Got single track/speed?

Rangers cut no slack for Hikers at Centennial Cone Today

I saw 3 hikers get tickets at the Mayhem Gulch parking lot. No warning either. One got out of his car next to me, walked past the ranger truck w/ranger inside, and walked past the sign that says "bikers even, hikers odd days". The ranger let him walk right past and didn't say anything. The hiker was back down in less than 10 minutes. He must have gotten an earful by all of bikers bombing down the trail. The ranger waited for him and gave him a ticket.

I'm not happy that anybody got a ticket, but at least this shows equal treatment and feel somehow satisfied after what I saw earlier this year a Lair O the Bear.

-Chuck

BTW, awesome day at the 'Cone. Warm, dry, and not too much traffic early in the day. After 2PM, fugeddaboudit!
    Last edited by chuckjoga; 11-16-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Pivot Rider
    Rangers were ticketing hikers last Saturday as well. Plus there was one riding up on Centennial in order to catch any that weren't coming up the Mayhem gulch way. They've been receiving reports that the hikers are hiking on biking days no matter what the sign says. Reason? "well, they drove all the way up there, so they might as well go ahead and hike"...... I'm glad to see the even distribution of ticketing...
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

mtbr member
    That's impressive actually. I agree that I feel like a weasle cheering for other people to get tickets, but at least they're showing some willingness to enforce their policy.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member

Sunday Swirly Coney Goodness

I was up there today, for the first time.I really enjoyed it, a lot different from Deer Creek, or Apex where you grind straight up and bomb down. It was warm and dry, but it was also windy as hell. The last 3 miles on Elk I was riding directly into 25-30 mph winds. Not fun. As for not being crowded before 2pm, I started at about 11am and was constantly passing, being passed, (several times by a herd of attractive ladies in striped socks ), yielding, etc. I thought it was pretty packed. I can't imagine it being worse than that.

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, it's nice to ride up and down, up and down during a ride and not climb for an hour descend for 20 minutes like the typical front range rides.

I went there on ONE weekend day this season and now will only go during the week when I get the chance.

old skool newbie
    I startled a runner very early (6:30ish) last Sunday. She had run half the loop and I kept seeing her just around the bend. Finally came around the corner to catch her taking a pee. After apologizing for startling her, I told her it was biker only day just to add to the em-bare-assment. Didn't see anyone else out there until just before the parking lot ,but thought if we can't ride on hiker days they shouldn't use our days, no matter how early.
    Glad to see it being fair and square.

Moosehead
    Bwwaaahaaaahaaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaaa!

Got single track/speed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub*
    I was up there today, for the first time.I really enjoyed it, a lot different from Deer Creek, or Apex where you grind straight up and bomb down. It was warm and dry, but it was also windy as hell. The last 3 miles on Elk I was riding directly into 25-30 mph winds. Not fun. As for not being crowded before 2pm, I started at about 11am and was constantly passing, being passed, (several times by a herd of attractive ladies in striped socks ), yielding, etc. I thought it was pretty packed. I can't imagine it being worse than that.
    We got started around 9:45 and I was leaving the parking lot at around 1:00. It was pretty packed by then with the overflow lot, well, overflowing. Earlier was definitely better. And, the wind was definitely picking up.

-Chuck

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjoga
    I saw 3 hikers get tickets at the Mayhem Gulch parking lot. No warning either. One got out of his car next to me, walked past the ranger truck w/ranger inside, and walked past the sign that says "bikers even, hikers odd days". The ranger let him walk right past and didn't say anything. The hiker was back down in less than 10 minutes. He must have gotten an earful by all of bikers bombing down the trail. The ranger waited for him and gave him a ticket.

I'm not happy that anybody got a ticket, but at least this shows equal treatment and feel somehow satisfied after what I saw earlier this year a Lair O the Bear.

-Chuck

BTW, awesome day at the 'Cone. Warm, dry, and not too much traffic early in the day. After 2PM, fugeddaboudit!
    Yeah, I saw that too. I have no sympathy for the hikers as with bikers who don't follow the rules.

It was an amazing morning. Left the lot around 9:30 (edit: I guess it was more like 9:45) and was screaming up Mayhem (I pased you and your friends about half way up. Was moving pretty good until the intersection of Travios before the upper (mid way) lot. I stopped to help a guy fix his chain (that took 30 minutes). Oh well. I was happy to see that 99% of those who passed asked if they could help .

Then I passed you on the way down Mayhem. Too funny.

Members who have read this thread: 0