mtbr member

Realtor in Denver?

Any MTBers make their living as a realtor in the Denver area? If so, please send me your contact details. I'd love to discuss home buying with some who knows about access to local trails. If you know anyone, or can recommend a realtor please contact me. Hell, even a roadie would do.
    Draft College Republicans

Oh, So Interesting!
    Check out Real-a-Save

Boulder and Denver Real Estate: Relocation, Homes for Sale, MLS Search, MLS Map Search

Basically, you look for homes yourself on Zillow or whatever site you prefer... then drive by the homes you are interested in and eliminate the ones you don't like... then the agent will take you out for a few hours at a time to look at the houses you are still interested in. In return for you doing the scouting work yourself the agent will give you half his commission. If you're looking at a $250k house that would be about $3k back in your pocket to cover closing or buy a shiny new mt.bike.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

slow
    Send a PM to santaheckler. He should be able to help you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Send a PM to santaheckler. He should be able to help you.
    Thanks mate.. sent him a PM.

mtbr member

google

haven't used him as a realtor, but derek hall is a good guy (sorry, can't think of his MTBR handle). based in golden.

edit: ha! santaheckler it is!
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

old skool newbie
    I think sgltrk is a realtor too, based out of Ft. Collins tho'

mtbr member
    Thanks again everyone! I'll be reaching out to the contacts presented shortly.

edj
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Check out Real-a-Save

Boulder and Denver Real Estate: Relocation, Homes for Sale, MLS Search, MLS Map Search

Basically, you look for homes yourself on Zillow or whatever site you prefer... then drive by the homes you are interested in and eliminate the ones you don't like... then the agent will take you out for a few hours at a time to look at the houses you are still interested in. In return for you doing the scouting work yourself the agent will give you half his commission. If you're looking at a $250k house that would be about $3k back in your pocket to cover closing or buy a shiny new mt.bike.
    Thanks for the tip. Looking for a home in Evergreen area now and wanting an arrangement like they offer here. Also there own search map is pretty good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Any realtor worth their salt is not going to "kick back" any of their commission to the buyer. The seller pays all fees for both realtors (realtor representing the seller, and realtor representing the buyer). Fees range anywhere from 4% to 7% or higher with the realtor representing the buyer typically earning 2.8%. It costs a buyer nothing to use a realtor when purchasing property. Realistically, just about any realtor can probably find you the potential properties you are looking for. In my opinion, a good realtor earns their money when it comes to negotiating price, closing details, etc. and most especially when it comes to the closing table (all the fine details involved including appraisal fees, working with your lender, escrow fees, etc.). The closing table and everything leading up to it after getting an accepted offer is where the real work is done by a competent realtor (again, in my opinion). No, I'm not a realtor, but I play one on TV.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by kplender View Post
    Any realtor worth their salt is not going to "kick back" any of their commission to the buyer. The seller pays all fees for both realtors (realtor representing the seller, and realtor representing the buyer). Fees range anywhere from 4% to 7% or higher with the realtor representing the buyer typically earning 2.8%. It costs a buyer nothing to use a realtor when purchasing property. Realistically, just about any realtor can probably find you the potential properties you are looking for. In my opinion, a good realtor earns their money when it comes to negotiating price, closing details, etc. and most especially when it comes to the closing table (all the fine details involved including appraisal fees, working with your lender, escrow fees, etc.). The closing table and everything leading up to it after getting an accepted offer is where the real work is done by a competent realtor (again, in my opinion). No, I'm not a realtor, but I play one on TV.
    Whatever, my realtor was great. The house I ended up buying had 6 offers the 1st week it was up for sale. My realtor realized that it was a great find and called the seller immediately to ask if it had offers, and it turned out I had 2 hours before the seller had a deadline to respond to a previous offer. He was totally on the ball throughout the whole process and helped me get the house. Real-a-Save offers FULL SERVICES for negotiating and closing, they just won't spend all day taking you around to look at houses because that's something you can do yourself. I had a great experience with real-a-save.

Also, you are wrong that you don't have access to exactly the same listings as the realtors do, that's the whole premise of real-a-save. You DON'T need a realtor to find properties for you anymore, you only need them to gain access to the interior of houses you are interested in looking at.

And, the extra $2.7k I got back was really nice.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Whatever, my realtor was great. The house I ended up buying had 6 offers the 1st week it was up for sale. My realtor realized that it was a great find and called the seller immediately to ask if it had offers, and it turned out I had 2 hours before the seller had a deadline to respond to a previous offer. He was totally on the ball throughout the whole process and helped me get the house. Real-a-Save offers FULL SERVICES for negotiating and closing, they just won't spend all day taking you around to look at houses because that's something you can do yourself. I had a great experience with real-a-save.

Also, you are wrong that you don't have access to exactly the same listings as the realtors do, that's the whole premise of real-a-save. You DON'T need a realtor to find properties for you anymore, you only need them to gain access to the interior of houses you are interested in looking at.

And, the extra $2.7k I got back was really nice.
    fwiw, my wife is a realtor so I likely have some subconscious bias.

Kudos to them for trying a new business model although I have serious doubts about the sustainability.

Also worth noting is the deceptive 1% listing/selling. IMO, it's borderline "bait and switch" in that (assuming the buy side of the sale is through another realtor) it's blatantly excluding the commission paid to the buying agent.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    The closing table and everything leading up to it after getting an accepted offer is where the real work is done by a competent realtor (again, in my opinion). No, I'm not a realtor, but I play one on TV.
    Agreed. When we bought our house, we (meaning my wife) did all the leg work finding our house--all our realtor did was let us go inside of the three houses that made the final cut. Still, the commission that the seller paid our realtor was worth every penny (vs. us getting a kick back). We had a series of SNAFUs during closing that our realtor steered us through with apparent ease, although it was a ton of work and hoops for her.

I've bought two houses in my life. The first was with an average realtor and each of the minor bumps were huge problems (and that was back in '00 when it was still easy to buy a house). The second was with a true pro three years ago and she smoothed out major bumps in this difficult to buy market. Dealing with a professional of your choice is the only way to go vs. whoever gets today's lead from a website generator. (and I would get biking location advice from bikers--find a realtor who knows houses instead ).

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've used real-a-save and the agent was top notch (based out of Boulder). Gotta love getting 1/2 the commission back (1.4% or 1.5% of the sales price). With the internet, there is no reason why you can't narrow down your search and that is what their model is based on. Back in the 'old days' when only agents had access to the MLS (and a single picture), it was a different story. I haven't used their 1% listing service but you get everything except an open house and save 2%. There are also brokers out there that will put your house in the MLS for a flat fee of $200 and will handle all the contract stuff, escrow, etc. for another $800. Getting it in the MLS is really what you need, rarely do listing agents bring in the buyer (plus most folks these days understand there is a huge conflict of interest if they handle both sides). Gone are the days of the 6% commission.

edj
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Biopace View Post
    I've used real-a-save and the agent was top notch (based out of Boulder). Gotta love getting 1/2 the commission back (1.4% or 1.5% of the sales price). With the internet, there is no reason why you can't narrow down your search and that is what their model is based on. Back in the 'old days' when only agents had access to the MLS (and a single picture), it was a different story. I haven't used their 1% listing service but you get everything except an open house and save 2%. There are also brokers out there that will put your house in the MLS for a flat fee of $200 and will handle all the contract stuff, escrow, etc. for another $800. Getting it in the MLS is really what you need, rarely do listing agents bring in the buyer (plus most folks these days understand there is a huge conflict of interest if they handle both sides). Gone are the days of the 6% commission.
    Agree with this. When I look for a house I'm willing and want to get to know everything on the market in the area before I take the plunge. I'm not willing or want to rely on a realtor to feed and show me properties. I can figure that out, so why should I pay the full commission? In my experience realtors are willing to lower their commission to reflect what they actually do for you - if you negotiate with them. I think this real a save is a smart business model and I'm happy to hear the agent is doing a great job in the area (negotiating and closing the deal) where I want a realtor to be smart, solid, and totally protecting me. My 2 cents.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt View Post
    haven't used him as a realtor, but derek hall is a good guy (sorry, can't think of his MTBR handle). based in golden.

edit: ha! santaheckler it is!
    Give him a buzz. He may refer you to someone else, as now he's keeping the Golden streets safe from bike-theives.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Denver Realtor

I just came across your message in this forum, I may be too late to the game but just thought I would check and see if you are still searching for a Realtor. I'll make this short and quick, I grew up in the Denver area and had been doing residential real estate for almost a decade. I am part owner of our real estate company and we've sponsored a 50 man cycling/mountain biking team for the last 4 years here in Denver. That said, we are avid cyclists and are heavily involved with the community. Again no worries if you've already moved forward, if you haven't yet feel free contact me. Not sure if I'm allowed to put personal contact info, website etc. on here so I'll just wait for your reply and go from there. Thanks.

mtbr member
    FYI...one of the units in our small condo complex (only 8 units) is for sale by owner in Golden. We are right in town easy access to trails and GCB As well as the rec center and everything else Golden has to offer. Our condos are nice with attached two car garages, not much in Golden is for sale right now. PM me if you are interested....be great to get some more bikers in our complex.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    It costs a buyer nothing to use a realtor when purchasing property.
    Say what? Sure, the commission is built in and the system is set up so the buyer doesn't pay the realtor out of pocket, but it's a complete lie that the buyer doesn't pay the realtor. Arrangements like the one Davec linked wouldn't exist if the services were truly free. Only someone who doesn't understand how the process works or a realtor would make such false statement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    Say what? Sure, the commission is built in and the system is set up so the buyer doesn't pay the realtor out of pocket, but it's a complete lie that the buyer doesn't pay the realtor. Arrangements like the one Davec linked wouldn't exist if the services were truly free. Only someone who doesn't understand how the process works or a realtor would make such false statement.
    Not false at all. The seller pays all commissions to both brokers in the transaction. Tell me which fees the buyer pays to their broker.

mtbr member
    My last two homes I've had to call up agents, explain, Hi, my name is Bob and I would like to buy THIS house, make it happen. I've had a closing fall through when neither my agent or the selling agent checked the amount of the appraisal (got appraised at the intial offer price not the contract price back when appraisals always came in at ~contract price but the dumbass buying agent had sent the offer not the contract along to the appraiser/bank), I've had advice not to insult the sellers (and low and behold the sellers accepted the insulting offer). If you know where you want to live and are fine with the financing stuff, I don't see much of the value of an agent nowdays. My favorite was when I bought a new construction and as we were going through the contract we got to the page for my agent, I didn't have one, so i put in a friend of mine who had helped on a previous purchase. He was thankful and kicked back half and took us out to eat and didn't really do anything but show up at closing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    FYI...one of the units in our small condo complex (only 8 units) is for sale by owner in Golden. We are right in town easy access to trails and GCB As well as the rec center and everything else Golden has to offer. Our condos are nice with attached two car garages, not much in Golden is for sale right now. PM me if you are interested....be great to get some more bikers in our complex.
    Anyone looking to move to the Denver area, here it is.

Central Golden is awesome. Downtown bars and beer, library, schools (including the high school), shopping, restaurants, four bike shops, trails within walking/riding distance, rock climbing, kayaking, Colo. School of Mines, easy access to Denver and the mountains, ect.

I wish I had moved to the town of Golden in the 80's when it was no more expensive than Arvada or Lakewood. The housing prices there have skyrocketed in the past 15 years and is one of the few areas holding its own in the real estate market today.

I have no idea about the OP or the specific property he mentions, but Central Golden is one of the best places in the entire US for someone committed to the outdoors while still having to work an urban gig.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Anyone looking to move to the Denver area, here it is.

Central Golden is awesome. Downtown bars and beer, library, schools (including the high school), shopping, restaurants, four bike shops, trails within walking/riding distance, rock climbing, kayaking, Colo. School of Mines, easy access to Denver and the mountains, ect.

I wish I had moved to the town of Golden in the 80's when it was no more expensive than Arvada or Lakewood. The housing prices there have skyrocketed in the past 15 years and is one of the few areas holding its own in the real estate market today.

I have no idea about the OP or the specific property he mentions, but Central Golden is one of the best places in the entire US for someone committed to the outdoors while still having to work an urban gig.
    Downtown Golden from North Table Mountain. How many trails can you see from these pics?
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 04:58 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    NTM, Green Mountain, Matthews/Winters, Red Rocks, Dakota Ridge/Zorro, Apex, Chimney Gulch, the C470 and Clear Creek bike paths (concrete), if you had panned further north White Ranch and possibly some of Golden Gate SP. You wouldn't be able to see from that spot, but to the north are more NTM trails, the Fairmount Ditch Trail, the trail out by Ralston Res, and then just to the east is the Golden Bike Park.

Basically right beneath the first picture are the rock climbing areas. The Clear Creek kayaking area runs through the west side of downtown.

I'm sure I missed a few.

mtbr member
    OP is currently down under and previously from ATX, so Golden would be right in line with budget and needs/wants...