Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007

Rentals in Boulder

Hi,

I'm moving to Boulder this summer, and I am interested in getting info on which neighborhoods to look for a place to rent. I'm looking for a 2-3 bedroom house for around $1,500/month or less. Preferred features: garage, backyard with fence and patio or deck, small dogs allowed. I'll be working near campus, and am looking for something within a 30 minute commute. Distance to MTB trails (or major highways to get to trails) are a consideration too. A future co-worker has a house available in Nederland, but that seems like it might be a bit of a drive (especially if it snows). If anyone has suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    North Boulder on the Skip bus route by Ideal Market. You can walk to the store, get beer, walk to Pearl St. and ride the bus to your job. There is a lack of students if you're further north and west (Dellwood or so). I'm not sure about rent but that's where I would live if I had to live/could afford to live in Boulder. Not on Grape unless you're a fan of living under high tension power lines.

If you like patchouli and waiting your turn for the 3 single chicks in town you'll love Nederland.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i was basically in this same situation and got a house in martin acres, south of campus. finding a single-family house under $1500 for 2/3 will be hard. If you didnt live in Boulder, I'd look at Lafeyette. You can get to Boulder on the bus, views are great, its about 15 miles or less from Boulder, and you get more for your money.

its tricky, but keep an eye out and you might get lucky. let me know if you have more questions

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the info. Are there any other places I should be looking other than Craigslist?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    All my luck has come from craigslist, or just luck driving by.
    I know there are quite a few rentals up now, but might be hard if you aren't here yet (?).
    There is a place called Housing Helpers that has properties, but we never found anything through them, especially with pets

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    We're not in the area yet. We'll be flying out in a couple of weeks to look for places.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dthomp325
    Hi,

Distance to MTB trails (or major highways to get to trails) are a consideration too.

There are NO mountainbike trails in Boulder.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashty boy
    There are NO mountainbike trails in Boulder.
    Is the Boulder trail scene really as bad as it's made out to be? Are the trails listed here crap?

How long of a drive can I expect to get to decent trails from Boulder?

If I'm looking for a house outside of Boulder, which area is closer to good trails: North or South? What about Nederland, is that closer to trails?

mtbr member
    You will be pleased with some of the rides listed there (Walker Ranch, Sourdough, Hall, etc). Im just down on Boulder (and Im not alone) for thier Nazi stance on the MTB. Potential to have sweet singletrack within riding distance from your house in town. Unfortunatly this is not the case. Of all the rides listed, Hall is my favorite. Walker is a very sweet ride, although 2 loops is necessary for a good cross country ride. The trails in Ned are great as well, they just take a while to dry out. As of right now they are not ready. Didn't mean to **** on your mtb dreams. You will have some great times in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashty boy
    ...Walker is a very sweet ride, although 2 loops is necessary for a good cross country ride....
    Come on man.. Super Walker or do a Super Duper Walker.... Add in that extra 2,000 feet of climbing to get there.

You can get to good riding, it just won't be a 5 minute drive or ride to get there.

ride
    Lyons is cool if you want a small mountain town vibe without the elevation. Probably be around 1/2 hour to CU campus from here. Plus, Lyons has some great riding out the door and a TON of riding if you're willing to drive up to 30 minutes. Rentals are probably a lot more affordable here, too. It's an easy commute to Boulder via bike as well, all scenic highway with wide shoulder. The bike commute to CU would take about an hour.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    My gf and I are headed to Boulder because we landed some great jobs, and I am very excited to try out the alpine trails after living in the desert for the past 10 years, but I'm also really nervous because of all the people who say Boulder sucks for MTB.

I currently live in Tucson, AZ. The city and state as a whole are a mountain biker paradise. Tons of riding all over the state, close to metro areas 'big enough to get a job'. A 20 min drive from town and you're out in the desert wilderness on trails where you rarely see any other users (at least in Tucson, trails are more crowded in Phoenix, Sedona, and Flag). I currently have around 60 miles of singletrack within a 5 mile road ride of my driveway (a good 15-20 miles of which are expert level terrain), and probably 500 miles of trail within an hour's drive. I'm used to riding 3 days a week, riding 20-35 mile intermediate->expert technical XC/all mountain rides.

It seems like trails are going to be a farther drive in Boulder, but I can also take up shredding Boulder's new Valmont bike park, that thing looks badass!

Stiff yet compliant
    There is plenty of good riding a short drive from town. Also lots of sour grapes from people upset they don't have 100 miles of singletrack right out the front door.
    On this map the area marked west has no MTB. Outside of that most trails are open to bikes.

mtbr member
    There's a reason Boulder has a weak MTB reputation, there's just not that many rides. The hikers dictate the lay of the land in these parts.

$1500 isn't going to get you much. My friend is having problems finding a decent place and he's willing to spend more than double that. I'd definitely look at Lyons where you can ride from your front door.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dthomp325
    Hi,

I'm moving to Boulder this summer, and I am interested in getting info on which neighborhoods to look for a place to rent. I'm looking for a 2-3 bedroom house for around $1,500/month or less. Preferred features: garage, backyard with fence and patio or deck, small dogs allowed. I'll be working near campus, and am looking for something within a 30 minute commute. Distance to MTB trails (or major highways to get to trails) are a consideration too. A future co-worker has a house available in Nederland, but that seems like it might be a bit of a drive (especially if it snows). If anyone has suggestions please let me know. Thanks.
    I'll have a 2-3 bedroom (3rd is in the basement, non-conforming) townhouse in central Boulder (2 mi from campus) for rent later this summer if you are interested, small dogs (<25lbs are fine). No garage (storage room in the basement) or fenced yard, has a carport and common area, I have lived here 6 years with a medium sized (65lb) lab (grandfathered from pre <25lb era) and no problems having him run around under supervision. Could do $1500/mo....

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    There aren't specific neighborhoods better than others in Boulder, IMO. In general, you pay more as you get closer to downtown.

Nederland is just about 30 minutes from town. (a little more or little less depending on where in Ned and where in town). Great great riding up there. If riding is your goal and you're willing to commute 30 minutes, you can't do better than that, IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ned, take the bus to B-town.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    look in boulder i say (see above listing). The convenience factor is huge. Riding on the front range, generally, is average. If you want really good riding you'd have to travel no matter where you live. Not to say its not fun, but there aren't a lot of options and the population these trails serve is large. Ned is cute - but a poor excuse for a mountain town in my opinion.

dont be discouraged - its a great place to be and there is riding close. the whole area is a tricky balance between urban and those pretending its not.

but, there is a lot of "too-coolness" going around, so be prepared to combat the extreme amount of patagonia, hip jeans, and fully zipped track jackets. and whiteness, outstanding whiteness in boulder.

mtbr member
    My Fiance and I have just moved here a week ago and have found that price range to be out towards Lafayette and Louisville if you want a yard. Lafayette is definitely more suburban but Louisville seems pretty cool. It's still super close to Boulder and the 36 seems pretty quick without too much hassle with traffic. You will be further away from the trails though.
    I have only managed to get up to Betasso Preserve to ride which is only 10min from town by car. A lot of work on my 8" freeride bike but when you gotta ride you gotta ride, the descent on link trail is fun though. There is plenty of riding within 30min drive as Golden has some sweet riding also. It seems people are all about riding up hill here but each to their own. Bring on VBP.
    We love it here so far and haven't noticed any pretentious BS and everyone has been really friendly. We did come from spending a season in Breckenridge though, so this is much more relaxed. I guess it all depends what your used to. A lot of people told us not to move here but so far they've all been wrong.

On a side note looking for people to ride with, my bike is terrible for climbing but I still manage to get to the top. Keen to check out Hall and Heil Ranch, LHC, and will be looking to do regular trips to Curt Gowdy SP, WP, Keystone and Sol Vista this summer.

Cheers
    You only crashed because you weren't going fast enough

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13
    I'll have a 2-3 bedroom (3rd is in the basement, non-conforming) townhouse in central Boulder (2 mi from campus) for rent later this summer if you are interested, small dogs (<25lbs are fine). No garage (storage room in the basement) or fenced yard, has a carport and common area, I have lived here 6 years with a medium sized (65lb) lab (grandfathered from pre <25lb era) and no problems having him run around under supervision. Could do $1500/mo....

We're going to be in town 22-25th. I PMed you with my info can you PM me your info so we can check it out?
    Last edited by dthomp325; 05-15-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by toweringhouse
    .... and whiteness, outstanding whiteness in boulder.
    When I was there for my interview I went to a Taco shop, and I saw something I've never seen before: white people making tacos. WTF?

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    mullbags: Good to hear you enjoy the area. I'll be looking for people to ride with once I get there as well. I'm a technical XC/all mountain rider. I ride a Giant Reign and a Giant Anthem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

What about Golden?

The trails down there are close to town and more of the "out the door" style of riding. Trails near Ned are nice but the window is super short during the year and it's insanely windy up there most of the year. Everything up high is still covered and even the lower stuff near the town of Nederland (which isn't a huge trail system) is snowed in again right now. Snow can drop at any point from Sept on as well.

Like everyone is suggesting, east of Boulder is good for homes with yards at a good price, etc. but you will not find much in town in that range unless you are in the right place at the right time. South Boulder may have something in that range and style but the Golden area will have more riding options that are dry with a similar commute time from say Nederland. I would suggest not committing to Ned until you know what you are getting into.

Sadly, there is not much MTB around Boulder but there is still riding to be had, it's just nothing like you have there in Tucson. If you ride regularly and do live in Boulder, you will need to have a cx or road bike to stay sane. If it were me, I would look to Golden since you have great rides around there and access to I-70 etc. and Buffalo creek is not that far. Good luck whatever you decide and congrats on the jobs!
    nobody reads your blog

mtbr member
    I second Golden, excellent choice. Although it is not a mountain town, it has that feel. You can ride from your backdoor.

ride
    Definitely Golden. Way better south of here and closer to Denver.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast