"Oldfart from Wayback"

Red Mtn/ Soapstone Prairie Grand Opening this Weekend

The crown jewel of Larimer County Natural Areas is having it's grand opening this weekend June 6-7.

Lots of questions have been asked about this area and the trails available.

The trails were all built by Arrowhead Trails Inc. the best trail builder around. Anyone who's visited Bobcat Ridge or Curt Gowdy SP in WY can attest to their trail building qualities. They put in 39 mi of fresh cut trails to supplement the existing dbl track in the area.

First and foremost though, this is a Natural Area and not a playground. The Area as a whole is only open March to November.The lands were set aside to preserve their unique ecology, archaeology, and history. Off trail travel is prohibited, and large areas are only open for a few months a year. NO DOGS ALLOWED even in your car in the parking lots.

These are all multi- use trails, and some are designated hiker only, although there are as well "No Horses" trails as well. I don't expect the trails to be as gnar as Curt Gowdy, just given the landscape and geology. It's more akin to DBB/BlueSky/Rim Rock/Coyote Ridge/Lory Valley trails but with about double the elevation gain to play with.

I expect horses to be the predominant form of user traffic on the trails, so keep up the trail etiquette

Anyway, here's the Grand Opening schedule.

The Trail Brochure

AND a VIDEO that will give more information.

And with all the recent rains, the prairie will be as green and flower filled as it can get. Go check it out !
    Last edited by onbelaydave; 06-02-2009 at 07:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Very cool.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

skillz to pay billz
    great access for biking!

ride
    Cool vid. It's going to be great up there.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Shattering Glass
    Extremely cool! Too bad Boulder county can't put together trails like this instead of these 5 mile connectors that we have to kiss arse for. Granted they are nice

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wow, this is really cool, I'm looking forward to it! Any ideas as to a fun way to do this, getting the most elevation gain and mileage? I can't find elevation/difficulty info anywhere.
    Any help is much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Exploring it is half the fun!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Any ideas as to a fun way to do this, getting the most elevation gain and mileage? I can't find elevation/difficulty info anywhere.
    Any help is much appreciated!
    Since the area isn't even open yet, I don't think you'll find any more info than is on the Ft. Collins open space natural areas website.

I did find this good Google Earth MAP , from Colorado Mountain Biking that gives you the contour intervals.

I've got my loops planned.