mtbr member

Quick CO bike vacation question

i have 4 full riding days on a bike vaca to Colorado next month.

plan is to do trestle bike park, doctors park, monarch crest, and crested butte bike park

With all the detail planning I am slightly considering just chilling at trestle the whole trip...cheaper, less details to plan, use trestles airport shuttle and not rent a car

My question is would i be really missing out bigtime and does trestle warrant 4 days back to back? I dont get to do bike vacations often so its not like i'll have the opportunity to do those other rides anytime soon if I just stay put at trestle.

We have some locals on the trip but they cant really help with transportation of the out of towners bikes due to lack of racks

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Crested Butte! Good Bike Park and some killer trail riding, i.e. 401, Dyke, etc.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    i have 4 full riding days on a bike vaca to Colorado next month.

plan is to do trestle bike park, doctors park, monarch crest, and crested butte bike park

With all the detail planning I am slightly considering just chilling at trestle the whole trip...cheaper, less details to plan, use trestles airport shuttle and not rent a car...
    I would pick one or the other. It's about a 5 hour drive from WP to Crested Butte. And as B-Raaten says, CB has lots including Park Riding and Lift-served riding. And it has views that will injure your eyes.

My opinion anyway.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    use trestles airport shuttle and not rent a car
    Did you already get an estimate for this? I looked into it last year and they quoted me $400 for round trip. Not sure if they've changed prices for this year, but that's steep. I'm heading up to WP in a couple weeks and was able to rent a car for the weekend for $23/day, I'll be able to pay for the bike rental and lift tickets with the difference. Just wanted to throw that out there before you made any definite plans.

mtbr member
    No Mayo I had not gotten a quote; thanks for the heads up.

I think its looking like CB is not to be missed, so I will probably stick to the original plan.

I appreciate the replies and so stoked to enjoy a sampling of your great state!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Good call. I love Trestle, but you can definitely get your fill in a day then move on to CB. Have a fun trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    CB. Just ride ride ride and get to know the area. No more scenic place to be found. And no pressure to be driving to the next great area, you're already there. As TomP says "And it has views that will injure your eyes."
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Not-quite-geezer RVer

Hot tip regarding the CB bike park!

CB has a deal where the lift goes FREE on Friday afternoons from 4:30 to 7:00.

Which means that if you'll be there on a Friday, you can get in a good hard trail ride in the morning/afternoon, then squeeze in a few hours of lift-served fun in the evening for gratis. You'll probably want to pay a regular day too, but this is a super sweet little lagniappe and you can ride A LOT in 3 hours on the lifts.

For example, one Friday last summer I did the dreaded Deer Creek loop starting from town, then rolled into the resort base area about 4pm to get my free pass, rode lifts from 4:30 sharp until 7, and finished with a sunset descent of Westside to Upper to Tony's back to town. Made for a wonderfully varied and novel day on the bike despite Deer Creek itself living up to (down to?) its bovine-infested reputation.

We also did a regular paid day at the park one non-Friday afternoon after riding 401 in the morning, so don't be afraid to double things up if you're inclined... the lift rides exercise a totally different half of your body it seems.

Oh, and if you can't tell, I'm another vote for just spending all your days in the Butte and minimizing your driving. Maybe stop and do Monarch if you're strongly inclined to that since it's roughly on the way anyway, but there's truly endless options in CB and it is just a wonderful little bike town to experience.
    "Rollin' on 20s and 27.5s" ride reports and more at WWW.DEBCAR.COM : Debbie and Carey's RV Travel Website

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FoldsInHalf View Post
    ...super sweet little lagniappe...
    Anyone else have to Google that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    sorry, guys, i'm about to faux pas in your forum, but i do have the dreaded tire question:

Currently I have 2.5 exo minions front and rear on the bike im bringing. I find the minion out back to be a bit too slow on all but the steepest and chunkiest stuff in the southeast and not quite worth the extra grip

i have a couple other options for a faster rear and would appreciate any rec's: a brand new lust high roller 2.35 or a fairly worn spechy eskar 2.3 tubless (the latter being the fastest, least grip option)

any other random advice would be carefully heeded, too. i noticed looking at Winter Park races last weekend that there has been some crazy after noon weather

EDIT: and i definitely had to look up lagniappe; +10 vocab points

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Any tire will work just fine.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Awesomist™
    You want the Minions. If you're gonna be a couple days in bike parks and not climbing, always go for grip. The High Roller wouldn't be a bad choice either, but I don't personally think the Eskar is necessary. Like you said, fast but least amount of traction. I'm biased though—I run giant, slow, grippy tires always.

Also, ride the biscuit might be the best username EVAR.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'm gonna prop the sh*t outta you!

I've actually been somewhat embarrassed by my alias at times, as it was created when I was deep into a time of fandom of a band called the disco biscuits, ha