mtbr member

Racing in Colorado

The plan is to race on June 9th in the Ascent Cycling Series in Colorado Springs. The question I have is I plan on arriving to Colorado Springs the Friday before the race. Is that enough time to get use to the higher altitude by Wednesday night? What are some things I can do to help me adjust to this? Right now I plan on riding the trails every day except for that Tuesday.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by HUSKERS
    The plan is to race on June 9th in the Ascent Cycling Series in Colorado Springs. The question I have is I plan on arriving to Colorado Springs the Friday before the race. Is that enough time to get use to the higher altitude by Wednesday night?
    Not really.
    What are some things I can do to help me adjust to this?
    Not much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects...tude_on_humans

<100%
    What I have heard is that unless you have a couple weeks to acclimate, for best performance arrive the night before. Since you are probably coming to have fun and your race is not the most important thing in your life, you can limit alcohol, stay hydrated, and leave the Cornhuskers paraphanelia at home .

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    You can try holding your breath alot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    At least the springs isn't that high in elevation. It's not like you are racing in Summit County. It'll hurt you a bit, but are you racing for training, fun, or for a place?

Living Large in Germany
    Sep 2008
    Similar topic over in the XC racing forum that might be able to help you out.

Training for 2010 nationals

BTW are you coming out just for the race?