mtbr member

Recommendations for a shop that can cold set a Frame

I want to spread the stays on my first generation steel Monocog, from 110mm to the standard 135mm. Can any one recommend a shop that can cold set the frame? Ideally the shop would be in the area from Fort Collins to Denver.

thanks
    Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles

i took the wheels home
    Not sure about the shop but I'll tell you that Roscoe's has got some dang tasty waffles and fried chicken... mmm good.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by henrymiller
    I want to spread the stays on my first generation steel Monocog, from 110mm to the standard 135mm. Can any one recommend a shop that can cold set the frame? Ideally the shop would be in the area from Fort Collins to Denver.

thanks
    I can do it, but that's a long way to spread. Does the frame have a chainstay bridge?
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    I can do it, but that's a long way to spread. Does the frame have a chainstay bridge?
    Yes there is a chainstay bridge. There seems to be a few links in the SS forum in which people have stated that they have done this.

An email I just found by Gene Spicer:

"thanks for the email. It can be done for some frames but that is a pretty big jump out to 135 from 110. It often depends on the seat stay and chainstay arrangement and their respective length and overall frame design. Not sure of how it is all all put together.
    The stays are tied at the seat stay bridge so the spread pretty much happens below that or starts at that point.....so that may tell you a lot there and that is the stress point on the tube The best solution may be cut it loose there and replace tube (longer) and repaint.
    I suspect we would see we see some very very mild tube wrinkling going on or paint cracking at least if the the seat stay bridge was left intact.. If it is mono back to the seat stay bridge it may not want to be spread without something giving big time and that is a no no then for a super strong mono frame to the seat stay area.
    In extreme cases I have cut and rewelded seat stay bridges to give me the freedom to spread. I need to see a picture of the frame or something to give you an opinion really.

There are lots of issue to study like the V brake and any disc mount (disc bracket can literally curve once the drops are resquared after spreading).
    Can you send a couple of pictures, side and top view? If all the above pitfalls can be avoided then it is doable. Where there is a will there is usually a way.
    thanks,
    gene"

My Frame is the smallest size at 15.5.

Looks like this could be a serious pain in the butt. Maybe I should look into a nice BMX hub.

thanks
    Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles