Card Carrying Member

Ride this a.m.? Hall?

I'm out for a ride here in about a half hour gonna try and be on the trail @9:30-45ish. If anyone is bored give me a ring. 303 579 9950. I'll be riding from Redstone, up the backside, around the loop and back down the rock garden.
    \
    jim

mtbr member
    Won't make it, but I was up there last night. Let me know what you think of the reroutes. You've been riding the trail at least as long as I have. Personally, I'm happy to see it become more of a singletrack again, as it first was years ago. It does slow you down, but over time you'll dial in the right approach. Some of the slow downs are probably a good thing, like that blind off camber hillside just down from the bench, you can never see someone coming up. I like the work that was done to some of the switchbacks, much more stable. We didn't take the rock garden last night (a shame) so I don't know what they did there.

Card Carrying Member
    I'd have to say that I'm pretty pleased with the work done so far, especially the stuff just down from the loop. I've even spyed a sweet new line that I'll be hitting once the big bike is rolling again. Not sure what they're gonna do on the rockgarden reroutes, but some of it has gotten too bad and is in DIRE need of attention. I know a lot of ppl have complained about the extra turns up top and the large water bars, but you can still ride everything fast, you just need new lines. Hey, I've got no problem with an old trail becoming newish.

Now, if we could get rid of the trail cutters and brake draggers. Some dude was above me on the 'chicklets' or 'roastbeef' section today and just rolled right through a clearly blocked off section (grassy area, not solid rock).

I stumbled upon some pics of Hall from 01-03 last night on my old computer. I'd like to take some pics from the same general areas and post them up for comparison.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    I'd have to say that I'm pretty pleased with the work done so far, especially the stuff just down from the loop. I've even spyed a sweet new line that I'll be hitting once the big bike is rolling again. Not sure what they're gonna do on the rockgarden reroutes, but some of it has gotten too bad and is in DIRE need of attention. I know a lot of ppl have complained about the extra turns up top and the large water bars, but you can still ride everything fast, you just need new lines. Hey, I've got no problem with an old trail becoming newish.

Now, if we could get rid of the trail cutters and brake draggers. Some dude was above me on the 'chicklets' or 'roastbeef' section today and just rolled right through a clearly blocked off section (grassy area, not solid rock).

I stumbled upon some pics of Hall from 01-03 last night on my old computer. I'd like to take some pics from the same general areas and post them up for comparison.
    After the uproar preceeding the public trail day a few years ago, I'm not surprised the county is doing this on the downlow. I was happy with the results after that work, I'm sure they did just fine this time.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Rolling
    Might do Hall tomorrow. I need to see this stuff.

Push my buttons Jim.

Shattering Glass
    I think the recent work on hall is pretty lame. A few large rocks scattered about to tighten up the trail with some pine needles thrown on to make it look organic. If you ever throw your line in these sections (loose baby head Heil like surface), you're going to pay hitting those friggin rocks that will be hidden in the ensuing new growth. This is not an improvement, just "road blocks for bikers". Let's hope the rock garden fares better

ride
    I like the new work. They could've done a better job at filling the trail in a few spots, but I appreciate what they are trying to accomplish. The flow is still good. One line that I particularly liked is gone, but I'll get over it - the change is good. I'm happy that things are slowed down, at least just a little for a little while anyway.

I'm confident that the rock garden rework will be good. IMBA is involved with trained professionals to advise the county on where and why things should be redone. The goal is for parts of the trail to change, but to keep the character as is.

In a related note, I hear that the new Wild Turkey trail at Heil Ranch is within 30 days of being rideable legally.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    In a related note, I hear that the new Wild Turkey trail at Heil Ranch is within 30 days of being rideable legally.
    Wow, good news. I planned on helping BMA in October, I think was the trail date. Maybe it'll be done sooner?

Ride, Rinse, Repeat

Narrow it up

I have to chime in on the side of liking the work done, in particular the section just below the loop. It seemed that the trail was getting wider by about a foot or more a year, with the speeds going up just as fast. While one or two of the "chicanes" may not have the best "flow", I am quite happy to see an attempt to narrow up the trail before it becomes as wide as a county road. Besides, what's wrong with having to turn your bike? Twisty bits = Good bits (Your results may vary... )

The speeds there needed to come down, just TOO many riders of WAY too many abilities mixing it up at large speed differences was a problem waiting to happen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Doin' Hall this afternoon. It's been so long since I've ridden it that even with no changes it would all be new to me.

Card Carrying Member
    It was good going up this morning, but drying out quick on the way down. Fancy chickens everywhere. I even saw toe clips this morning.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy
    Won't make it, but I was up there last night. Let me know what you think of the reroutes.
    Just got home from riding it and boozing it up at Oscars. Wish I had a ride back cuz i would have loved to listen to the music.

Definitely not what I call "reroutes" but good seeing the trail narrowed a little.