mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Rattlesnake at Spring Brook Again!

First, let me say "thanks a lot man for rattling so loud!!" because my right calf was about 1' from his coiled self while I was walking off trail today.

There isn't a number big enough to describe the amount of ways it would suck to get bit by a rattler. Well, actually there are at least 300,000 to 700,000 reasons in dollars. That's what I've just read people (their insurance) have to pay for a complete regimen of anti-venom (which these days is CroFab) plus hospital stay plus messed up leg or wherever you get bit.

Used to be I'd see a rattler way before I got close enough to have them rattle at me. Not the last two times at Spring Brook. In fact, the ONLY two times at Spring Brook. First time I was 4" from stepping straight down on one (maybe it was this one, who know?) this time it was coiled up under a little bush and I was walking up onto the rock to his right. Man they blend in with their surroundings.

I hopped back about four feet, we eyeballed each other for about a half hour and I got a few pictures of him.

Sticks tongue out---are you still here?

I backed away far enough he started to uncoil and change his location. He moved so slow, maybe he'd just eaten a couple of tasty mice (which I've never seen there either).

I would get so wrapped up looking at him through my viewfinder I would forget to see where my feet were shuffling. Holy carp, wonder if he has a brother here somewhere. Suddenly I was paranoid as sh!t about snakes and I'm usually never paranoid.

He was about 4' long, kind of fat in the middle.

His rattle looked like it glowed in the dark.

He moved away to under another bush.

where he got locked and loaded once again.

That's it for off trail for me at least for the rest of this year. No longer can I say there aren't any rattlers at Spring Brook. My right calf is still throbbing from the "what if..."
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

The 5th knuckle
    Nasty stuff. I know it's their turf and I'd never kill one just because it was there, but dang. Not a fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    I'm not sure if it's true or not, I'm not a researcher. But I have heard from other non-researchers that they believe modern day rattlesnakes don't rattle as much as they used too. People have killed rattlesnakes in huge numbers for a long time and the ones that were easily found were the ones that rattled, leaving the "less inclinded to rattle" snakes unharmed and able to breed more rattlesnakes that don't rattle so much.

All I know is that I stepped over on last summer and it didn't even budge, I just thought it was a stick until my wife started screaming. Also had one snap at my dog and rattle after the fact, luckily it didn't get her.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

mtbr member
    Nice pics.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPavement View Post
    I'm not sure if it's true or not, I'm not a researcher. But I have heard from other non-researchers that they believe modern day rattlesnakes don't rattle as much as they used too. People have killed rattlesnakes in huge numbers for a long time and the ones that were easily found were the ones that rattled, leaving the "less inclinded to rattle" snakes unharmed and able to breed more rattlesnakes that don't rattle so much...
    That's a really interesting theory. I find that the ones around here don't really rattle all that often. Makes a lot of sense that the quiet ones were inadvertantly selected to prosper...
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Now with 10% more!
    Cool pictures. The 5 or so I've seen up here in FTC were a bit lighter in color and easier to spot than that one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I saw one last sunday on the Belcher trail in White Ranch, 3 1/2 to 4 ft.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Rattlesnakes are generally harmless when left alone. Most of us have probably ridden by quite a few and never even realized they are there.

On a side note the theory about not rattling as often does seem to be true from what I have read. However prairie rattlesnakes seem to rattle more and strike more than there larger cousins out east. Maybe it has something to do with the mentality towards killing them in the south vs here.

I dream on two wheels
    I almost ran one over yesterday while climbing the dirt rd to Dakota Ridge. I didn't see or hear him until I was about a foot away, he then slithered into the grass, still not making any rattle.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've already seen 2 large ones on South Table Mtn this year, and another on Rattlesnake Gulch in Eldorado Canyon (I almost stepped on that one!). I usually see several on Green Mountain each year, but so far I haven't.

I agree about them usually being harmless. The only time I've heard them rattle was when some dumbass girl was throwing rocks at one on GM a few years ago (she said she was trying to kill it... idiot!), and another time when my brother and I almost stepped on one on Apex.

Usually they just silently slither away though. Freaks me out every time I see them, I start thinking every stick ahead is a rattler! I definitely prefer to encounter them on the bike vs. on foot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Rattlesnake at Spring Brook Again!

I was at Dakota ridge the other day. I heard a guy fall down the first steep climb in the parking lot. About 30 seconds later I hear this loud rattle sound(I'm from out of state). I look over and the guy was super shaky because he just saw a rattle snake. Then he asked me to help him find his glasses :O so now I'm searching around in the weeds for some random dudes glasses waiting for a rattle snake to leap out at me like an anaconda.