crashes in parkinglot

Red Feather Lakes?

Wanted to find out some info on Red Feather Lakes, just out side of Fort Collins:

Good places to camp?
    What trails to ride?
    A couple good places for Dinners?
    Interesting spots that one must see?

I want to spend a 3 - 4 day weekend camping up there. Is there a better place descently close that i should go to over Red Feather Lakes?
    Thanks in advance

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    Wanted to find out some info on Red Feather Lakes, just out side of Fort Collins:

Good places to camp?
    What trails to ride?
    A couple good places for Dinners?
    Interesting spots that one must see?

I want to spend a 3 - 4 day weekend camping up there. Is there a better place descently close that i should go to over Red Feather Lakes?
    Thanks in advance

heh, i've been eyeballing up there too. i'll send you something via mail in a little bit.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

slow
    There is one restaurant in the village (Pot Belly) and Beaver Meadows Resort (www.beavermeadows.com) has dining.

I rode Killpecker Creek and Lone Pine trails, just west of Red Feather, last summer. They were pretty good. Beaver Meadows also has trails open to biking. CSU holds a collegiate mtb race up there every September. (http://ramscycling.com/bmrace/) Supposed to be a decent DH course.

There are several campgrounds in the area (Dowdy Lake, Killpecker Creek, etc) and Beaver Meadows also has camp sites.

Interesting spots? Don't know on that one. Sorry, no mini golf or gondola rides. Better go to Estes Park for that.
    Last edited by sgltrak; 04-27-2006 at 06:54 AM.

crashes in parkinglot
    Does Red Feather have a bike shop? If not what shop in Ft Collins is best for stopping by and picking up maps etc?

From the elevation on some of th stuff i found up there is sounds like it should be dry by now, but i heard that the north got more snow that us, so i wanted to see how long till the trails are dry.

contains quinine
    So many places, so little time. I'd love to head up there sometime and get lost.

i too was wondering about current snow conditions up thataways.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    Does Red Feather have a bike shop? If not what shop in Ft Collins is best for stopping by and picking up maps etc?

From the elevation on some of th stuff i found up there is sounds like it should be dry by now, but i heard that the north got more snow that us, so i wanted to see how long till the trails are dry.
    I think they might rent bikes at Beaver Meadows and may have trail info. I don't know of any area specific maps, especially for biking. You may end up with having to go with a Trails Illustrated or USGS topo for the area.

I have not run across much Red Feather info at any of the local shops, but you could try:
    Lee's 970.226.6006
    Road34 970.491.9934
    REI 970.223.0123

We got no snow this week in Fort Collins, but I don't know about Red Feather.

mtbr member
    I use this webcam to figure out the snow and wind questions. In my experience this point of view represents areas that are a tad bit lower in elevation than most rides in the area.

Dont forget about the Mt Margret and Molly Lake Trails adjacent to one another. Check my post from earlier in the year about these and other trails in the area used as a possible epic loop. (thanks for the info and pics sgltrak & rentschl!)

Beaver Meadows has a free map of their property available upon your arrival and is very well signed. Otherwise the most recent Trails Illustrated (#111) is pretty good for the other trails mentioned above.

Dont forget your fishing pole. Have fun!

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzattack
    I use this webcam to figure out the snow and wind questions. In my experience this point of view represents areas that are a tad bit lower in elevation than most rides in the area.

Dont forget about the Mt Margret and Molly Lake Trails adjacent to one another. Check my post from earlier in the year about these and other trails in the area used as a possible epic loop. (thanks for the info and pics sgltrak & rentschl!)

Beaver Meadows has a free map of their property available upon your arrival and is very well signed. Otherwise the most recent Trails Illustrated (#111) is pretty good for the other trails mentioned above.

Dont forget your fishing pole. Have fun!

Griz,
    Thanks for the webcam link. The page on your Molly Lake link states that mountain bikes are not permitted on that trail.
    MW

mtbr member
    Good eye sgltrak. The Molly Lk. TH at the Red Feather Lk. Rd. end gives no indication that Mtn Bikes are illegal on this trail. I have not read the signage at the trails other end near Bellaire Lk. CG. What’s strange is that the A/R Nat. Forest Rec. page hase no mention of this trail anywhere. A google search of: (Arapahoe national forest "molly lake") finds several pages that mention Molly Lake trail and its uses, which include mtn biking. Go figure. Perhaps the RAS link I provided is dated or provides incorrect. Ride on.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

I just road the Molly Lk/ Half Moon Lk trail today

Signage shows MB'ng allowed, both TH's. I rode it from the Bellaire TH. The only closures posted were for no powered vechicles of any kind. Not including the last 1/4 mi "easy" tech section on the Mount Margaret trail, the Molly Lk trail from the Bellaire Lk TH is mostly downhill and only slightly harder than any of the Mount Margaret loops. I combined it with the Mt. Margaret trail and rode it all the way to the end of the Mount Margaret trail w/ "all" it's loops and back. Getting back to my car was a bit of a "b*tch", having to climb most all the way back but nothing that hard. I just like that long downhill after a ride, not the otherway around. All in all, about a 2/3 for aerobic and a 0/ 1 for tech "But a Good Time was had by All !!"
    Last edited by onbelaydave; 05-31-2006 at 07:27 PM.