Heads up Flyboy!!

Recommeded Hi Country

My wife and kids will be out of town 7/13-7/20. I was gonna work that weekend but they say they have enough people so I'm going camping and riding 7/15-7/17. Looking for something within 4-5 hours of Golden. My head hurts from weeks of car shopping and no riding. So I'm asking you to recommend some areas. My requirements include alpine singletrack and free camping nearby. Thoughts have included Steamboat and Crested Butte but I'm open to new ideas and locales. New Mexico, Wyoming and possibly Utah should be included.

Make MGE smile and I'll bring back pretty photos.

GO!

banned
    the high uintas

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post

GO!
    uhmmm.......Vegas?
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was in CB two weeks ago and there is not much open yet due to snow. I know it's been hot as hades but i would check trail reports before heading down there

My wife and kids will be out of town 7/13-7/20. I was gonna work that weekend but they say they have enough people so I'm going camping and riding 7/15-7/17. Looking for something within 4-5 hours of Golden. My head hurts from weeks of car shopping and no riding. So I'm asking you to recommend some areas. My requirements include alpine singletrack and free camping nearby. Thoughts have included Steamboat and Crested Butte but I'm open to new ideas and locales. New Mexico, Wyoming and possibly Utah should be included.

GO!

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    I was in CB two weeks ago and there is not much open yet due to snow. I know it's been hot as hades but i would check trail reports before heading down there
    heard Doctor's Park was open. I'm good with laps.

Almost not kidding with how good that trail rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thats exactly what i did!

heard Doctor's Park was open. I'm good with laps.

Almost not kidding with how good that trail rides

lone rider
    Troublesome Creek, Stillwater Pass from Hwy 125 or Needle Creek Reservoir. Haven’t been there yet this year but you can start low 9000 ft. and ride to the divide only 9000 to 12000ft. in these areas so you might find something to ride. Secluded and lots to explore.

Team Velveeta™

Durango

... Thoughts have included Steamboat and Crested Butte but I'm open to new ideas and locales. New Mexico, Wyoming and possibly Utah should be included...
    I would choose Durango. They seem to have the most high country open--that part of the San Juans seemed to have gotten the least snow and quickest melt-off of the CO mountains this year.

North of I-70 I hear more snow. CB, snow. Summit, snow.

New Mexico: National Forests are closed. Spoke to a friend from ABQ this weekend, he said that there are actually cops parked at NF entrances (and BLM entrances) keeping people OUT.

Utah is kick-ass: Park City, Deer Valley, etc but I hear they also have a bumper crop of snow still melting.

Durango.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

boxcar
    There's always Monarch Crest and all the trails coming off that. Free, good camping. Although I have been wanting to check out Doctors Park for awhile. Heard nothing but good about that trail/trail network.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat - wife and kids are leaving the week after yours. Too bad its not the same week, or I'd offer to join you. I'm debating between CB, Durango, or Breck. I love CB, but have been there so often - haven't ridden in Durango in years.

BTW - Park City will prob be dry by then. Great trail network, but not a ton of camping close to town.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Durango is a long drive there and back for just a weekend trip. If you had 6 days I'd include Durango. For a long weekend I'd go to Lake City and hike Uncompahgre, then do one ride in CB. The view from the top of Uncompahgre gives new meaning to the word "tundra". Go north out of South Fork up through Creede. Very scenic drive and refreshing to not see a ton of beetle kill. In fact, I didn't see any last time I drove through there, just lush green forest.

edit: oh yeah, hiking at 14,000 now might require a bit of post holing
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    If the Crest opens I'd probably go for that. Tons of dispersed camping on both sides and gobs of options off the ridge to keep you happy. I'd personally go for Canyon Creek as well... it's close by.

That said, who knows if the Crest proper will be ready to go by then...

Team Velveeta™

Yeah, here in Chaffee is a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Durango is a long drive there and back for just a weekend trip. If you had 6 days I'd include Durango...
    Yeah, true. I didn't really see that--I was thinking he was talking 7/13-7/20.

The Crest would not really be part of the deal unless you don't mind post-holing and dropping 15ft off the cornices of big drifts, but we do have a ton of riding, lots of it remote and beautiful open now right around Salida. Ample free camping.

I rode up to Marshall Pass from town Friday, only had to get off the bike once to walk 10 steps through a drift on the trail and did the Silver Creek Trail to the Rainbow and back down 285 to town. I saw nobody.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    If the Crest opens I'd probably go for that. Tons of dispersed camping on both sides and gobs of options off the ridge to keep you happy. I'd personally go for Canyon Creek as well... it's close by.

That said, who knows if the Crest proper will be ready to go by then...
    It is more than 10 days from now... The Crest will probably be mostly snow-free by then. Maybe Cyn Creek as well (I wouldn't try to do either today).
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Heads up Flyboy!!
    I'd love to go to Durango but it is too far for a weekend trip. Looking at Aspen. A buddy reccomended it in an email. Called a local shop there and they said most of the trails are snow free, maybe a bit wet but expect them to be much dryer by next weekend.

This place is wasteland
    breaking news!

goat boy emerges from seclusion and posts on mtbr.

holding back the darkness
    I rode Monarch Crest this past weekend.... The crest trail itself wasn't too bad, apart from a couple 20-50 yrd stretches of snow with one 15ft glissade (yahooo!).
    Rode S. Fooses Creek. It needs some time. Pretty snowy in the first part of the trees (knee-waist deep snow in places, very wet..). The lower 3/4 of Fooses was ripping good as always. I would imagine Greens and the other children to be about the same.. though Agate has a significantly different aspect..
    The stretch of the CO trail between Cottonwood Pass Rd. and 50 is lower and in great shape.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The first descent into S. Fooses Creek:

**** censorship

boxcar
    sub.shiver...thanks for the monarch info