mtbr member
    Nov 2008

The Quiver Dilemma

One of my friends left town Wednesday with my MCR in his garage. No worries I said, I have been meaning to put some time on my Fuel EX9 to see if I still have love for that ride. I live up in Evergreen (clever), ride Bergen Peak from my house or up Dedisse and loop through Sisters.

YTD I think I have just under 300 miles on the MCR, love the way it climbs. Love to get on the pedals and crank it up the awfulness of Bergen or the ease of EvMtn. When I ride with one of my friends on his full sus bike he drops me pretty good coming down EvMtn (he is on a StumpFSR), but just love to climb on the hardtail. So I took her out Friday post work for a quickie around Sisters up EvMtn in the snow and mud. It climbs like such a pig compared to the MCR, but even in the mud coming down was faster, grinnier. Saturday I put in a longer loop in the Sisters area, muddy as hell, but fun. I can't stand on the pedals on climbs due to geometry differences on the EX which isn't my fave but damn does it smooth out the bumpy stuff. Sunday afternoon I only had about 1.5 hrs to get out, so I go to the Sisters again, coming off EvMtn it was dried, tacky heroish. Pick line why just bomb over stuff. I had the fork and shock dialed back so I could just bomb through crap. I had my Garmin on, will look at waypoints tonight to see how it compares to actual time on the MCR.

So the challenge is, what is in the middle? What will climb like the MCR and go down close to the EX? I dunno, I've kicked tires around. Fondled the EPIC 29er but think if you have the best sus design why the BRAIN? Maybe I'll just buy a carbon hardtail and keep the EX. My LBS guy knows me well enough to say how many skis you have? uhm...If I do go to the middle is it going to be like skiing a 100 waisted ski in powder? Well it works ok, but 115+ is that much sexier? I ride the local several nights a week, weekends are open to Buff or whatever I have time for.

Anyhow, sweet blog I know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sounds like you need one of these:
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

mtbr member
    I made the switch from FSR to VPP back in 2006, and never looked back. FSR was a nice design back in 2001, but now it needs the brain to help it match current designs. VPP2 and Maestro/DW are much farther along.
    EX9 is like a 4" bike right? Try a 5" VPP (Blur TRc that's due out shortly, and the LTc) or DW bike (Turner 5 Spot or some flavor of a Giant). These won't climb like a HT, but may be livelier than the EX.

Disclaimer: I haven't ridden the DW Link personally, but have ridden w/ ppl who have ridden both. Per them, they're pretty damn close. Personally, I've drank the VPP koolaid and like it. I still have my FSR, but it'll be a frozen hell before I hop on it again (gonna give the frame to a buddy of mine).
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The Tallboy is interesting, sucky about the one bottle mount, which is alright I guess for long rides I'll throw on the Camelback. Living riding where I am I don't really need to go over 4" I don't think.

Those S Works Epics fit alot of the bill, but it seems weird that they have to stick the BRAIN on their xc oriented buggies especially for this price.

Rigid in Evergreen
    If I were buying a new FS rig, I'd definitely get another VPP design.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evergreener
    The Tallboy is interesting, sucky about the one bottle mount, which is alright I guess for long rides I'll throw on the Camelback. Living riding where I am I don't really need to go over 4" I don't think.

Those S Works Epics fit alot of the bill, but it seems weird that they have to stick the BRAIN on their xc oriented buggies especially for this price.
    The Brain may be one of the best execution of a platform shock...only responds to forces coming from below. Too bad Spec had to roast Stratos for it, but that's another story and thread (on DH forum). Again, I'd consider newer sus designs. From your description have you given a SuperFly 100 any thought? That's on the same page as a EX right, but bigger wheels? Bang for buck, I really like the Giants too.

I want to test ride a Tallboy too! Was seriously looking at one when I was shopping (for a plastic bike), but decided to stay 26, for now. I've been riding too much plow-bike like setups to jump on something so XC...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    I made the switch from FSR to VPP back in 2006, and never looked back. FSR was a nice design back in 2001, but now it needs the brain to help it match current designs. VPP2 and Maestro/DW are much farther along.
    EX9 is like a 4" bike right? Try a 5" VPP (Blur TRc that's due out shortly, and the LTc) or DW bike (Turner 5 Spot or some flavor of a Giant). These won't climb like a HT, but may be livelier than the EX.

Disclaimer: I haven't ridden the DW Link personally, but have ridden w/ ppl who have ridden both. Per them, they're pretty damn close. Personally, I've drank the VPP koolaid and like it. I still have my FSR, but it'll be a frozen hell before I hop on it again (gonna give the frame to a buddy of mine).
    I've ridden almost all to test them out. Personal favs are those w/the DW linkage -- they climb like there's no tomorrow! The Giant Anthem 29er and the Pivots will put any HT to shame IMHO -- but then I'm not a fan of a HT (I think I've forgotten how to ride them). I've tried the VPP and it seemed a bit sluggish to me. Single pivots or modified single (i.e. Fuels and FSRs) are just not very efficient to my way of thinking. just my .02.
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ive had a DW link 5 spot, a blur lt2, and now a mojo HD (which is by far the best bike ive ever ridden, and is a dream come true). Personally, I am partial to the DW link. I feel it climbs better than VPP and is WAY better on the descents. Check out the brand spankin new Ibis Mojo SLR. It is one sexy machine. If i was looking for a 5" trail bike...it would definitely be at the top of the list.