Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pueblo This Weekend

3K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  jcospoco 
#1 ·
Hello-
I have never ridden down there, but given the majority of the front range is under snow, I was wondering if the trails will be ridable by this weekend? Thanks for helping a newb out.

#4 ·
It doesn't look good right now for this weekend. There is a lot of snow now that will take several days of high temps to melt, and there is more snow in the forecast. They are calling for snow on Thursday:madman: , Saturday:madman: , and Sunday:madman: :madman: . Keep your fingers crossed maybe the stars will align. Maybe making plans to ski next weekend is probably the best bet.

#8 ·
#11 ·
TomP said:
This is really cool if it's updated. But it has said the same thing for three days. Three inches of snow doesn't stay on the ground for three days in Pueblo. Even in February.

I won't go there if it's going to be muddy, but need real info to avoid that.
I update the SCTB Website, Trail Conditions, every morning at 6:00am, so the information is fairly accurate. Pueblo has continued to receive small snow additions this week that have kept the snow on the ground longer than usual. The ground is currently very wet and will take several hours of sun to dry. The canyons will take longer. So...check the date on the trail conditions, they should be accurate. xtreme-designs

#12 ·
xtreme-designs said:
I update the SCTB Website, Trail Conditions, every morning at 6:00am, so the information is fairly accurate. Pueblo has continued to receive small snow additions this week that have kept the snow on the ground longer than usual. The ground is currently very wet and will take several hours of sun to dry. The canyons will take longer. So...check the date on the trail conditions, they should be accurate. xtreme-designs
In case some one has not said it recently, "Thank you for the trail updates!" I have not made it down there to ride the Lake Pueblo trails yet, but it is certainly high on my list, and I appreciate being able to check conditions prior to every weekend...

#13 ·
Really appreciate the updates

xtreme-designs said:
Please realize that I appreciate the updates. And I know it can be quite a burden to keep up with that.

Kind of critical for me because I'm starting a new job next week which will end all my weekday freedom. I need a singletrack fix very badly before returning to the cubicle.

Also, I really really have no interest in riding in that adobe clay you have down there when it's wet.

Looks like Wednesday might work if there isn't any more appreciable moisture, you think?

#17 ·
Pueblo conditions.

The South Shore trails are drying quickly with the current conditions sunny and 50+.
Wednesday will probably be the transition day between mud and dry in the open areas.

Shaded areas and the lower trails may be wet for another day or two. The weekend is shaping up to be perfect.

#18 ·
Thursday rather than Wednesday?

xtreme-designs said:
...Wednesday will probably be the transition day between mud and dry in the open areas.

Shaded areas and the lower trails may be wet for another day or two. The weekend is shaping up to be perfect.
I was thinking of tomorrow (Wednesday) but it sounds like you would encourage Thursday instead? Do you think Thursday is a safe bet??

#21 ·
All of the connecting trails are still pretty muddy. Some of the actual canyons (freedride, bones, pinball, lower dog) are in good shape, but the upper connectors can be muddy. Anything that collects ground water or is somewhat shady is a mud pit.

Skull is icy, snowy, wet and muddy, and the upper connector into it is a very muddy.

Hooters is a mud pit, and pretty much un-rideable.

It still needs at least 2-3 more days of drying, since the ground is very saturated.

Unless you know your way around and understand the terrain (what collects water, etc) it is still pretty muddy in a lot of spots. Doing laps just up and down the dry canyons is about all there is, plus the double track on top seems to be dry? Still needs some time...darn!

#24 ·
Argh. Meh. Shist.

pastajet said:
...Unless you know your way around and understand the terrain (what collects water, etc) it is still pretty muddy in a lot of spots. Doing laps just up and down the dry canyons is about all there is, plus the double track on top seems to be dry? Still needs some time...darn!
Sounds pretty clear: Thursday will still be messy, today would be pretty much stupid muddy even if there's another nice clear day. Do you think Friday might be doable for the most part? Or not before The Weekend? Probably kind of depends on whether Thursday brings any precip, or even cloudy weather...

God help me, I need to ride some singletrack. If I could just do Outer Limits, Voodoo, and Cuatro Cinco it would be worth the 4 hour round trip. But I do not want to pack my bike with peanut butter mud. I fuggin' hate that.

Tell me what you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.