mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Questions from the gym

I've been rehabbing a fakked up left shoulder for over four months now. I get to my gym at 7am daily (self-employed, I make my own hours). Things are ever so slowly coming around.

I have a question about, well, spitting at the urinal. I've never ever spit into the urinal but more often than not the guy next to me, the first thing he does is spit.

As you know, standing at a urinal is a guy's quiet time so I've never asked anybody why they spit but I have almost burst out laughing at the regularity of it.

Is this some genetic male tendency that I somehow missed out on? I've never chewed tobacco either; in some segments of society I'm sure that would be considered some manly right of passage. So, what's with the spitting?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I have a question about, well, spitting at the urinal. I've never ever spit into the urinal but more often than not the guy next to me, the first thing he does is spit.

So, what's with the spitting?
    Sounds like you are hanging out with *****.

Big Boned
    It's called "seasoning the pisser."

Rolling
    I thought spitting in the urinal was a secret us males made a pact not to reveal to the general public?

Next thing you know, the ladies will reveal all about the secret martini bar in their restroom.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I thought spitting in the urinal was a secret us males made a pact not to reveal to the general public?

Next thing you know, the ladies will reveal all about the secret martini bar in their restroom.
    Nothing the ladies could do in their restrooms would surprise me. OTOH...
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Now with 10% more!
    I don't see (hear) it as much at the gym, but it seems where I work a prerequisite to using the urinal is passing gas for the longest sustained period of time possible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    as long as they're not spitting over into your urinal....

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Howmuchyabench?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280
    Howmuchyabench?
    I can't bench with my messed up shoulder, but I know you were just kiddin'. The most I ever did before was...ah, doesn't matter.

So from the replies here it appears that: those who do spit don't notice that they do and if they are aware that they do they don't know why. Those who don't spit don't notice the guy next to them spitting. I'm still not gonna ask anyone there, just wondering. I'm not losing sleep over this.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    The more important question is who likes to mess with the Urinal protocol vulnerability?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    The more important question is who likes to mess with the Urinal protocol vulnerability?
    I guess there's only two rules that I'm aware of: no talking and never voluntarily choose to tap a kidney next to someone if you can choose a spot that isn't next to someone.

And spitting, maybe, only I've never seen that formally written in as a rule.

For the ladies, I'm guessing the two rules would be: always talk and never even attempt to spit. Am I right, ladies?
    Last edited by xcguy; 01-17-2010 at 09:40 AM.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

For the ladies, I'm guessing the two rules would be: always talk and never even attempt to spit. Am I right, ladies?
    There are ladies who read this forum?

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    If a bathroom is an atom, males are electrons filling the orbitals...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_configuration

Thread Terrorist
    When someone comes up next to you just say "wow, this water is cold!"

Thread Terrorist
    Sometimes guys use 'spit' for lube, perhaps its just habit

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Sometimes guys use 'spit' for lube, perhaps its just habit
    It's so one doesn't have to stop during the peaking moments.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Seeing as spitters are not stepping forward with their reasons, I did me some Googling and here's what I've found:

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/562255

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...=1006041305378

http://stupidevilbastard.com/index/s...ng_in_urinals/

Interesting replies include: guys who unbelievably have never witnessed other guys spitting and don't believe it happens to "hey, I gotta spit somewhere" to "just gauging wind speed and direction". Now that last one makes some sort of sense, I guess, if you indeed are inclined to spit. The only time I spit is if I've partially inhaled some nasty insect while riding.

friend of Apex
    Aim for the stream. It kills the time.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Rolling
    Q: "Why do men spit in the urinal?"
    A: "Because they are easier to find than a baseball game."

This is how it started...

Follow up...

Is this some genetic male tendency that I somehow missed out on? I've never chewed tobacco either; in some segments of society I'm sure that would be considered some manly right of passage. So, what's with the spitting?
    Well I've never really given this much thought until I witnessed this at the Western National stock show this weekend. Wow! This happens alot! I thought this must be just a cowboy thing but your experiences at the gym proves otherwise. But here are a few of my thoughts on what may cause this peculiar behavior.

1. Priming for the intended event.
    2. Relieving one's 'stage fright'.
    3. Time for a new dip.
    4. Public restrooms make one's mouth water.
    5. I've drunk so many beers I think I'm gonna throw up....but I have to pee first.

What ever the reason, I will now, and forever, notice this every time I have to use a public restroom.
    Thank you for pointing this out.
    Life is about the ride.

mtbr member
    I don't spit in urinals, and never noticed the habit with men in bathrooms in general.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    I don't spit in urinals, and never noticed the habit with men in bathrooms in general.
    You've led a sheltered life, man. Believe me you'll notice it when it happens from now on. We're electing you to be the one to turn to the guy who just spit and ask him why.