Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Front Range, Colorado

Rattlesnake bite at the Backbone...

Anybody hear of a rider getting bit by a rattlesnake at the Devils Backbone recently? I don't have the full details but this is what I heard. I heard the hospital bill was upwards of $300K / holy crap I don't know if he had insurance,but if not that could put a crimp in your wallet. I just hope he is physically okay and had insurance.
    UPDATE:Thanks to MtbRN who provided this link to this story 3 days after my initial post. Mountain Biker Tells Of Surviving Rattlesnake Bite - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 08-07-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

slow
    I have not heard about that one, but my friend's daughter was bitten about 3 weeks ago down near the water at Horsetooth Reservoir. She is fine, but he said the anti-venom was not cheap. I never heard a total cost of her hospital visit.

Our group saw a pretty good-sized one in Lory on the East Valley trail last Wednesday evening. Fortunately the guy in front saw it in time to stop and warn the rest of us so we could get a bunch of photos (and then go around the snake).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rattlesnake bite at the Backbone...-snakehunters.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was in the blue sky lot yesterday when a guy pulled in to tell us his brother had been bitten the day before. Apparently he was bitten on the fly and didn't realize it until it hurt severely and he turned around to see the snake in the trail. His brother said the rider was okay, but was still in the ICU.

slow
    I am going back to riding before the 7:00am snake wake up call.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherf@&king snakes on these motherf@&king trails!

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yikers!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Think I'll keep riding above 9000 ft until the colder weather comes in. My friend from Texas lost his hand after getting bitten by a rattler. Can't stand the bastuds!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Here's a rattlesnake I saw at the top of Tower at HTMP on July 2:

And if you hang out strictly above 9000 feet, you'll have to deal with what I encountered today at the Montgomery Ditch:

That's four of the eight moose I saw today.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerglen View Post
    Here's a rattlesnake I saw at the top of Tower at HTMP on July

And if you hang out strictly above 9000 feet, you'll have to deal with what I encountered today at

That's four of the eight moose I saw today.
    Ha,ha great shot although it's a bit scary having a mother Moose with her calves trotting towards you. Those creatures are bit unpredictable.
    My sister was up in Walden this morning helping with a race. She has a photo of 4 HUGE Bull Moose hanging together. A pretty awesome sight for sure. And I would take those sightings ten fold over a Rattler.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 08-04-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    I would much rather encounter a rattler than moose. Moose scare the hell out of me.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by literocola View Post
    I would much rather encounter a rattler than moose. Moose scare the hell out of me.
    A Moose isin't too hard to spot compared to a Rattler blending into it's surroundings. It's like stepping on a land mine, by the time you see him it may be too late.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    I've never had the privilidge of encountering a rattler, which amazes me for how much time I ride and the times I choose to ride. I hear a lot about rattlers here in Pueblo at Red Gate, but never seen one, I have even tried looking for one, just out of curiosity.

If your hauling arse down the trail, and one is in the way, what do you do? I dont know the right way to handle the situation, and if that situation occurs whats the best action? I would imagine stop and let him do his thing? What if you just hop over him? Bad idea? This is where I feel like a blond, which I am.....

Front Range, Colorado
    I've never had the privilidge of encountering a rattler, which amazes me for how much time I ride and the times I choose to ride. I hear a lot about rattlers here in Pueblo at Red Gate, but never seen one, I have even tried looking for one, just out of curiosity.

If your hauling arse down the trail, and one is in the way, what do you do? I dont know the right way to handle the situation, and if that situation occurs whats the best action? I would imagine stop and let him do his thing? What if you just hop over him? Bad idea? This is where I feel like a blond, which I am.....
    If you see one they are very easy to avoid. They can only strike half of thier body length which is 2'. Just ride around them or at high speed bunny hop them. It's the ones you don't see that will get ya. When you stop for a break one could be hidden right where you step or sit down.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 08-05-2012 at 12:39 AM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

Front Range, Colorado
    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!
    No problem and seeing how you ride mainly around Pueblo you are garunteed to see one eventually.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    A Moose isin't too hard to spot compared to a Rattler blending into it's surroundings. It's like stepping on a land mine, by the time you see him it may be too late.
    The Moose might decide to chase you down and stomp on you. Rattlers are just trying to get away, unless you do step on/near them.

I'm way more cautious of a Moose. Huge body, small brains, and they like to be alone, sometimes forcing the point. Albiet my Dad is from Finland so I grew up hearing some crazy moose stories.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    Think I'll keep riding above 9000 ft until the colder weather comes in. My friend from Texas lost his hand after getting bitten by a rattler. Can't stand the bastuds!
    So rattlers don't hang out above 9000 ft? I'm headed to Breck for vacation tomorrow, so this is good news!

Front Range, Colorado

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    The Moose might decide to chase you down and stomp on you. Rattlers are just trying to get away, unless you do step on/near them.

I'm way more cautious of a Moose. Huge body, small brains, and they like to be alone, sometimes forcing the point. Albiet my Dad is from Finland so I grew up hearing some crazy moose stories.
    Totally agree Moose are very unpredictable and dangerous. I was just saying if I had a choice of sightings between a Moose a Rattler the Moose wins hands down. A much more majestic sighting than a Rattler. I've seen many a Rattler in my day but rarely a Moose.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Team Velveeta™

Quote Originally Posted by mwcet8k View Post
    So rattlers don't hang out above 9000 ft?...
    Back when I moved to the area in '82, Laramie, WY, the conventional wisdom I heard was that there pretty much were no rattlers above about 6,000 feet. That may be true up north of the CO border, but I know better in terms of down here.

They are pretty common right around Salida, 7,000 feet. I see them on our local trail system up to about 7,500 ft. I once saw one on the way up to the Rainbow Trail, a little over 7,500 on a dirt road that winds along between arid pinon/juniper and irrigated hay fields.

I can't say I've ever seen one much above 7,500. Buena Vista is super arid, and has the same kind of ecosystem along the river we have. Never heard of one being seen up there. It's right at around 8,000 feet.

So, yeah, 9,000 is way beyond where they would be seen, unless they hitched a ride on a hay truck or something.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I wouldn't count on a rattler-free high country see:

Rattlers in the High Country :: SuperTopo Rock Climbing Discussion Topic

mtbr member
    Maybe today while a shred some of the 2013 Specialized demo bikes!

Why do I get this feeling I'm gonna be one of the only people there.......
    Last edited by literocola; 08-05-2012 at 06:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mwcet8k View Post
    So rattlers don't hang out above 9000 ft? I'm headed to Breck for vacation tomorrow, so this is good news!
    I saw a few at about 8900 feet in Happy Jack a few weeks ago, which is just east of Laramie, WY, sunning on some rocks. I was always told they don't live above 6000 feet as well, but I have countless friends that have had their horses, dogs, etc bite by them above those elevations. I guess it's been a bad year for them up here in Wyoming (guessing Colorado too) since the winter was so mild and dry.

Personally, I'm scared to death to come across them, but the good thing is that the national anti-venom distribution center is in Denver, so we are "lucky" in the sense that we have pretty quick access to the stuff if needed. It is insanely expensive, as was discussed!

Front Range, Colorado
    Some misconceptions on Rattlesnake behavior in this thread. They are commonly seen above 9000 feet elevation.
    Also during hot summer months they are more active hunting at night. So don't think an early morning ride you are safe from any encounters. In fact I failed to mention in my initial post that this bite happened on a night ride.
    Rattlesnakes (DesertUSA)
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    VICTORY!!!!!

Got to see one at Red Gate today! You wernt joking about land mines, my buddy passed him and didnt see him, I was like- Rattler right there! We were on foot too, walking up the trail.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Some misconceptions on Rattlesnake behavior in this thread. They are commonly seen above 9000 feet elevation.
    Also during hot summer months they are more active hunting at night. So don't think an early morning ride you are safe from any encounters. In fact I failed to mention in my initial post that this bite happened on a night ride.
    Rattlesnakes (DesertUSA)
    The night rides I do usually occur shortly after dusk when the temps are still pretty warm, so I could understand snake events on a night ride. I choose early morning rides for the cool temps and thought rattlers were less active in those cooler (60's) temps.

On the other hand, I do worry about mountain lion encounters during the same early morning hours. I guess you can't avoid all dangers, so you choose the lesser of the evils.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast