mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Is Rampart lake a good place to ride?

makinmg a trip near the springs area and was wondering if this is a decent place to ride?

at one time i have ridden the captain jacks(i think this is the name)area and was a cool ride.

just wanting some good ideas.

Roger
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

Team Inflexible
    What is this you speak of "Lake of Rampart". Pretty sure you ment Rampart Reservoir.

If so it is one of my favorite classic Pikes Peak area rides. About a 15 mile loop from the Rainbow Gulch TH. Real flowy terrain with spectacular views. I would recommend it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Do it. It's fun.
    WTF

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    It's one of the most beautiful rides in the area with great Peak views, water, and aspen trees. It isn't very technical, but there are some places where the exposure above the resivour seems a little sketchy if you're afraid of heights or water.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thanks for the info i think we will do it,sounds like fun.

is there anymore suggestions in the area,something fairly technical?

mtbr member
    There are a lot of tree across the trail (as of Memorial Day). It's a lot of short up and down, no long hills really. Overall, I would not call it technical, but there are some squeezes and washed out sections with a scree landing pad. After a mile in, I didn't see anyone else on the trail until the dam, it gets really crowded 4th of July weekend.

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by ROG30Y
    thanks for the info i think we will do it,sounds like fun.

is there anymore suggestions in the area,something fairly technical?

Try Williams Canyon. It makes Captin Jacks seem like a bike path in comparrison. Jones Park is good also but can be tough as a loop with all the climbing involved. You can also connect Jones with Captin Jacks and the Chutes, or even better finish off with a little twister.

I am sure somebody on here will recommend Palmer Park. Very technical but not my fave.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Jaydude,what are the names of the two trails below captain jacks?one was right at the bottom of captain jacks and was kinda like a roller coaster if i remember right and the other one started at the bottom of the hill by the pavement and was a bigger loop.

where is williams canyon at?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jchull
    There are a lot of tree across the trail (as of Memorial Day). It's a lot of short up and down, no long hills really. Overall, I would not call it technical, but there are some squeezes and washed out sections with a scree landing pad. After a mile in, I didn't see anyone else on the trail until the dam, it gets really crowded 4th of July weekend.
    As of Saturday night (6/19) there was only a half dozen downed trees left. Looks like someone has been working on clearing the trail, there were a lot of fresh cuts.

After 9 PM we didn't see any other bikers on the trail It is a nice night ride.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    Try Williams Canyon. It makes Captin Jacks seem like a bike path in comparrison. Jones Park is good also but can be tough as a loop with all the climbing involved. You can also connect Jones with Captin Jacks and the Chutes, or even better finish off with a little twister.

I am sure somebody on here will recommend Palmer Park. Very technical but not my fave.
    Did Jones Park the other day, and I doubt I will ever do it again, just getting to chewed up from the Moto's.

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    Did Jones Park the other day, and I doubt I will ever do it again, just getting to chewed up from the Moto's.

Jones is definitely best early season and after/during rain.