mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Rainbow Trail (Westcliffe) Question.

Has anyone here ridden all 32 miles of the "Rainbow Trail"from N to S? Recently? Worth going?

Im want to do something epic before the yearly excursion to Moab.

Cheers!

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I've done a fair bit of it around Hillside (N. & S. from Billy Humble Rd.). Some of it's swoopy, some's been torn up by ATVs, and all of it's rocky. Perhaps you'll get a reply from someone who's done more of it and can give you a better description. The good news is you'll likely have it to yourself.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler
    Has anyone here ridden all 32 miles of the "Rainbow Trail"from N to S? Recently? Worth going?

Im want to do something epic before the yearly excursion to Moab.

Cheers!
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    I've done a fair bit of it around Hillside (N. & S. from Billy Humble Rd.). Some of it's swoopy, some's been torn up by ATVs, and all of it's rocky. Perhaps you'll get a reply from someone who's done more of it and can give you a better description. The good news is you'll likely have it to yourself.
    - Joe
    Thanks Joe!

From that section you did, would you ride it again? How long was that piece?

I can get around the ATV damage if there is some sweet pay off, but dont want to get up there and be dissapointed if I have never ridden it before. I hear its gorgeous.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've ridden and hiked alot of the Rainbow Trail around Westcliffe to Music Pass. It is rocky and there can be ALOT of trail damage from ATV's, motorcycles, etc. However, it's what you make of it. It's beautiful with LOTS of wildlife. It's like any other trail, some like it, some hate it. I say go for it, what do you have to lose?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Muff
    I've ridden and hiked alot of the Rainbow Trail around Westcliffe to Music Pass. It is rocky and there can be ALOT of trail damage from ATV's, motorcycles, etc. However, it's what you make of it. It's beautiful with LOTS of wildlife. It's like any other trail, some like it, some hate it. I say go for it, what do you have to lose?
    Good point! Better than being in my cubilcle is how I always look at it.

I think we might do it in a couple of weeks. If anyone would like to join, im sure we will have room. We will be departing from the Springs, I will post more details later. I will also post pics once completed.

If anyone knows of anything to watch out for on the trail, best tips, etc, let me know!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've ridden some of it. Personally, I didn't like it. Not that interesting from a riding point-of-view, and the loose rock and churned up dirt from all the ATVs got tiresome after awhile. I do like that part of the state, however, so if you haven't been there before then what the heck, go for it. It is a beautiful area and worth checking out. For good riding I would head north and try the trails around Salida/Nathrop/Buena Vista.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I'll be riding it again, but only because I'm in that area at least a couple times each year. It's time spent on a bike, so it's good, but I wouldn't go out of my way to ride that stretch of the Rainbow. It certainly doesn't suck, but there are much nicer trails on the other side of the Sangre de Cristos.
    - Joe

Thanks Joe!

From that section you did, would you ride it again? How long was that piece?

I can get around the ATV damage if there is some sweet pay off, but dont want to get up there and be dissapointed if I have never ridden it before. I hear its gorgeous.

mtbr member
    You can have more fun somewhere else. The rainbow trail has a TON of large loose rocks. If yor are looking for an epic ride in the area check out Lake Isabel. Park at the bottom of the snowslide trail (just inside the park entrance "free"). Ride to and up the Cisneros trail inside the lake Isabel Park. It's about 2 hours to the top of he Cisneros trail. From greenhorn MTN road (at the top) ride west to the St. Charles trail ( roughly 5 miles). Next: enjoy some exquisit back country, rarely ridden, seldom seen before singletrack. Take the right fork from the end of the 2 track downhill the rest is all bliss. Trust me this is far more epic and tons more fun than the Rainbow

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Blah... blah... blah.... This trail is rocky... There's lots of dirt on this trail... AND ROCKS...! I can't shuttle it and then BOMB down it . I hate challenging myself on my bike!!! OMG people, grow some balls and ride

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Blah... blah... blah.... This trail is rocky... There's lots of dirt on this trail... AND ROCKS...! I can't shuttle it and then BOMB down it . I hate challenging myself on my bike!!! OMG people, grow some balls and ride
    I suppose riding some chewed up, super loose and sandy trail with loose baby heads from ATVs and dirt bikes would be considered challenging. Except the parts that are so nasty they have to be pushed that is.

But that doesn't mean it's any fun,

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    I suppose riding some chewed up, super loose and sandy trail with loose baby heads from ATVs and dirt bikes would be considered challenging. Except the parts that are so nasty they have to be pushed that is.

But that doesn't mean it's any fun,

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well it's all there for you to show how big your balls are Muff. It'll be you and the ATVs and Motos. Have tons of fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kberkle
    You can have more fun somewhere else. The rainbow trail has a TON of large loose rocks. If yor are looking for an epic ride in the area check out Lake Isabel. Park at the bottom of the snowslide trail (just inside the park entrance "free"). Ride to and up the Cisneros trail inside the lake Isabel Park. It's about 2 hours to the top of he Cisneros trail. From greenhorn MTN road (at the top) ride west to the St. Charles trail ( roughly 5 miles). Next: enjoy some exquisit back country, rarely ridden, seldom seen before singletrack. Take the right fork from the end of the 2 track downhill the rest is all bliss. Trust me this is far more epic and tons more fun than the Rainbow
    That sounds pretty sweet, thanks for the tip on that one. May have to go that route.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Well it's all there for you to show how big your balls are Muff. It'll be you and the ATVs and Motos. Have tons of fun!

Know what? I don't even need BALLS to ride that trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That sounds pretty sweet, thanks for the tip on that one. May have to go that route.

Not sure if most people are aware of this, but much of the St. Charles and Cisneros trails are protected as wilderness areas. I'd be careful riding in those areas. We used to ride many of the trails regularly around there, ie. St. Charles, Cisneros, Barlett. However, they were given that status when Clinton was on his way out of office. So... just thought I'd pass that through

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Muff is such a bad-ass...

Cisneros to St. Charles is OK, but I prefer Cisneros to Snowslide. The downhill on Snowslide kicks butt; fast, twisty, rocky, steep -- it has it all. I don't know what Muff is talking about when he says it is wilderness in that area -- those trails are not designated wilderness.

That said, I would still go up to Salida.

mtbr member
    I currently live and ride in Westcliffe. I personally do not enjoy riding the Rainbow south of Cottonwood Creek (this section allows for ATVs). I agree, the trail condition, as described above, pretty much sucks. You'll have a much better time riding the Rainbow north from say Howard, CO towards Salida/Poncha (this section allows for motorbikes but no ATVs and is in much better shape). Cheers,

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BonkedAgain
    Muff is such a bad-ass...

Cisneros to St. Charles is OK, but I prefer Cisneros to Snowslide. The downhill on Snowslide kicks butt; fast, twisty, rocky, steep -- it has it all. I don't know what Muff is talking about when he says it is wilderness in that area -- those trails are not designated wilderness.

That said, I would still go up to Salida.
    Yes... I AM a BAD ASS . And yes, it was designated as a wilderness area just like I said . I hope I don't offend. You people need to stop taking things so seriously. I thought riding was supposed to be fun. I also thought these forums were for info, advice and just all around BS'n. I guess I was wrong. BonkedAgain-don't be a HATER

mtbr member
    Chandler drop me an e-mail if you would like to ride that loop (kberkle@yahoo.com). I did it last week had tons of fun! Lots O Climbing from lake I sabel but worth every foot. It takes at least 3.5 hours to ride the whole loop. Need to start early!
    Not to worry about Wilderness. I checked the Map (MUFF) and Snowslide, Cisneros, and St. Charles are well clear of designated Wilderness.