pain intolerant
    Apr 2006

REI CEO Nominated to Become Interior Secretary

President Obama has nominated the current CEO of REI to replace Ken Salazar as Interior Secretary. Pretty interesting choice, and hopefully one that will lead to more trails on federal land (BLM in particular).

"The choice of Jewell, who began her career as an engineer for Mobil Oil and worked as a commercial banker before heading a nearly $2 billion outdoors equipment company, represents an unconventional choice for a post usually reserved for career politicians from the West."

Link to Washington Post story

mtbr member
    I wonder if that means we Fed employees can get deals at REI if she's confirmed?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Candlestick Maker
    Interesting appointment. I wonder how Sally feels about Wilderness designations and bicycle exclusion...
    baker

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Interesting appointment. I wonder how Sally feels about Wilderness designations and bicycle exclusion...
    It probably doesn't matter as it'd take an act of Congress to change that, and the National Forests are under the Department of Agriculture.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Candlestick Maker
    It may have no material effect upon the exclusive properties of the Wilderness designation, but it could matter to people who are trying to determine whether they'd support her appointment or not...
    baker

..ouch
    Given her background I would bet this is more about how many $$ they can get and how quickly they can accelerate selling out BLM land leases to oil & gas.

Keeping rec users locked out just keeps them from getting in the way of the semis.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    It may have no material effect upon the exclusive properties of the Wilderness designation, but it could matter to people who are trying to determine whether they'd support her appointment or not...
    Maybe, but I doubt it's significant. I find it hard to believe there's a senator who'd be swayed by what the proposed DOI secretary thinks about an issue that's mainly a Dept of Ag issue.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Recreationists are worried that she's a former oil and gas engineer and bank executive. Industry is worried that she's an "environmentalist."

Hard to say where mountain bikers fit in. I wouldn't expect any major policy shifts that grant wholesale bike access to areas that are currently off-limits. But perhaps some of the smaller trail development projects on federal land will gain favor. And some of the efforts to restrict bikes on new or existing trails on federal land will be re-thunk.

In some stories she's described as "a lifelong outdoors enthusiast who likes to bike". FWIW.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs View Post
    It probably doesn't matter as it'd take an act of Congress to change that, and the National Forests are under the Department of Agriculture.
    NPS & USF&W are under DOI. IMHO this is to stop drilling on BLM lands.

REI CEO Nominated to Become Interior Secretary-orgchart5.gif

Tossin the salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    Recreationists are worried that she's a former oil and gas engineer and bank executive. Industry is worried that she's an "environmentalist."

Hard to say where mountain bikers fit in. I wouldn't expect any major policy shifts that grant wholesale bike access to areas that are currently off-limits. But perhaps some of the smaller trail development projects on federal land will gain favor. And some of the efforts to restrict bikes on new or existing trails on federal land will be re-thunk.

In some stories she's described as "a lifelong outdoors enthusiast who likes to bike". FWIW.
    Last edited by TX_Shifter; 02-08-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Giant Trance

..ouch
    Cross-posting a quote from another forum:

"I was at an REI meeting at their "Flagship" store in LODO, where she [Sally Jewell] was the guest speaker, she said that ALL public land should first and foremost be kept pristine and in it's natural state, when I asked her if that was to happen, how did she propose that the public should be able to view this pristine and natural area, she said, "organised structured nature walks" "

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    Cross-posting a quote from another forum:
    "I asked her if that was to happen, how did she propose that the public should be able to view this pristine and natural area, she said, "organized structured nature walks" "
    She's clearly a Corporate Communist who wears too many Chinese-made cotton products. A Cotton Commie.

Did you know that:
    Wreaths of wheat, cotton, corn or other crops, are present on the crests of almost every historical communist state.

Just think.... one day you'll be able to tell your grandkids all about mountain biking in the forest and how much fun it was before ... "it" went away.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    She's clearly a Corporate Communist who wears too many Chinese-made cotton products. A Cotton Commie.

Did you know that:
    Wreaths of wheat, cotton, corn or other crops, are present on the crests of almost every historical communist state.

Just think.... one day you'll be able to tell your grandkids all about mountain biking in the forest and how much fun it was before ... "it" went away.
    Goddam pinko cotton commies! I found this pic of her, she is attempting to conceal her chinese cotton base layer, with soft shell (96% polyester, 4% spandex) a clever guise yet it is chinese polyester and spandex designed in the USA.
    The smile however provides no concealment of her intentions. It is the smile of a politician right before they wreak havoc on you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydoug View Post
    Goddam pinko cotton commies! I found this pic of her, she is attempting to conceal her chinese cotton base layer, with soft shell (96% polyester, 4% spandex) a clever guise yet it is chinese polyester and spandex designed in the USA.
    The smile however provides no concealment of her intentions. It is the smile of a politician right before they wreak havoc on you.
    No wonder she is smiling.
    All REI employees are so healthy the POTUS gave them a waiver from Obamacare. If only I weren't such an ignorant farmer peasant, maybe I could become an REIsta too...