Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882

    Races for photographers

    I went to Sol Vista last summer for the Nationals and had a great time. Part of that was that I got to ride my Superlight to the top of the mountain twice, taking pics on the way down. This summer I'm just taking pics, so my question is: what races in Colorado would I want to attend this summer to catch top talent? I might have missed some already but the summer is young. Last year I saw rider after rider hitting that 50' gap and it was pretty unbelievable.

    Here's a guy that barely made that gap:
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  2. #2
    Big Boned
    Reputation: Manmountain Dense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,535
    Top talent like this dude?

    Snowmass was pretty awesome last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

  3. #3
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    Crankworkx Colorado is a Pro GRT stop so it should have talent.
    Nationals at Sol Vista definitely will.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    Crankworkx Colorado is a Pro GRT stop so it should have talent.
    Nationals at Sol Vista definitely will.
    Heck, yeah, Sol Vista again in July. I was thinking that the Nationals rotated where they set up yearly, never thought the event would return in 2010.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  5. #5
    killin clear creek
    Reputation: backcountryislife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    762
    Don't miss crankworkx!!








    SV nationals would be the other one I'd not miss, some big hits there!
    (sorry for the crappy edits, I just did them a min ago, never processed that folder last year!)
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

  6. #6
    ONE WORD: GRAVITY
    Reputation: nhltfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    222
    any MSC race will have a group of pro riders that you could take picturesof . im in cat 2 and would love some pics too

    check this website for race details and such....


    I think Jared Graves is going to be in snowmass next weekend

    But yeah other than the sanctioned MSC races, I would hit up SolVista again for Nationals, and Winter Park for Crankworx

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I went to Sol Vista last summer for the Nationals and had a great time. Part of that was that I got to ride my Superlight to the top of the mountain twice, taking pics on the way down. This summer I'm just taking pics, so my question is: what races in Colorado would I want to attend this summer to catch top talent? I might have missed some already but the summer is young. Last year I saw rider after rider hitting that 50' gap and it was pretty unbelievable.

    Here's a guy that barely made that gap:

    He's just making sure he has more transition to pump . Looks pretty relaxed, so I'm guessing he was pretty comfortable with how things were going. Bike angle seems steep, ao I am wondering if he tapped some brake to bring the front end down intentionally.

    Nice shot!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    He's just making sure he has more transition to pump . Looks pretty relaxed, so I'm guessing he was pretty comfortable with how things were going. Bike angle seems steep, ao I am wondering if he tapped some brake to bring the front end down intentionally.

    Nice shot!
    It was pretty hit or miss at which point I got any particular rider in the air or landing. Notice how the guy's front tire and fork haven't begun to compress yet (in the previous pic). Some guys went over that gap like it was nothing, others just didn't approach/takeoff like they probably wanted. Like this guy; I'd say he's using all of his travel in back:
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  9. #9
    Awesomist™
    Reputation: Full Trucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,506
    See that first orange line, right at the edge of the landing? That's 48 feet.

    See the awful full compression of bike and rider? That's 47.
    The older I get, the faster I was.





    Punch it, Chewie.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    266
    Having seen more of the landing now, are you sure the guy noseing in rode through that? Looks like there might be enough nose down to end up OTB. Looks like he is handling the situatioj prety well though.

    Did the majority of riders gap that? Did it line up easily...Haven't raced at Sol Vista since 2003 or 2004 and just now thinking about lift serviced riding again

    Great photos again!

    Full Trucker...Yeah, I would much prefer 48 over 47 myself...you remember the road gap at Snowmass a long time ago...first huge gap in the MSC series that I remember...that thing mutilated people during practice and most ended up going around or roll it...seems riders have progressed to moto sized hits now...well, except for me!

  11. #11
    ONE WORD: GRAVITY
    Reputation: nhltfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    222
    These jumps are smaller this year. They have shortened them a little. Coming out of the trees on Stranger you dont even have to pedal.

    The perfectly manicured lip of the jump is pretty much all you need.

    Go check em out. They are easily huckable

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    Having seen more of the landing now, are you sure the guy noseing in rode through that? Looks like there might be enough nose down to end up OTB. Looks like he is handling the situatioj prety well though.

    Did the majority of riders gap that? Did it line up easily...Haven't raced at Sol Vista since 2003 or 2004 and just now thinking about lift serviced riding again

    Great photos again!

    Full Trucker...Yeah, I would much prefer 48 over 47 myself...you remember the road gap at Snowmass a long time ago...first huge gap in the MSC series that I remember...that thing mutilated people during practice and most ended up going around or roll it...seems riders have progressed to moto sized hits now...well, except for me!
    Yeah, he made it. I didn't photograph any rider who crashed while I was taking pics. Like I say, some just sailed perfectly through the air to perfect landings, pretty impressive. It was something when a rider had caught up to the rider in front of him and they both flew through the air at the same time.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  13. #13
    Awesomist™
    Reputation: Full Trucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,506
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    Having seen more of the landing now, are you sure the guy noseing in rode through that? Looks like there might be enough nose down to end up OTB. Looks like he is handling the situatioj prety well though.

    Did the majority of riders gap that? Did it line up easily...Haven't raced at Sol Vista since 2003 or 2004 and just now thinking about lift serviced riding again

    Great photos again!

    Full Trucker...Yeah, I would much prefer 48 over 47 myself...you remember the road gap at Snowmass a long time ago...first huge gap in the MSC series that I remember...that thing mutilated people during practice and most ended up going around or roll it...seems riders have progressed to moto sized hits now...well, except for me!
    Oh how I do remember that road gap... if I remember right that one was ~45 or so. No WAY I would have considered hitting that thing back then, and although I've jumped a couple things over 40' it still scares the Bejesus out of me every time. Part of it is rider progression, but I think a lot of it has to do with BUILDER progression as well.

    nhltfour kinda hit on this saying "The perfectly manicured lip of the jump is pretty much all you need."

    Well, that... and speed. The guys building the big jumps these days have a much better comprehension of shape, speed, location on the mountain, etc. There were PROs that carcassed themselves on that thing at Snowmass, and you see intermediate rider's hitting jumps nearly as big as that one these days, just built better. Not saying that's all of it, there's certainly rider progression as well, but well-built, safe features steepens the leaning curve considerably.
    The older I get, the faster I was.





    Punch it, Chewie.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    554
    http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/1830900014.html

    CX Magazine looking for photos...

    We're barely publishing this thing, so we can't pay shooters - yet. (Well... there are a couple of guys that have been contributing for many issues that make a little something now). But currently, we're hoping to find newbie shooters stoked to see their work in our pages only to be compensated by the glory of being published, and seeing their name/web url in print!

    It is a nationwide magazine however... and growing quickly just like our sport. The editor/publisher lives in the Bay area, and myself, the designer, now lives in Boulder after doing two seasons amidst the Cross Crusade in Oregon.

    We're publishing issue #10 right now and looking for shots.

    Holler if ya got something or a link to a site, etc....

    THANKS!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •