The Notorious S.L.O

questions about riding at night.....

are you slower when riding with lights? I find my self about 4.5 min off my normal pace when riding at night, I seem to get hung up on rocks and waterbars that I clean without issue during daylight rides
    Do you ride with a bar and helmet light? I rode Monday with just a bar light, really saw the benefit of a light that follows you line of sight, rode with both last night, and lighting from two perspectives seemed to make approaching and cleaning obstacles a bit easier.

That said, my bar light died before getting back to the truck, and when my lights bounced off the work trailer at the lower lot a 3sis/alderfer, I looked to see if it was a ranger, and over the bars I went, all slo-mo, thinking the whole time going over just how stupid this crash was.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Go hard or go home
    I am slower at night, for sure...you basically have monocular vision, even with the best lighting, the lights are casting shadows that you are just not used to...our lap times at the 24 hours of Moab are 10 minutes or so per lap slower in the middle of the night than in the sun. They even spotlight the dangerous stuff, and you still can't get through it as fast...You can't react as fast, the shadows do weirdness, etc.

I run one of each. I have a bike mount NightRider and a helmet mount Nightrider - spendy, but its pretty much the way to go if you do it a lot, IMO...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

yes a bit slower, but that's OK

I use a NR Blowtorch h-bar mount. I love it. I also have an older NR D-Head Trip but don't use it very much. I find the light on the helmet makes my helmet slide forward, and I must constantly adjust it. Annoying. The combo is good & I'd use both for a race but for my normal night route the bar mount is fine.

Light freak
    On the downhills I find I am a little slower, but on the climbs I have found I am actually a little faster. I find myself concentrating on the "window" of light in front of me and I can't look up ahead as far to see how far I still have to go, which can sometimes play head games with me during the day. I like them on the bars and the helmet.

nice marmot.
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    On the downhills I find I am a little slower, but on the climbs I have found I am actually a little faster. I find myself concentrating on the "window" of light in front of me and I can't look up ahead as far to see how far I still have to go, which can sometimes play head games with me during the day. I like them on the bars and the helmet.
    i am faster on the climbs at night for the same reason, i believe. neat. i only ride with a helmet mounted niterider flight HID.
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

trail waggler

Yeah...

I'm about 12.6 seconds slower at night, give or take half an hour

Plus, I have almost 97% as much fun!!
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    I'm about 12.6 seconds slower at night, give or take half an hour

Plus, I have almost 97% as much fun!!
    Really?

I thought night riding was 130% as much fun....especially since you get to ride trails that are normally closed to bikes....Oh wait, that was a dream I had one night.

I find my depth perception gets clogged and I think, "lurch on that rock" just as I slam into it a half second too late. But after a few rides, I get into the groove.

However, there is no way I can ever maintain the speed at night as I can during the day, even if all the deer aren't in the way.

BTW, night riding is best on full moon days with no added light on the climbs and millions of watts on the descents.

Bad Andy
    On the downhills I find I am a little slower, but on the climbs I have found I am actually a little faster. I find myself concentrating on the "window" of light in front of me and I can't look up ahead as far to see how far I still have to go, which can sometimes play head games with me during the day.
    Ditto.

I just ride with a bar mounted cygolite nightrover ($68).
    Would like a better light and also a helmet mount, but am too cheap/poor (pick one).
    But I don't race or do any crazy ultra endurance stuff.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    Ditto.

I just ride with a bar mounted cygolite nightrover ($68).
    Would like a better light and also a helmet mount, but am too cheap/poor (pick one).
    But I don't race or do any crazy ultra endurance stuff.
    Cool, another cheap/poor (pick one), mtber, sometimes I feel like the only one.
    I have a 3 year old Performance viewpoint set-up, with a 10&20 watt handlebar rig, with a 10 watt helmet light. I normally run only the 10 on the bar, as running the combined 30 watt just eats thru the battery too fast. I spent $197.00 on the whole set up.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

Light freak
    Have you seen this thread for budget-minded night riders?

Pond Scum Homebrew

I have also been playing around with LED's in the last year. Check out this thread -

Amoeba - the simplest "light" form

I have a few extra Amoeba's available, if anyone is interested PM me. If you would like to see either one of these lights in person, let me know, I can meet up with you somewhere.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Night speeds should be close to your day speeds. Personally, I do not use a bar mount light. I typically run a helmet mounted HID or LED light. You tend to look where you need to go, so the light is always spot on to the area you are riding on/in. With a bar mount, there is times when your bar might be pointed one direction....and you are looking another. Take technical single track for example.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Have you seen this thread for budget-minded night riders?

Pond Scum Homebrew

I have also been playing around with LED's in the last year. Check out this thread -

Amoeba - the simplest "light" form

I have a few extra Amoeba's available, if anyone is interested PM me. If you would like to see either one of these lights in person, let me know, I can meet up with you somewhere.
    Scar, you have some serious skill in design and fabrication, nice work
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.