Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Pueblo Trail Conditions

Thinking about heading down to Pueblo later this week. The Southern Colorado Trail Builders was updated on 12/23/2011 and says:

Several inches of snow.
    Expect ...Snow , ice, and possible areas of mud.

The weather has been warmer but I am curious if any one knows how much snow they got from the last storm and the current trail conditions.

thanks!

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    I have not been down since last weeks storms. I'm betting there is still a good amount of snow covering the trails. Might be Ok if you get in and out before stuff starts thawing.

Hopefully some locals will chime in with more info

C

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I haven't looked at the forecast for next week, but I wouldn't expect to ride out there until next year. There is 8 inches of snow in my back yard right now, and I'm guessing there is just as much on the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Update

Just checked the update and it says the same thing. Its sunny and 50 in Boulder today. Are things actually melting down there? You think any trails along the Front Range will be decent by next weekend?

Respect the mustache
    Just got a phone call from my wife who is standing on Pedro's Point at the Res right now. Oh, she snow shoed out there on 6 or 7 inches of snow. If you wanna mtb out there it's gonna be a couple of weeks.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLEJ View Post
    Just got a phone call from my wife who is standing on Pedro's Point at the Res right now. Oh, she snow shoed out there on 6 or 7 inches of snow. If you wanna mtb out there it's gonna be a couple of weeks.
    ARRRRRRRGGH

mtbr member
    It's $hitty now!!!! It's going to get $hittier (MUD)soon!!!!! Becoming less $hitty sometime in January. Going to take at least two weeks of sunny dry days to fix this MESS.

Respect the mustache
    Hint- buy a headlight- the snow + mud freezes when the sun goes down

Thread Terrorist
    Boys, looks like we're gonna have to go further south this year. I'm thinking Vegas for a week, or three.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Your bike is incorrigible
    Surely it's decent by now. I want to go down at the end of this week.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    the locals haven't updated the trail conditions since the 26th on their website, may be getting close. We're thinking of heading down next week--hope for no more snow there.

Trail Conditions
    Our Shops in Fort Collins and Boulder www.fullcyclebikes.com -- doing the mountainbike thing since '82

Team Velveeta™

Hopefully Pee-eblah locals will respond

Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    the locals haven't updated the trail conditions since the 26th on their website, may be getting close. We're thinking of heading down next week--hope for no more snow there.

Trail Conditions
    I would be cautious about making assumptions. That storm just before Christmas roared across SE Colorado and dumped really quite a bit of snow. Pueblo got a fair dump. Salida got a little less, Monarch Pass/Ski Area got almost none.

That clay is a true nightmare when it's saturated. I've been out there when it was 99.4% melted out, but had one 50' muddy section to cross on Voodoo to get home. That one little bit of wet glop wound clay up into my frame and fork when I rode 15' into it hoping to get across. Thoroughly slimed, I stopped and got off, but even walking across the last bit of it left my shoes with several pounds of goo that wasn't even easy to scrape off when still wet.

I suspect that the conditions site may not have been updated for one or more of these reasons:

1) key person is out of town for the holidays and is just getting back or will be soon.
    2) key person or persons have turned their back on Lake Pueblo SP for "a while" because they know that it's hopeless to even look for a while. They are riding the road or doing other things for a while.

I wanna go too. I have the dirt jones really bad. Skinny tire riding is better than no riding, but I'm ripe for a bit of Outer Limits and Voodoo. However, I am not interested in caking my bike with adobe. Oddly enough, sounds like I could go over to Hartman in about the same amount of drive time and ride there. Weird year.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Tribe Member
    I have put in a call to LPSP today. Had to leave a message at the visitor center phone number. Hoping for a call back this week.

Thier website has the following:
    Trails - 12/27/2011
    All trails are currently open. To minimize trail damage, the natural surface (dirt) trails are closed during wet conditions. Right now the trails are dry and in great shape.

SCTrail builders has this:
    Trail Conditions: 12/26/2011
    Several inches of melting snow.

Who is telling the truth here?
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post
    ...website has the following:
    Trails - 12/27/2011
    All trails are currently open. To minimize trail damage, the natural surface (dirt) trails are closed during wet conditions. Right now the trails are dry and in great shape.

SCTrail builders has this:
    Trail Conditions: 12/26/2011
    Several inches of melting snow.

Who is telling the truth here?
    I think that report dated 12/27 has got to be total fiction. There was a dang good pile of snow on that whole region a couple days before Christmas, and it was not warm for quite a while after that. I was in Canon City during Christmas, not warm. Snow on the ground. Pueblo and points east got more snow than Canon.

Our Pee-eblah locals' mtb handles are:

kberkle
    DOUBLEJ
    xtreme-designs

The first two both posted about a week ago and said it was definitely crapalicious. Yes, it's been warm, could be things have really turned around. But I'm definitely going to wait to hear from one of the mountain bikers. The State Park Rangers are nice people, but I think they are going from warm break room to warm pickup truck and back these days, not hitting the Voodoo trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm hoping to get out Thursday evening/night for our regular group ride. If I make it out, I will post what the trail conditions are like. I haven't talked to anybody else down here about the trail conditions, but we'll see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp_krenz View Post
    I'm hoping to get out Thursday evening/night for our regular group ride. If I make it out, I will post what the trail conditions are like. I haven't talked to anybody else down here about the trail conditions, but we'll see.
    Please do! My wife & I have a kid pass from Grandparents & want to head down from Ft Collins Friday am, ride, go out that night & ride again sat morning. Trails here are on hold for a bit I'm afraid.

Stu

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The conditions have been updated:

Trail Conditions: 1/4/2012.

Still some snow and ice in the shded areas.
    Expect ...Possible areas of mud.

Not very descriptive. Would still like a first hand update.

Medicine Wheel Guy
    A buddy was down there Monday and said they ended up riding as far as they could, hitting mud, turning around, then doing the same thing on the next trail. Rode for about 90 minutes total. Didn't sound like much fun.

Beer
    Just got a reported to me that it is still pretty muddy out at the Pueblo res with still snow and ice to be melted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Suppose to be 64 in Pueblo today and 46 tomorrow. Man I want to ride my mountain bike.

Team Velveeta™

64 during the day won't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by co-dlk View Post
    Suppose to be 64 in Pueblo today and 46 tomorrow. Man I want to ride my mountain bike.
    One of the things I think people may not know about Pueblo weather--it does tend to get pretty warm during the days all year relative to elsewhere on the front range, but in winter it tends to get quite cold at night (more so than the typical front range location). Cold air drains down the Arkansas Valley. Salida tends to get super cold overnight then warm nicely during the day; likewise Canon City and Pueblo. So, say it gets down to between 0° and 15° F, then it warms to the 50's or 60's. The snow in places that are shaded most or all day in winter get a nice hard crust overnight. Maybe by afternoon they soften up enough to start the melt.

Here in Salida, if you look up at Tenderfoot (S Mountain) it looks dry. You ride up there and say to yourself "hooray! the trails are dry!" then you ride around a corner into a north-facing section and you hit snow/mud.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Decided not to try it today, and it sounds like I made the right decision. The days need to get longer so we can have more sun to melt the snow.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hrm... guessing should just suck it up and head to moab for the weekend- doesn't sound like it will be dried out enough by Saturday even with this crazy warm weather...

Respect the mustache
    Just returned from a 4 hour loop ride around Pueblo, and yes don't try riding at the lake for another week or so. Saw a few folks who couldn't resist the dirt, they were returning to the parking lot caked in mud. All the hills and shadows out there create some huge pockets of mud, give it another week. The area behind Pueblo Motorsports Park on the other hand is very dry. This is where us Puebloans rode before the trails got built at the lake. If you like whoopty-do's and don't mind all the piles of trash it is a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'll echo what DoubleJ said. We road the paved trail for the group ride tonight, because the trails were too wet. We ran into a couple of shaded areas on the paved trails that still had ice on them. I wouldn't expect that the trails will be ride-able until next weekend if we don't get any moisture this weekend. If we get moisture this weekend, then who knows.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast