Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Recruiting Front Range Riders

Hey amigos - I know this is going to come off as a spam post. But, I
    joined this site nearly 10 years ago, so hopefully that gives me a
    bit of credibility even though I haven't posted a ton.

Anyway - I'm here to make your life better! But, I also need some help.

I've been leading a startup company here in Denver for the last year called www.gociety.com - it's a website and app designed to help people find riding partners (and skiing/running/climbing buddies as well.) Think of it is a friend replacer for when your normal riding crew falls through.

We're launching in Colorado in July, and are simply looking to get a handful of solid people on board, using the site, and helping us get the thing off the ground.

Again, I know this might come off as spammy. But full disclosure, we are planning to run some banner ads on MTBR, so I hope this post is kosher.

Thanks for reading all the way through. Now, here is some eye candy: shot this riding Apex last week. See you out there!

-Alex

Recruiting Front Range Riders-6n2a7982.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    In what ways is this different from fitness-singles.com? Will there be a Christian version for the folks in Colorado Springs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post
    In what ways is this different from fitness-singles.com? Will there be a Christian version for the folks in Colorado Springs?
    ...or Meetup.com? And, will there be an Atheist version for us godless heathens?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sounds interesting. Meetup.com has been useless for meeting people that ride in Fort Collins. It's grate if you want to go to bar but when you bring up bikes every person I meet thinks bikes are for riding to the bar.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Sounds interesting. Meetup.com has been useless for meeting people that ride in Fort Collins. It's grate if you want to go to bar but when you bring up bikes every person I meet thinks bikes are for riding to the bar.
    Wait... bikes AREN'T for riding to the bar?

(...and from the bar, and back to the bar, and between a couple of bars with a bunch of singletrack in between...)
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    That sucks! The Lakewood Mountain Biking group is super active...several organizers heading off in every direction on wknds, and you can always get in on a pretty angry Tues evening ride w/ the JeffCo MTB group (this group scares me a bit...I can picture more than a few Strava queens ).
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    That sucks! The Lakewood Mountain Biking group is super active...several organizers heading off in every direction on wknds, and you can always get in on a pretty angry Tues evening ride w/ the JeffCo MTB group (this group scares me a bit...I can picture more than a few Strava queens ).
    Yea there was one but it became a Facebook group. They do a Wednesday ride but it starts too late for me. Its a good group lots of fun when I use to ride with them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think its a great idea, I would use it. I mostly ride alone and some days would like to hook up with one or two other people, but definitely not into riding in large groups like Meet Up etc organize. Mountain Project have a similar sub forum and I have meet a few solid climbing partners through that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Wait... bikes AREN'T for riding to the bar?

(...and from the bar, and back to the bar, and between a couple of bars with a bunch of singletrack in between...)
    well ok yea bikes are good for that. I just never meet any real mountain bikers or road riders at meetups.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for all the feedback so far, I really do appreciate it. Also a big thank you to the bunch of you that signed up for the email list, definitely put a smile on my face this morning.

As far as Meetup goes, pulser and crankinirish hit the nail on the head: Gociety is designed for just getting outside as easily as possible (with similarly skilled people) and in small manageable group sizes. Ideally just a couple people, not 50.

Meetup is more for the person looking to build a big social network, thus the massive bar hopping/networking rides, etc. Not a bad thing at all, but it leaves a lot to be desired when you just want to go ride after work with one or two other people.

So, as I see it, there is room for both of us in the world.

And yes Wiggs and Pau11y, if all goes well, we will of course be expanding into the Christian and anti-Christian markets.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Not coming to Windows Phone/Windows RT? Not interested.
    Proud to race for Mojo Wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just a friendly bump - we've released the beta test version of gociety to a handful of users, and are planning the public launch soon! So far so good.

Also @Jasonvelocity - we'll be launching a mobile web version, which means the site is optimized for all smartphones, Windows or otherwise.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Are you guys gonna release an app when you go live? I dig the idea of arranging rides short notice, but would not want to have to go to a site to do it. The convenience factor decreases from that point.

Good luck on the venture. I'll check it out after I'm done mending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Thanks for the PR.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Are you guys gonna release an app when you go live? I dig the idea of arranging rides short notice, but would not want to have to go to a site to do it. The convenience factor decreases from that point.

Good luck on the venture. I'll check it out after I'm done mending.

Yup, the big idea is to have the entire project be "mobile first", so people can plan and connect on the go, wherever they are.

At first we'll have a mobile-optimized website, and then eventually an Apple/Android/Windows specific app. But you would not believe the insane process of say submitting an app to the Apple store for approval. It's mind boggling.

Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crankinirish View Post
    I think its a great idea, I would use it. I mostly ride alone and some days would like to hook up with one or two other people, but definitely not into riding in large groups like Meet Up etc organize. Mountain Project have a similar sub forum and I have meet a few solid climbing partners through that.
    Bingo.

It's surprising how tough it is to meet people to ride with. I've given my business card to some people I've seen riding the same level trails as me, but that usually never goes any where. It was easier meeting chicks in college bars than it is finding guys to ride with. lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    It was easier meeting chicks in college bars than it is finding guys to ride with.
    Hah, we might have to quote you on that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Bingo.

It's surprising how tough it is to meet people to ride with. I've given my business card to some people I've seen riding the same level trails as me, but that usually never goes any where. It was easier meeting chicks in college bars than it is finding guys to ride with. lol
    I know how you feel. Add that I am not as fast as the fast guys and way faster then the slow guys. And then add on working 60 hours a week. Just trying to connect with someone to ride is more time then I have most of the time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey we just had a mini conversation on instagram!

I like the idea of this, and I am excited to see where it goes!

I recently moved to the front range from durango, so I could see myself using this app. I have actually met my front range riding buddies on instagram so far. And I have used meetup a little, but as stated above, the groups are huge...

Good luck man!

No longer a hardtailkid.
    This is an awesome idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity View Post
    Not coming to Windows Phone/Windows RT? Not interested.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Gociety has a lot of potential. A number of years ago I joined a forum with a similar purpose, OutdoorsClub.org, in Southern California. It simply offered a site where folks interesting in leading events could post them, and other folks could join. It got so popular in the early aughts that the Sierra Club began cross-posting their hikes. It also had/has a very active forum and of course social events. So anyway, something like that could be successful in CO I imagine.

Given that I moved to Denver post-college, married with kids, I find it almost impossible to meet outdoorsy folks given my limited exposure to that environment. So best of luck kicking it off!

As for mobile, I'm sure that's a popular demand. Could be overkill for an event planned ahead of time. But if it had a way of PM/IM'ing participants to provide last minute details (like traffic delays), then it might be worth its weight in gold...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know how you feel. Add that I am not as fast as the fast guys and way faster then the slow guys. And then add on working 60 hours a week. Just trying to connect with someone to ride is more time then I have most of the time.
    Sounds like the problem I have!....though "fast" is relative. I ride Tuesday and/or Thursday evenings and typically Saturday morning. Let me know if you'd like to meet up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sounds like many people in this thread should meet for a ride. Maybe use a Beta version of Gociety? lol

mtbr member
    That sounds like a great idea! I mostly ride solo during the week because I work from home in Golden and get out at odd hours...hard to find folks that can ride during the weekdays. This would be great. I heard Meet up sucks for Denver too but that's just hearsay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast