mtbr member

rampart res. 24 hour race?

I know my group of friend have talked about it over and over but does anyone else think that rampart res would be a great location for a 24 race? the loop seems to be ideal and the location seems like it would be ideal as well as far as camping and staging areas go. I wonder what it would take to organize such a thing??

Quote Originally Posted by xcutterx
    does anyone else think that rampart res would be a great location for a 24 race?
    Nope. Dumbest idea floated on the board in a long while.
    Speed of Lightening
    Roar of Thunder

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    I may have no idea what I am talking about, but don't most people who race the 24hr type races run cyclocross bikes? RRR might be a bit too much for them.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

Biker Beau
    We've hit upon a particular niche that would fit in quite well in the CS/Front Range area...

24hr Cyclocross races!

That would be one hell of a long day...

Your retarded
    Actually, Rampart Reservoir would make for a pretty good course. Some spot might be a little too soft for cross bikes, but XC bikes would be perfect. Hit up Uncle Trail and see what he thinks.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflexables
    There are too many organized events on the FR public land as it is.

Nothing sucks balls worse than to finely get a day off from work and all those honey-do's done to then find your fav trail taped, ribboned and chalked...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity
    I may have no idea what I am talking about, but don't most people who race the 24hr type races run cyclocross bikes? RRR might be a bit too much for them.

Most people who race 24 hrs. ride XC bikes. Check out pictures from 24 in Moab or Old Pueblo. I was just at the OP race and saw one or two cross bikes in the village, not on the course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflexables
    what exactly is so dumb about may i ask?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Not dumb imo, but putting together a 24 hr race and have it go off well, is no small undertaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Hit up Uncle Trail and see what he thinks.
    Ah yes, you must go through the Gate Keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by xcutterx
    what exactly is so dumb about may i ask?
    Here's a few things that come to mind.

Over the years I've noticed that lot's of people who don't ride bikes also love to do their thing on the Rampart shoreline trail. I'm not sure that shutting them out for an entire weekend would build a whole lot of good will. As a confirmed NIMBY I'd be pissed if years of access issues were the price I have to pay so that several hundred people can ride in circles for a day.

Course wise, you have passing room when you cross the dam and when you cross bridge and hit the access road on the West end. That probably wouldn't stop riders from riding off trail in between to get around slower riders.

Camping is limited to two small campgrounds. Dispersed sites are non existent.

24 hour events have a large footprint and huge impact on the land. Rampart is not set up to support an event of this size.

Forget Uncle Trail's approval. Have fun getting the buy in from the utility that controls the water.
    Speed of Lightening
    Roar of Thunder

mtbr member
    I remember doing a typical afternoon “official/organized” XC race around Rampart Res years ago, seemed to go off pretty well. But I have to agree, this area would not work so well for a 24hr format. That said there are local areas that could handle a 24 hr race if you really wanted to pursue it.
    ---------------
    me have blog

forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I'm 110% behind bringing MTB racing back to the area.

I can't say one way or another, but if you are talking about a sanctioned 24 event, then the main issue is; It's in the watershed.

Colorado Springs Utilities has implemented an Interim Watershed Access Policy until they can develop a mechanism for approving request for uses such as commercial recreation. Take a look at this map;
    http://csu.org/about/projects/watershed/12898.pdf

Then read section 4.1.1 about Zone 1 restrictions in this document;
    http://csu.org/about/projects/watershed/12181.pdf

The Rampart venue looks tough to me. Have you thought about something near Palmer Lake? The town is looking for ways to increase tourism and generate revenue. Lot's of great food downtown...

mtbr member

Ya, that might work

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail
    I'm 110% behind bringing MTB racing back to the area.

I can't say one way or another, but if you are talking about a sanctioned 24 event, then the main issue is; It's in the watershed.

Colorado Springs Utilities has implemented an Interim Watershed Access Policy until they can develop a mechanism for approving request for uses such as commercial recreation. Take a look at this map;
    http://csu.org/about/projects/watershed/12898.pdf

Then read section 4.1.1 about Zone 1 restrictions in this document;
    http://csu.org/about/projects/watershed/12181.pdf

The Rampart venue looks tough to me. Have you thought about something near Palmer Lake? The town is looking for ways to increase tourism and generate revenue. Lot's of great food downtown...
    I concur, Palmer area could be a great venue for a 24 event. Now if some one would just step up………

And thanks for the map with the Zones & zone explanations, answers a lot as I ride around these "Zone" areas all the time
    ---------------
    me have blog

forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

mtbr member
    don't they have the 24 hours of elephant rock in that area some where?

Sorta. They run a 24 hour up in Greenland open space, but the riders park at the north end, and it doesn't really effect Palmer Lake.

I would love to see more biking interest in my area. The only action we see is the roadies flying by all summer

Your retarded
    Be careful what you wish for, Jason. As interest increases, so does conflict and impact. Look at our brotherin up north.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.