Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: pueblo thorns??

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: surly357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    408

    pueblo thorns??

    so, do the trails down there have tons of thorns like a lot of lower elevation front range areas?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    13

    Nah

    Nah, I rode there yesterday, but there are some prickly pear cacti with super-long needles.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Grizzattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    315
    There are a few goatheads (aka puncturevine) but I would not say an overabundance, at least currently. Pretty typical I would say.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sooner518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,602
    i didnt notice an overabundance but I did get a flat about 10 minutes into my ride. It was my fault as I took a corner too fast and rode off the trail for a few feet. Found a big cactus needle about 5 minutes later.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518
    i didnt notice an overabundance but I did get a flat about 10 minutes into my ride. It was my fault as I took a corner too fast and rode off the trail for a few feet. Found a big cactus needle about 5 minutes later.
    Hmmmm... all the more reason to ride in control and stay on the trail!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: surly357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    408

    thanks...

    ... for the input. goatheads were my main concern, they're thick here in longmont.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryguy79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    968
    just make sure you're running enough psi so you don't pinch flat like my buddy did out there yesterday. lots of sharp edged rocks.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    66
    Between this weekend and last weekend our group has had six flats while riding, plus at least three more flats by the time we unloaded the bikes at home. All thorns. Need tubeless for riding down there.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sooner518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwaskier
    Between this weekend and last weekend our group has had six flats while riding, plus at least three more flats by the time we unloaded the bikes at home. All thorns. Need tubeless for riding down there.
    How would tubeless stop thorns?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    183
    People, I ride here year round and have ridden here for 17 years. I occasionally get flats, haven't had one this season (probably just cursed myself) . I stay on the trails, don't cut corners, or ride off the trail, etc. Yes, I've cut my tires on the shale here. If the TRAILS are ridden and not the sides , punctures from cactus and goatheads are minimal.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    306
    Last year I had a ride where I got a bunch of goatheads in my tires; this year I have ridden there many times with no problems. I would say don't worry about it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    412
    i got a few this saturday but i was runnning tubless with stans so it sealed right up. I love stans.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hairylegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    483

    Stan's is good stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518
    How would tubeless stop thorns?
    They don't, but sealant does. Check this out-
    http://www.notubes.com/moviedemo.php

    I was skeptical after having no luck with sealant-filled tubes, but in the four years that I've ridden tubeless, I've never (knock on wood) had a flat on the trail. Just have to refresh the sealant every 5 months or so.

  14. #14
    We can rebuild him
    Reputation: Ozzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    82

    no flats

    There are very few goathead plants on the single track dirt trails. The majority of flats I have received in the past 17 years have been from cactus thorns. I never put any sealant in my tubes when I ride the dirt because I am a weignt weenie "bad knees, hip & shoulder" and I have X-rays to prove it. In the past few years the trails have become more distinct and the club has been able to clear most of the cactus from the trails. If you stay on the established trails and don't ride off the sides you probably won't have any flats. Last year there were a few goathead plants around the kiosk so I don't ride through it, I hit the trail on the side. We may try to spray or pull the plants this spring. You will find more stickers on the paved trail system, when I ride that system I avoid sections that I know have plants along side or use slime. If you hit the shale just right it will slice your tire like a knife, I have replaced about five tires over the past 17 years because of this. Stay on the trails!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ozzie; 03-10-2008 at 09:34 PM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    183
    Dude, I knew you were jacked up, but that is f 'n ridiculous

  16. #16
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Holy crap, Ozzie. Was Fastenal having a inventory reduction sale?
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    47
    Hey Ozzie, It looks like that right knee has a lift kit installed. I thought you seemed taller.

    Thanks, Now I have the xray image to visualize when decending 'Broken Hip' trail.

  18. #18
    mtbmike
    Reputation: mtbmike1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    304

    State Park Campground is a minefield

    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzattack
    There are a few goatheads (aka puncturevine) but I would not say an overabundance, at least currently. Pretty typical I would say.
    I did a 3 day weekend at Pueblo State Park last year and stayed in the campground. We had a half dozen flats trying to get out of the campground and into the trail system.

    Once you are out on the trail, it isn't an issue. But yes, goatheads are out there.
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

    The world is run by those that show up....

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie
    There are very few goathead plants on the single track dirt trails. The majority of flats I have received in the past 17 years have been from cactus thorns. I never put any sealant in my tubes when I ride the dirt because I am a weignt weenie "bad knees, hip & shoulder" and I have X-rays to prove it. In the past few years the trails have become more distinct and the club has been able to clear most of the cactus from the trails. If you stay on the established trails and don't ride off the sides you probably won't have any flats. Last year there were a few goathead plants around the kiosk so I don't ride through it, I hit the trail on the side. We may try to spray or pull the plants this spring. You will find more stickers on the paved trail system, when I ride that system I avoid sections that I know have plants along side or use slime. If you hit the shale just right it will slice your tire like a knife, I have replaced about five tires over the past 17 years because of this. Stay on the trails!
    I am weight weenie as well. That why i run stans and tubless setup. You can get any lighter than that and you never know the thorns are there.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5
    I think Ozzie has broken a bone on just about every trail out there. Let's just say he likes to get up close and personal with his surroundings. I've nursed him back to health every time.

  21. #21
    We can rebuild him
    Reputation: Ozzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    82

    goat heads

    I have been reading threads about goat-heads in Pueblo. I thought I would update this one so nervous Nellie's can read all the info. we have recommended. There is a lot of cactus on the side of the trails, we had to remove quite a bit when we built them. So stay on the trails, when encountering other traffic just step off to the side. If you ride around your not only widening the trails you may be picking up thorns. I don't want to jinx myself but in 20 rides this year 0 flats. Now if I get one I am going to blame all of you! My Friends used stans sealant in the past but quit and I am quite upset about it. It was a blast watching them spray that stuff all over the place when the shale would slice their tires. Then they would owe me big time when I gave them my spare tube. It does work for most thorns though.

  22. #22
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    IMO, keep the cactus on the sides of the trail. It is quite possibly the best preventative trail widening feature ever. 100% el natural.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  23. #23
    We can rebuild him
    Reputation: Ozzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    82
    Now you are catching on, we need your kind for trail work. When some mtbr cut the trail someone has been known to transplant cactus plants on their path. That rascally rabbit! If you ride off the trails, bring tubes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •