Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rex Patrick memorial ride

I'm a schmuck and just learned of Rex's passing. I will be riding falcon on March 29th (1 year anniversary of his death) in honor and in memory of Rex. I did not know him well but we met climbing falcon a few years ago and rode together a few times. We had some acquaintainces in common. I work in addiction and with the homeless and he was truly an inspiring guy who gave me hope as to what is possible. It has greatly sadned me to learn of his death.

Bad Andy
    Wow - I hadn't heard that either.
    Didn't know the name when I read the title of your thread, but googled him, and the 1st thing that came up was the MTBR thread last year from when he passed.
    The 1st time I saw him, I was dumbfounded. He was at White Ranch, and I caught a glimpse, and couldn't tell, but something looked strange. When I got a better look, I was even more amazed. Saw him and talked to him a few more times over the years.
    Usually at White Ranch or Mt Falcon.
    Will try to make Falcon on 3/29 as well. What time ya thinkin'?

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    THANK YOU!! Have wanted to do something of this nature since I heard the news as well, I sent him a few emails and thought maybe I just wrote down the wrong email. Then I found out. Still don't know how he died. What an inspiration he was and still is, when you think you are feeling weak on a climb pffffft. Anybody lucky enough to have ridden with Rex will probably never forget it. I know I won't. Still have the article that was in the paper that Jason did. That will always be in my Journal. R.I.P. Rex... I would really like to get as many people involved in this as we can, great idea. pm me if you need help organizing or ?? I'd be happy to help any way I can.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Rex deserves a little more response than this, come on who was ever passed by this one legged rider up Falcon?? Not to mention that he was just as fast on the downhill. I will be there and we will toast this man for what he overcame in his life!!!

the blog

mtbr member
    Well, I figure it may take awhile for folks who care to come upon this post. I will post an ad on Craigslist as well once the details are nailed down. Given the unpredictability of the weather I was thinking late AM, say 10:30 meet at falcon lot. I will ride from my home in Green Mountain. If the trail is wet(recent rain or snow) I will not ride and we can reschedule. Ride to the shelter at the top. There is a memorial for Rex there. Then shoot to the top and ride down through Lair maybe. Rex and I rode this loop many times, he actually was the first to turn me on to it.

Sounds good, whatever I can do to help. Yah that is a great loop!

the blog

Jackass
    I never met Rex, but after reading his story I would like to come along. This time last year I was laying on the recovery floor of Penrose St. Francis after getting hit by a car on my Motorcycle. I thought I had it tough but Rex's story is truly inspiring.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

mtbr member
    All are welcome whether you knew the guy or not. And based on my (lack of) performance this past weekend I will be bringing up the rear.

Perpetually single track
    I'm interested as well, though I'm supposed to be in Moab.

I met Rex (and rode with him) quite a few times. A very inspiring guy who will be missed.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1

I still have the gloves he gave me from the last time we rode together, when I had forgotten mine....
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

mtbr member

Good job!

Thanks for sharing the video, hope to see you Sat. But Moab sounds nice too.

mtbr member
    bump,

c'mon, anybody else know Rex and wnat o participate?

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by marinjp
    bump,

c'mon, anybody else know Rex and wnat o participate?
    I'm trying to find contacts of people who know him...
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

Perpetually single track
    BTW, I'm in. We should set a time.

edit: just saw the time above

10:30am in the lower Mt. Falcon lot.
    Last edited by ibmkidIII; 03-25-2008 at 04:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Plan is for 10:30 saturday, meet at Mt. Falcon Morrison parking lot. I live in green mountain and plan to ride from my house. Anybody is welcome to ride with me from my house. I will leave home around 9:30. i am at Alameda anf Florida, just across alameda from the Green Mountain lot-good place to park btw. if you want to meet and ride with me from home please send me an email.

gonzocycle@yahoo.com

Jackass
    I'm planning on being there. I'm coming from the spring so I'll probably just meet you all at the parking lot. I've never been up the before. I assume that the parking lot you mention is this one http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...2_5844crx.aspx?
    I'll be in a white Jeep Wrangler with a silver Niner RIP9.

Bad Andy
    Unfortunately, my daughter's soccer game is at 11:00 in Westminster, so I will not be able to make it. I will plan to go to Falcon later in the day though. If you're all lingering for awhile, maybe I'll see you.
    Won't be there until around 2pm. Or maybe I will ride earlier in the morning instead. One way or the other, I will ride Falcon this Sat the 29th!

Back from Moab!!!!

Now let's get this ride rolling, I pm'd Mateo, think he did the artice on him in the paper few years back. 10:30 sounds Great!! Bring chairs post ride bev. if you choose and we'll toast Rex!!! Looking forward to meeting all of you and hearing your stories!! I'll be in the Toyota with the big ladder rack on top!

THANKS,

kevin

the blog

Jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by pesqueeb
    I'm planning on being there. I'm coming from the spring so I'll probably just meet you all at the parking lot. I've never been up the before. I assume that the parking lot you mention is this one http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...2_5844crx.aspx?
    oh yea, and my name is Shane

mtbr member
    Yes, we are riding tomorrow. Weather looks like it will cooperate. See you all there. I will be on a black trance, probably standing around looking for you all.
    -Jonathan

Perpetually single track
    blue heckler

Sounds good! I've got a pretty good sized group ready, any body else on a single? runnin a 32x18 watch out for the vomit! bigbluedodge you in?

the blog

The Notorious S.L.O

I am planing to join you guys...

I will be the large slow guy on a red NRS.....

BTW, I have been trying to check the various runners club site to sees if anyone has scheduled a group run @ Mt. Falcon for this Sat, having had to share that trail with a large group of runners in the past, certainly dials back the fun, particularly on the downhill.
    I have not found anything on a group run thus far.

I never met Rex, but having seen him riding several times at Mt. Falcon, even being passed on the climb by him once, I was truly impressed with his determination and will.
    Not to mention his skill on a mtn bike.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Quote Originally Posted by pesqueeb
    Just to clarify pesqueeb, it is the parking lot in Morrison, not the upper one off of Parmalee. go through town make a left on hywy 8 make a right on Forest and follow signs to TH I'll be there around 10:00 a little early. pm me if you need more specific directions.
    kevin

the blog

Perpetually single track
    Great ride everyone. Glad we could get such a big group to remember Rex by.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Great ride everyone. Glad we could get such a big group to remember Rex by.
    Was great to meet you guys! Jonathan thanks again for putting this out there, next year maybe do a parking lot grill or something. Parmalee ended up being in great shape. a few snowy patches but other than that it was all dry. ibmkid111 i'll upload those and email em to you.

kevin

the blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast