mtbr member

question for ibmkidIII or anyone else using a talas

I am making the move to discs and notice that Fox voids the warranty if any rotor over 180mm is used. What are you running on yours. If memory serves me correctly it was bigger than 160mm.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    I am making the move to discs and notice that Fox voids the warranty if any rotor over 180mm is used. What are you running on yours. If memory serves me correctly it was bigger than 160mm.
    I have an 05 Talas, and for 05 they upped the allowed size of rotors. I've seen lots of people running 185s on Fox Forx with no problems, I think its just a CYA thing. I run 160mm on both front and rear, but have been thinking about moving to a 185 on the front as the extended downhills around here have heated my rotor up pretty substantially a time or two.

Perpetually single track
    I'm running the 160mm...wish I had bigger, but no biggie. That fork is going on my HT so I will soon be running a bigger disc on my Heckler, with my "new" Z1. If memory serves (and to agree with jdub) the 03/04's can't go over 180mm and the 05's can go up to 205mm/8inches. CYA for sure for Fox....story I heard is they intially didn't state a diameter to begin with, and then had some people rip the the wheel out of the dropouts using 8inche rotors....
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

mtbr member
    well I might just have to try the 185 and see. Famous last words I know but I just don't think a 160mm will give me the results I am after. Thanks for the info guys. It definitely helps the decision process.

Now Uploading
    From Fox Forx 2002 manual (all forks), wording unchanged on '03/'04 manuals including Talas:

Disc Brakes

Disk brakes with 160-180mm rotors can be used on FOX FORX. Do not use DH rotors larger than 180mm.

Reason for this according to Fox is QR dropouts = no rotors larger than 180mm (see misc. Internet articles on this and other gibberish...). They don't want the different pivot point (fulcrum), which is further out/lower with a larger rotor (bracket) to put more downward force on your tiny QR skewer and rip it out of your droupouts (heard of "lawyer tabs", and tightening your wheel when you put it on your bike?).

I run 185mm rotors on the front of my XC bike with a Fox Float, and on the front of my cyclocross (yeah, it's disk) bike with an aluminum rigid Cannondale fork. So maybe I fudged 5mm.

I wanted larger front rotors on two other bikes, so they have 20mm axles (and 203mm rotors). And I'm not sure you get any more modulation with bigger rotors, actually feels like less, but you do get more force applied with larger rotors (so you can squeeze your levers lighter, or use brakes that fade and work worse when hot). The speed that a smaller rotor travels through the brake pads is faster because the diameter of the rotor is smaller (per surface inch of braking surface on the rotor), but a 160mm rotor is turning exactly the same speed as a 203mm rotor, if all else is equal. So a bigger (and heavier) rotor will run cooler, and it's a bigger piece of metal, so will dissapate heat better.

So we really don't need rotors bigger than 160mm (and Hope makes 140s) on cross-country bikes, can justify them on DH bikes, but one day the sun will engulf the earth in a ball of fire and none of this will matter.

Cheers,

Dave
    Last edited by mtbdirteater; 12-27-2004 at 10:39 PM. Reason: I'm not spell checking all this...
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dave, all very valid points. I really want to maximize my braking power before we collide with the sun so I am debating will the 160s be enough. After braking my c-bone this summer due to not being able to stop fast enough(granted skill level probably played a very very small factor in the equation) with V-brakes. Obvoiusly 160s will be a huge improvement but I can't see how 5mm over the limit with 185s could bring catastrophic results. Of course I could always go 185 on the back and 160 on the front but that seems counterintuitive. Anyway thanks again for the info.

-Jason

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    one day the sun will engulf the earth in a ball of fire and none of this will matter.
    Empty promises.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Dave, all very valid points. I really want to maximize my braking power before we collide with the sun so I am debating will the 160s be enough. After braking my c-bone this summer due to not being able to stop fast enough(granted skill level probably played a very very small factor in the equation) with V-brakes. Obvoiusly 160s will be a huge improvement but I can't see how 5mm over the limit with 185s could bring catastrophic results. Of course I could always go 185 on the back and 160 on the front but that seems counterintuitive. Anyway thanks again for the info.

-Jason
    What do you weigh? I'd say if you're under about 170lbs, then 160mm would be enough. I am about 190 and I heat up 160s pretty good (and its winter out). I wouldn't go 160 up front and 185 on the back, as my 160 (Avid Disc) on the back locks up pretty easily and doesn't seem to be as prone to getting hot (don't use it as much either) as my XTR hydro on the front of my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    What do you weigh?
    about 155 or so. Vs have been fine until recently when I started noticing that they do in fact stop me just not in amount of time I want. I am sure that even moving to dual 160s would be a dramatic increase in power but if I could sneek 185s on then I would be down for that.

Now Uploading
    Of course I could always go 185 on the back and 160 on the front but that seems counterintuitive.
    Seems like a good setup the opposite way, go larger in front. 185f/160r is what I did on two bikes.

Cheers,

Dave
    Last edited by mtbdirteater; 12-28-2004 at 09:31 AM.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Empty promises.
    Life's like that, some days it just, uh, burns your arse.

Would be kind of cool though for a few seconds, but I hate that burning hair smell.

Dave

locked - time out
    Life's like that, some days it just, uh, burns your arse.

Would be kind of cool though for a few seconds, but I hate that burning hair smell.

Dave
    It's not so much the burning hair smell as it is the burning @ss hair smell.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    It's not so much the burning hair smell as it is the burning @ss hair smell.
    And I was really hoping that this thread wasn't going to come down to burning @ss hair...

Stand back

8" worked for me

And I was really hoping that this thread wasn't going to come down to burning @ss hair...
    I ran 203's on my Talas for a season or so with no problems, never pulled the front wheel out of the dropouts, never caught my a$$hair on fire, actually it was quite boring, but it stopped fast.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!