mtbr member

Questions about riding to Waterton Canyon.

I now live in Highlands Ranch and would like to ride to Waterton Canyon/Colorado trail. Hope to get some miles in on my day off.

Can I ride the Highline Canal trail to the Waterton Canyon Trailhead?

Based on my research there seems to a section of the Highline Canal that does not connect and is on private land. (By Santa Fe and W. Titan Rd.)

Map:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=s&...73f01458210611

I assume that there is a bike path in Chatfield State Park from c470 and Santa Fe to the Waterton Canyon Trailhead. I would prefer to ride on dirt and not deal with cars. Looks like I would have to connect a few bike paths/roads to get there?

Map:

http://www.parks.state.co.us/SiteCol...eldAreaMap.pdf

Any other recommendations?
    Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by henrymiller View Post
    I now live in Highlands Ranch and would like to ride to Waterton Canyon/Colorado trail. Hope to get some miles in on my day off.

Can I ride the Highline Canal trail to the Waterton Canyon Trailhead?

Based on my research there seems to a section of the Highline Canal that does not connect and is on private land. (By Santa Fe and W. Titan Rd.)

Map:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=s&...73f01458210611

I assume that there is a bike path in Chatfield State Park from c470 and Santa Fe to the Waterton Canyon Trailhead. I would prefer to ride on dirt and not deal with cars. Looks like I would have to connect a few bike paths/roads to get there?

Map:

http://www.parks.state.co.us/SiteCol...eldAreaMap.pdf

Any other recommendations?
    You cannot take the Highline Canal the entire way... I have tried... I ride this way to work sometimes... Ride The Highline from Santa Fe (N of Highlands Ranch Parkway) south for a mile or so till the trail gets very close to the West Railroad tracks side and cross (looking both ways ). You will see some worn sandy tracks where others have across before you. Walk your bike across the tracks and you will see a steep washed out trail heading west that evolves into a concrete trail. Take the concrete path through Chatfield St. Park to the road heading west (Really not sure why they built it). Take the chatfield road west at the Y that leads to the park entrance (The main road wraps all the way around the park)... Take this road about a mile or two till the park road starts turn north (you will see a rough road heading south into the bird park place). Take this road till it dumps you out onto the trail that parallels Wadsworth and go south. This will pop you out just north of Waterton.

Other option is to take 85 to Titan... There recently built a medium that extends for about 90% of titan, not really that bad. PM me and I can send you Strava links as necessary.

mtbr member
    There's single track in chatfield that starts just south of the swim beach area. Take it south and it pops out at the southern tip of the reservoir.. Cross the street (kingfisher) and the trail continues on your left and goes into the woods and ends up by the Audubon society. Make a left and continue south on a gravel path a short ways and you'll come out at the Waterton parking lot. The section between the road and Audubon center is a choose your own adventure there's quite a bit of trails but they mostly lead to the Audubon center. Just follow the platte south. Its fun easy single track but there can be a lot of horses.

I ride from the bike path at chatfield just east of wads worth to access that stuff. You could take the c470 bike path to the road that goes over the dam in chatfield to the swim beach area and start the trail there

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Highline -> Chatfield crossing: 39.538806, -105.041074 - Google Maps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverPoke View Post
    You cannot take the Highline Canal the entire way... I have tried... I ride this way to work sometimes... Ride The Highline from Santa Fe (N of Highlands Ranch Parkway) south for a mile or so till the trail gets very close to the West Railroad tracks side and cross (looking both ways ). You will see some worn sandy tracks where others have across before you. Walk your bike across the tracks and you will see a steep washed out trail heading west that evolves into a concrete trail. Take the concrete path through Chatfield St. Park to the road heading west (Really not sure why they built it). Take the chatfield road west at the Y that leads to the park entrance (The main road wraps all the way around the park)... Take this road about a mile or two till the park road starts turn north (you will see a rough road heading south into the bird park place). Take this road till it dumps you out onto the trail that parallels Wadsworth and go south. This will pop you out just north of Waterton.

Other option is to take 85 to Titan... There recently built a medium that extends for about 90% of titan, not really that bad. PM me and I can send you Strava links as necessary.
    thanks
    Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles

mtbr member
    If I were you I wouldn't touch any of the Highline near Chatfield or Waterton. It's a goathead mine field. It is so loaded with them, not even worth it. That said, the highline just east of the rr tracks bordering Chatfield is fine. Ride that, drop in Chatfield, ride the path, dirt road, and that Chatfield Park Road (not busy) or the path (there is a little singletrack around that too). From there, head around the ponds on your way to Waterton. Many routes around the ponds to give you different times. I spend a ton of time during the winter all over here, so shoot me any questions.