mtbr member

Question about Stone Temple 8 race

I was planning on taking the fam to Curt Gowdy this weekend for one last fall trip, but looks like they are having an 8 hour endurance race on Sat - the ST8. Curious if anyone has done it and what to expect. The course is only 14 miles, but seems to occupy most of the trails there.

I get the sense this is a smaller race and we can prob still go and ride - but if its going to be too much hassle, we'll look elsewhere. Thoughts?
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If it was me, I would avoid the area. I just don't like riding around a lot of other people, especially people racing. Though a smaller race, there will still be a lot of people. Curt Gowdy isn't really that big of an area in reality.

You could always drive the extra few miles over to the Happy Jack/Tie City area! Though I will say that now it's fall and the temps are cooler and leaves prettier, there's been a lot of hikers up there, and even worse, hikers who don't like to control their dogs whatsoever. If this doesn't worry you, then I'd say consider going up there!

SS Chimp
    The race is a bit bigger this year than years past with the inclusion of the High School MTB race series. I don't know the numbers registered but in years past it would not have been too bad to ride while the race was in progress. That said you should expect the racers to be a bit on the focused side given that it is a race. I also don't have any idea if they plan on any trail closures during the event.

You could sign the family up as a team!
    all single...all the time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    you could always drive the extra few miles over to the Happy Jack/Tie City area! Though I will say that now it's fall and the temps are cooler and leaves prettier, there's been a lot of hikers up there, and even worse, hikers who don't like to control their dogs whatsoever. If this doesn't worry you, then I'd say consider going up there!
    Yeah, I think we're going to find someplace else. I've been wanting to check out Happy Jack and Vedauwoo. Is there decent dispersed camping and riding in those areas? My kids are young, so looking for something off any busy roads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Yeah, I think we're going to find someplace else. I've been wanting to check out Happy Jack and Vedauwoo. Is there decent dispersed camping and riding in those areas? My kids are young, so looking for something off any busy roads.
    I think that Vedauwoo's campground is open, but Happy Jack and Tie City never opened this year. The riding is very dispersed and most of the trails are not single track, so it is nice in case you encounter others and need to pass, or just want to spread out. There's a good mix of trails for different skill levels as well, at least in Happy Jack/Tie City. I have never ridden around Vedauwoo, just hiked. Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I think that Vedauwoo's campground is open, but Happy Jack and Tie City never opened this year. The riding is very dispersed and most of the trails are not single track, so it is nice in case you encounter others and need to pass, or just want to spread out. There's a good mix of trails for different skill levels as well, at least in Happy Jack/Tie City. I have never ridden around Vedauwoo, just hiked. Hope that helps!
    Cool - thanks for the info.

contains quinine
    Yes and yes. Pretty much any all the gravel/2 track roads up there have campsites on them. Riding in Happy Jack is fun.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    Yes and yes. Pretty much any all the gravel/2 track roads up there have campsites on them. Riding in Happy Jack is fun.
    Cool! Any rough beta on where to camp? (Or what to ride?) Looks like several trailheads.

contains quinine
    Cool! Any rough beta on where to camp? (Or what to ride?) Looks like several trailheads.

Looks like the Yellow Pine campground is open. It's right there by that trailhead. for dispersed camping, I'd try along headquarters road, we've stayed in there before, you can ride from camp. You could try just onto the north side of the highway as well - any of those roads, telephone, etc, and be close for riding and away from traffic.

As far as trailheads, if you're trying to get the wife/kids out and walking around the Yellow Pine area is treed and flatish. Same for up near the rest area. The Enduro goes through the aspen trails, they're fun, as are the summit trails. There's a lot of stuff on that map i haven't seen before, where'd you find it?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the info. A few years ago, I bought this book from Lulu. It was about the only book I could find on SE Wyoming - I tend to buy guidebooks to plan the "next" trip. The map is a screenshot from the book.

mtbr member
    I forget which campground it is, the big campground at the main area of Vedawoo, there has been a lot of beetle kill and thinning, so the sites were open to the sun and dusty. So dusty my two kids were like two little Pigpens. Now, with the recent moisture and cooler temps, that might work out just fine for you. Just a heads up...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I always ride from either the Tie City trailhead or Summit trailhead.

Interesting map... I've never heard of the Goat Trail!

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    More mappage

It's a totally different riding experience between Curt Gowdy/ Vedauwoo/ Tie Siding. CG has by the best trails, Vedauwoo the best dispersed camping, and Tie Siding is an easier, more family oriented site.

slow
    The best trails are going to be in the Summit and Tie City areas.

There is some good dispersed camping just up the hill beyond aid station #4, where the single track leaves the dirt road. There is also some dispersed camping around aid station #5, with single track leading backward on the course. From there, you could ride over to Headquarters Hill and climb up to the stuff in the Summit area. On the north side of Happy Jack Road between aid stations #2 and #3, there are several spots, as well, with a mix of single track and dirt roads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question about Stone Temple 8 race-enduromap.jpg