hikebike-bagpeak

question on Jenny Creek to Rollins Pass

1. When are the conditions optimal for riding Jenny Creek (ie: dry) ?
    2. Is Guinn Mountain trail a better trail to access Yankee Doodle Lake?

I was reading some old threads on this topic (riding between Eldora to Rollins) after my failed attempt to conqueor Corona via Jenny Creek on Tuesday. I started from the ski area. Followed the signs through Eldora, and when the trail appears to leave the ski area it crosses a bridge then splits. One way continues along the creek over a bridge and the other marked Jenny Creek goes right. This single-track route was muddy and very wet for as far as the eye can see. I turned around back to the car, drove to Tolland and rode up about one mile west of Rollins Pass via the Old Hill Route. If I took the Jenny Creek trail a little further would've I gotten out of the sludge? Perhaps it is just too early in the year. If this is just typical nast for this trail, I guess I'd like to know before I try to conqueor this route again.
    I was reading some interesting narrative on previous threads about Guinn Mt trail. to Rollins. My NG Map does not show that they connect, yet it has perked my interest.
    Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
    www.radtrek.com/blog.html

skillz to pay billz
    there's a reason why they call it jenny CREEK.

ride
    I bet Jenny Creek is probably about prime right now. If I'm thinking right, you ran into a bog area down in a meadow? That thing has water in it pretty much all summer long. From there you connect into Jenny Creek Rd. It is rocky and, in some places, the road and the creek are the same thing.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

lucky enough
    A little ways up Jenny Creek you can take a right fork on Guinn Mountain trail. It's steeper - which I prefer - and less wet and bouldery - which I'm less excited about. When you reach the Guinn Mtn hut jog to the North to pick up the pipeline trail that follows the ridge line. You can eventually take a left that drops you down to Yankee Doodle Lake. Or follow the ridge line North of the lake where you'll have to push your bike up the trail to connect with the road.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

hikebike-bagpeak
    Excellent. Thanx for the feedback. Will try again next week.

ride
    I can't guarantee that its going to be perfect, but it's worth a go. Oh, and pick up a Latitude 40 map of that area. Lat 40 is out of Ned and that is their backyard. I've been 'lost' in the woods many times and theirs are definitely the most accurate maps.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

hikebike-bagpeak
    Just got a reply on private property around Jenny from the NF District. Here's what they had to say:
    Jenny Creek trail is a winter-use only trail on the portion lying on private property around Eldora Mountain Resort - the trail is on private property for the first mile and a half or so. There is no formal right of way for public use of the trail, and the property owners allow winter use, however they do not allow public use on their property outside of the skiing/snowshoeing season. The trail enters the national forest up on the hill just south of the water tank, and it isn't surprising that it would be muddy this time of year, considering its elevation around 10,000 feet.
    Anyone have any thoughts?

Oh, So Interesting!
    Some years ago we rode there all the time, but the last few years the property owners has not allowed access to Eldora via West Mag or the main resort entrance as far as I know. I think you would be poaching if you ride thru Eldo to access Jenny Creek.

ride
    Definitely a poach if you access via Tennessee Mountain. I've never been hassled going in from Eldora, though. It's been a while since I've been up there, but I don't recall anything at the Eldora trailhead saying that it was winter use only. We've run into Eldora staff in the summer up there and they have always been cool. I believe it's the Toll family that owns all of that. Also from what I understand, Old Man Toll died a year or 2 ago and the rest of the family hasn't been so hell bent on busting trespassers. I'd ride it.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

ride
    Just in case anyone else checks this thread in the future
    Quote Originally Posted by fattirefreak
    Just got a reply on private property around Jenny from the NF District. Here's what they had to say:
    Jenny Creek trail is a winter-use only trail on the portion lying on private property around Eldora Mountain Resort - the trail is on private property for the first mile and a half or so. There is no formal right of way for public use of the trail, and the property owners allow winter use, however they do not allow public use on their property outside of the skiing/snowshoeing season. The trail enters the national forest up on the hill just south of the water tank, and it isn't surprising that it would be muddy this time of year, considering its elevation around 10,000 feet.
    Anyone have any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails question on Jenny Creek to Rollins Pass-p1012779.jpg  

Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO