this one, FTC in WP is a blast).
    The Elephant Rock ride in Castle Rock is also fun and I know lots of people do that for a RTR warmup.
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Ride the Rockies is an absolute Blast! I'm not sure what chance you stand in the lottery, but all you can do is try. I think you would enjoy it much more on a road bike.

Good luck.

friend of Apex
    Hmmm, maybe a mountain bike road trip is in order for that week.
    Should be nice and empty.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Tribe Member

WP ride no longer around.

Quote Originally Posted by DSFA
    If you want to do some MTB rides like this check out the Fat Tire Classic in Winter Park.
    The WP ride has not happened for a couple of years.

RTR is a great week of riding. You can demo bikes and wheels from all the major players.

If you want to put in 400+ miles in a week, this is it. You tend to lose some quality mtb time though...riding that distance in one week is rough when you go back to riding/racing mtb's though. I always take a week off or so after this one.

The best way to get in for the ride is to have people from out of state send in thier applications all in one envelope. So if you have 4 guys coming out from the east coast, make sure your app is in that envelope. They try to take more out of staters than they do in state people.

Good luck
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

!Vamos, flaco!
    Several guys on the rbr.com boards have done it. Sign up and do a search there.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If you put in early I think you can get in no problem. rtr is a good wek of riding you can make it as hrd as you like , for the best time do the tent camping thats over half the experience

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've done it 3 times and always had a lot of fun and met a ton of great people. The ride is super supported, aid stations every 10 miles or so and volunteers everywhere to help when needed. They even have support go out on the road before the riders head out and mark potholes and sweep gravel off the road. All you have to do is grunt and groan and enjoy yourself. I've gotten in all but the 4th time I tried, purely a lottery of all the entrants, or so they say. Nowadays I've switched entirely to MTB, just because the traffic is so damn bad around here.

mtbr member
    Here's how you win the lottery (garunteed or your money back)

I have a friend who works for the Denver Post (the organizer and sponsor of Ride the Rockies) and she does the Ride the Rockies every year. She gave me the tip, which I've passed along to my Dad who has used it to great success. (I haven't done the ride myself.)

They do the "lottery" on the day of the deadline. It's not a blind lottery, they pick and choose more or less randomly but they're not above influence. Send your entry on the day of the deadline attached to a pizza or a six pack of beer.

Shattering Glass
    I ride the rockies everyday...