Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I work in .001 tolerances

Rant - Fox Float RP3 - unserviceable?!?!

So, I've been around motorsports, snowmobiles, dirtbikes and the like over the years. I've also been biking over half of my life here on earth, so I know a few things about servicing Fox shocks. This brings me to my current rant.....

I have an older RP3 shock that needs new damper oil and a nitro recharge. I've done the air sleeve (many times) and I DO NOT NEED any custom valving (aka Push). Apparently NO ONE, I mean NO ONE other than Fox and Push can recharge the nitro?!?!?!

When I used to re-valve my snowmobile shocks we had a huge bottle of nitro in the shop. A matter a 30min to re-valve, re-charge and I was back riding my snowmobile seeing what effect the changes I made had to the suspension. It was no biggie. Anyone could do it. Seriously, it isn't hard to recharge the nitro with the needle tool.

This brings me to my current dilema..... I don't want to spend $100+ dollars just to rebuild the shock to normal condition. I just want to refill the damper oil and recharge the IFP chamber. Hell, I'd be just fine using air instead of nitro, but that doesn't seem possible without the tool. (which NO ONE has, except Fox and Push)
    What is everyone doing with this situation? I talked to Fox and they want $120 for a full rebuild! I'd go the Push route for a little more than that, but I'm fine with the Comp and Rebound functions.

Has anyone found a cycle/sled shop that can recharge the nitro side of things? I'm worried the needle guage is slightly larger than what the MTB shocks need.
    I've found some good info online and even found a massive zip file of Fox documents with exploded views, specs, and the like for my shock. IFP depth and the like. The file even has a service update in which Fox is telling dealers that the Nitro side of my RP3 is now getting pressurized to 400psi instead of the 'normal' 300 psi. I don't even have the means to pressurize something to 400psi......

I'm really frustrated with Fox right now. Great product until it needs servicing and then I'm supposed to pay almost half of the cost of a new shock, just to rebuild my old one!?!?
    I am more than competent and confident to do this myself, but how?

Any help on the matter is appreciated and I know I'm not the first to ***** about Fox's proprietary damper. Feels like a Monopoly with Fox and Push being the ONLY ones that can work on these.

/Rant, Just needed to get that off my chest!

Edit; I understand this 'may' belong in the suspension section, but I'm looking for Front Range solutions. I.E. can another shop re-charge the nitro?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Is this like changing the blinker-fluid in a car?

I've been having a hard time finding a shop that will do it for less than $100. I'm so angry!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post
    Is this like responding to a subject you have no idea about?
    Yes, yes it is.

mtbr member
    If you have the tank, why not buy the tool you need and offer the oil/N2 charge as a service to recoup your cost? Will this ever come out in the wash? If you price it competitively enough, you can get w/ the bike shops that don't do N2 charge and have a nice little supplemental income thing going as well as helping out other CO/FR riders in the same situation... Just my immediate thoughts.

Edit: hell, I may have an Avy that needs oil and N2...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    If you have the tank, why not buy the tool you need and offer the oil/N2 charge as a service to recoup your cost?
    Wish I had a tank. The tank belonged to my old employer; Speedwerx in MN.

I'd love to do this for folks around here, but pretty sure the needle fill tool will not/cannot be sold to ANYONE. (except Push)

Hell, even Mojo can't do the fill, but wishes they could because there is a lot of money to be made behind Fox's back!

My leg feels funny

Quote Originally Posted by liqwid View Post
    Actually yes, but I'll try them again.

My first couple of phone messages and emails, were never answered......

mtbr member
    Try Pedal Pushers in Golden. I saw you are in the Denver area. They have a guy named Eric that worked for Push. Maybe they can get you going.

http://pedalpusherscyclery.com/contact-us/

Woody

Stand back
    You might check with Pedalpushers in Golden. Their head mech used to work at Push, too.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    You might check with Pedalpushers in Golden. Their head mech used to work at Push, too.
    Great minds think alike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN View Post
    Wish I had a tank. The tank belonged to my old employer; Speedwerx in MN.

I'd love to do this for folks around here, but pretty sure the needle fill tool will not/cannot be sold to ANYONE. (except Push)

Hell, even Mojo can't do the fill, but wishes they could because there is a lot of money to be made behind Fox's back!
    All I can say is look to Asia for something... If it's been made, it either started there or there's a copy of it there, somewhere. Also, might hit up a place like ChainReaction or TFTune for a pic of the assembly or the part number

Edit: what's this thing - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GVD686/...SIN=B000GVD686
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

PedalPushers = good guys, but alas. They cannot do anything. Their hands are tied as well.

I'll keep you posted as I may end up doing this myself.....
    Here's what I'm thinking I need to order:
    I've even found one setup that can be ordered with a schrader valve threaded in one end so a shock pump 'could' be attatched.....We shall see

Yea Paully, thats what I'm thinking. Just need to find out if this is the same for MTB as it is for the motorsports side of things.

Who knows, you might be able to swing my the Highlands with a 6'er and I can rebuild you shocks!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I abandoned Fox back in 1996 because of the lack of user-serviceability. Only recently have I returned because that's what came on my new bike...

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I abandoned Fox back in 1996 because of the lack of user-serviceability. Only recently have I returned because that's what came on my new bike...

Good luck.
    Amen to that! Looks like all air shocks have a nitro charge, so I'm gonna open up shop at home damnit!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Amen to that! Looks like all air shocks have a nitro charge, so I'm gonna open up shop at home damnit!
    You could always abandon Fox...

mtbr member
    Yea Paully, thats what I'm thinking. Just need to find out if this is the same for MTB as it is for the motorsports side of things.

Who knows, you might be able to swing my the Highlands with a 6'er and I can rebuild you shocks!
    You might need this article then

http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-comp...itrogen-pellet

Edit: woo... I have no idea where .za is, but: http://www.blackflag.co.za/store/det...eedle-kit.html
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Yup, read that too.

I've pretty much used up all the interweb resources and only so many people will devulge their secret to refilling. Most can get 'close' to the correct psi, but never perfect. It makes a huge diff to have the pressure 'right on'

In the Uber-secret Fox docs I have, they list the durometer of the pellet and part number to order replacements! (not that they'd sell them to me)

Fox is so D@mn tight lipped about such a minor thing!

mtbr member
    Yup, read that too.

I've pretty much used up all the interweb resources and only so many people will devulge their secret to refilling. Most can get 'close' to the correct psi, but never perfect. It makes a huge diff to have the pressure 'right on'

In the Uber-secret Fox docs I have, they list the durometer of the pellet and part number to order replacements! (not that they'd sell them to me)

Fox is so D@mn tight lipped about such a minor thing!

Curious, have you tried atmospheric air? Yeah moisture...yada yada. RS uses atmospheric air... as does Marz in their Roco's resi.
    The other thought is to look into CO2's properties, but I don't think it will work since it's significantly heavier. Might have too much heat capacity and start acting funny when it gets warm.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Moisture in Colorado air? Funny...

mtbr member
    Moisture in Colorado air? Funny...
    Hey smart guy, what happened on Monday? Wouldn't be too funny if you were camping at Curt would it?

Edit; okay, sorry, Curt is in WY, whatev...
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hey smart guy, what happened on Monday? Wouldn't be too funny if you were camping at Curt would it?

Edit; okay, sorry, Curt is in WY, whatev...
    What the hell are you talking about?

Damned Canuckistans.

mtbr member
    What the hell are you talking about?

Damned Canuckistans.
    No moisture in CO air? Are you sure? Do you recall Monday of this week? Seriously, no moisture? There was a 4 ft deep pool of water the size of an Olympic regulation pool by my work where there was once a field...only grass today.

Edit: the term you're thinking is "relative humidity". Relative to N2, you have Monday. Relative to Seattle, CO air is like the friggin' Sahara.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Curious, have you tried atmospheric air? Yeah moisture...yada yada. RS uses atmospheric air... as does Marz in their Roco's resi.
    The other thought is to look into CO2's properties, but I don't think it will work since it's significantly heavier. Might have too much heat capacity and start acting funny when it gets warm.
    Yea, I'm totally down with filling it with air. Nitrogen is in the air and by itself is slightly more stable at pressure than air. I believe that's why they fill with nitro.

The BIGGEST hurdle is the filler needle......Hopefully that'll be remedied soon enough!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you need a 6.5 x 1.5 I've got one ready to go, no charging necessary (and it's been PUSHed). Actually, there is a charge--you need to buy it from me.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast