mtbr member

ride near Red Rocks today, but NOT RR/MW/DR

some friends and I are coming down to Golden area this afternoon to see the Beasties. we are going to do a 2hr ride first. We've all done RR/DR/MW/Apex many many times during the winter.

Anywhere different, that is nearby? What about Mt Falcon area? Any other recommendations?

mtbr member

linking Chimney with Apex?

i've ridden Apex, sluice, grub, etc.. but I don't think I've ridden Chimney. Can someone tell me of a nice 1.5-2hr loop around there? where would I park? thanks.

pin 'er up
    Quote Originally Posted by jcospoco
    i've ridden Apex, sluice, grub, etc.. but I don't think I've ridden Chimney. Can someone tell me of a nice 1.5-2hr loop around there? where would I park? thanks.
    You can park off 19th street and 6th avenue and ride the road a bit until you see the trail cross Lookout Mtn or there is a lot off 6th just pass there that offers some techy stepups. If you ride that you'd be at 1.5hrs anyway (out and back, not a loop) but if you ride Chimney at the top you can cross the road and there is singletrack across the pavement. Take that to the right about a mile and it drops you down onto Apex. I am not great with directions so you can get better onces from trailcentral.com. Have a good one!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by jcospoco
    I usually park at the windsock just along 6th av. It's on the left hand side (heading north from I-70) just after you pass the road that takes you up lookout mtn.

The route is pretty obvious, just follow the single track up. It crosses the road twice. Up and back will take you about 1.5 hours +/-.

The concert should be good, Red rocks is just such a killer venue...
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Stand back
    To link Chim Gulch and Apex: If you park at the lower Apex lot, head out the northerly driveway onto the 2 lane road that runs n-s. Head north until you run into 6th Ave (6 lanes wide at the intersection, and the Taj Mahal is visible past the intersection). Take a left on 6th - you can ride the paved path off the edge of the road. Take that through one more intersection, and then keep your eyes on the left hand side of the road for a trailhead (it comes before you run into the intersection of Hwys 6/93/58.
    That's the base of Chim Gulch. When you reach the top, head across the street and look for the trail to continue west of Boetcher Mansion. Follow the singletrack around until the road you're paralleling tees. The top of Apex is just off to your right at the tee, and there's a big sign.
    That should take you at least 1.5 hrs if you throw in some Apex park loops. Have fun!
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Which way? Uphill.

Mt. Falcon to LOTB

I'd recommend parking in downtown Morrison.
    Then riding the road up to Mt. Falcon, then climb up and out of Falcon, descend to the main road (Parmalee Gulch Rd?) and take a right. Follow this for 2 miles or so and look for the singletrack just to the right when you see Pence Park on the left. This trail (Bear Creek Trail) will take you all the way down to Lair o' the Bear. Then do a quick ride down the road to your car in Morrison.

Enjoy a giant margarita at the Morrison Inn afterwards and then go to the concert.

Probably 2-3 hours depending on how fast you want to go. 20 Miles I believe.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    Then riding the road up to Mt. Falcon, then climb up and out of Falcon, descend to the main road (Parmalee Gulch Rd?) and take a right. Follow this for 2 miles or so and look for the singletrack just to the right when you see Pence Park on the left. This trail (Bear Creek Trail) will take you all the way down to Lair o' the Bear. Then do a quick ride down the road to your car in Morrison.
    Yup - this is the best "long-ish" ride in the area. Add the loops (Parmalee, Devil's Elbow) to extend the ride a bit.

The Dog.
    This sounds fantastico.

Thread Terrorist
    Head to Golden, park bikes at GCB. Drink, be merry.

The Notorious S.L.O
    That sounds like a better idea, cause I did it earlier in the summer, started and finished at the lower parking lot, and the last leg up hwy 8 to the parking lot, was painful.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."