mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Resort XC trails

We are looking for a killer summer vaca. away from Seattle, Where should we go?

I want epic XC Mt bike trails, at a family friendly place for a week in August (the wife likes to stay put in her comfy condo)

I can get a free condo at Aspen Snowmas, Beaver Creek, Keystone, Copper Mountain,Steamboat, Telluride or Winter Park depending on what is available.

I am also considering Mamoth California.

Ok a day of Downhilling on a rented bike would be fun too and I also like to flyfish.

Our Holiday is now in your hands.
    Last edited by tekkamaki; 03-08-2008 at 12:29 AM.
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

Cycling, FTW!!
    Plenty of XC trails to keep you busy for days here in Steamboat, and north of town. Tons of stuff to keep the kids entertained in town. There is also lots of amazing fly fishing up on the Continental divide and in the Mt. Zirkel wilderness.

Steamboat Info.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

contains quinine
    Both Keystone and Copper would give good access to Summit county and tons of opportunity.

Have you been here in the summer before?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

VooDoo user.
    Everything mentioned would be great. There is tons of XC singletrack in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'd say you couldn't go wrong with Steamboat, Winter Park, or Keystone. I am a little biased for Keystone because I did work for the resort for 9yrs. If you timed the trip around one of the summer festivals, you would have a real good time, check snow.com and follow the links to Keystone's calendar or events. It's nice kicking back, drinking, and listening to music after the ride. There is some great riding you can do right from Keystone, if you are doing XC stay away from the resort: you don't want to climb while the DHers are coming down. But it is a great place for DH. Just buy a Latitude 40 map for Summit County and you can find plenty of riding. Hundreds upon hundreds of mapped trails.
    Your wife will have more to do in Summit County (Keystone) and Steamboat. Plenty of shopping and the like. Steamboat does get hotter in the summer, it's only like 6500 feet in town, but sometimes that's a good thing, you are coming from sea level. You'll need a jacket at night in Keystone or Winter Park, but not the Boat. Winter Park has a ton of riding from the resort, but not much to do in town, beautiful place though.
    Copper doesn't have that much riding near the resort, the Colorado trail does go through there, but one direction becomes a hike a bike fast, and the other way has a lot of equestrian use. The trails on the mountain are only okay. Not much to do at Copper either, but Frisco is only 10 miles away.
    I've heard the Aspen area trails are fun but brutal climbs at the start, something to think about coming from sea level, could be better by Snowmass though. I've heard nothing but good things about Telluride, but no personal experience.
    Beaver Creek has some good riding and is super posh: if Vail is where the rich go, Beaver Creek is where the super rich go. It's where Steve Fossett, President Ford, Ross Perot, have had homes. Not much in the village but they do have an arts center that gets big acts all year round. Best customer service in the ski business.
    Fishing is good everywhere in CO you listed, with maybe a little drive. The Snake river runs through Keystone is quite good, catching fish there can almost be too easy from what my angler friends say.

Inflexable...
    I would recommend Aspen, Steamboat, Winter Park and To-hell-you-ride because they all are 'real' towns. Keeping the family entertained also is important and a town usually will have other activities like shopping. That said, almost every resort in Summit is fairly close to a town or two.

You didn't mention it but Breck also has some great XC trails and a town. It is also close to Keystone for some good DH.
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    From the comments here all of these places sound like they would fit the bill. Which one would be the most entertaining for a 3 year old kid and the wife?
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

friend of Apex
    Dont forget Crested Butte, no lift access... But GREAT singletrack
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

skillz to pay billz
    steamboat has killer hot springs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

And if you go to Steamboat

you can check out Fish Creek Falls.

Fish Creek Falls stoke
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tekkamaki
    From the comments here all of these places sound like they would fit the bill. Which one would be the most entertaining for a 3 year old kid and the wife?
    Depends on what they are into. Start some web searches on the towns and the resorts. Maybe make some calls to the tourism offices and ask them to send their packets so your wife can flip through the brochures. All of the places have spa services, nothing like a massage and a pedicure to pay her back for watching the kid while you were out riding. If your wife is a shopper, the outlet mall in Silverthorne is close to Keystone. All of the towns will have good tourist shopping, so do the resorts to some extent but of course are overpriced. Most of the resorts are pretty kid friendly. I know Keystone has a lot of the kid/ family friendly stuff open in the summer, I can't vouch for the other resorts: be aware a lot of resorts close down that kind of stuff in the summer. But more and more are seeing steady summer business, so they keep more stuff open. At most of them, they can ride the lifts for the scenic tour, fun for one trip at least.
    Wherever you go in the Colorado mountains, plan for the afternoon thundershowers and get your outside stuff done early in the day.

Slopestyle Rider
    If you have a 3 year old, Winter Park would be great as the base has lots of stuff for the kiddies. The Colorado River is only 20 minutes away, as well as Rocky Mountain National Park which has incredible fly-fishing.

All of the places everyone is mentioning won't dissapoint...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Crested Butte would be the winner, but wasn't in your list.

And whoever said that Winter Park has a "real" town... Where is this "real" town you speak of?

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    And whoever said that Winter Park has a "real" town... Where is this "real" town you speak of?
    Just up the road a bit in Granby, great night life!
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Awesomist™
    Winter Park.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Slopestyle Rider
    Granby chicks are so hot!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Just up the road a bit in Granby, great night life!

Grand Lake is even better.

And have you been to Hot Sulphur Springs lately?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I vote Winter Park too. EPIC, and I mean EPIC, singletrack all over the place up there. Also, Sol Vista is right down the road, as is Grand and Granby. Both towns have plenty to do, and there is a ton of fishing, especially up a few "hidden" places off the lakes. Keystone (as far as I know) is doing a HUGE gondola renovation, and may or may not be too fun for a day of DH rental or two, so I wouldnt plan on going there. Sol Vista is hosting two of th MSC races this summer though (Keystone was SUPPOSED to have one) so those weekends may be a little packed. Same with Crankworx Colorado, although its not like the "real" Crankworx ridiculous crowds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Cool,
    Winter park sounds good.
    I went to Crankworx at Whistler last year, What a blast.
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX