mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Pueblo State Park Management Plan: Comments Due Today

I received the following note from IMBA Rocky Mountain News:

Pueblo State Park Trails Need Your Support
    Lake Pueblo State Park in Pueblo, CO, is participating in a public scoping process regarding a proposed revision to the park's 30-year-old resource management plan. We encourage you to submit a comment by Feb. 21 letting the park know that mountain bikers use and enjoy its trails. Very few of the park’s singletrack trails are authorized, and while that does not mean they are illegal, it does mean that they don't enjoy the same protections as official system trails, and an environmental assessment could alter the existing trail system. A large show of support could help ensure that future access is preserved.
    Today is the deadline to fill out a comment card. Management Unit 4 covers the South Shore trails. Please take 5 minutes to fill out a card. These are great trails, especially this time of year. It is usually a good 10 degrees warmer down there. It is also unique desert / sage riding for our area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Oh, here is a link:

Management Plan | Colorado Parks and Wildlife

I had no idea all the single track are considered "unauthorized social trails".

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pcoady View Post
    Oh, here is a link:

Management Plan | Colorado Parks and Wildlife

I had no idea all the single track are considered "unauthorized social trails".
    Yeah, that's pretty funny.

Especially when they advertise the trails on their website.

"The South Shore Trails are popular for hikers, bikers and equestrians alike. For more information on this trail system, visit the Southern Colorado Trail Builders (SCTB) club at Southern Colorado Trail Builders. "

Respect the mustache
    My understanding is that the trail building at the lake is on a build now get approved later philosophy.

Grams Light Bikes
    Hard to tell who owns the land? Might be managed by the State and owned by Bureau of Reclamation (or the other way around). The State approved the trails, but they aren't systematized in the Feds viewpoint. Sort of a gray area I assume?

mtbr member
    Is this unofficial status the reason the races went away? Or something else?

I liked racing down there, great camping, easy riding, long trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I heard one of the races exceeded the number of riders on the permit. But, this is 2nd hand. Too bad, fun place for a race.

Did anyone attend the meeting? A short summary would be great. Love the trails down there.

mtbr member
    Damnit. I didn't see this until today. In my opinion Pueblo is the best trail system on the Front Range. I have nothing but good things to say about the trails, SCTB and the park service.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The Pueblo State Park trails are designated as unauthorized because when the last park plan was released in 1981, the current trails were not yet developed. The Park is generally pleased with the trails, volunteer maintenance, and additional user fees generated.

The Park is now looking to update the overall park plan and had asked for public input to guide the process. Input was accepted until Feb 21st. The park will now review the input and generate a new, updated plan. They will present the new overall plan to the public around September. The Park will then allow another 30 day comment period with the formal Park Plan expected around the first of the year.

The Southern Colorado Cyclists Club (SCTB) has recommended the Park approve and authorize all existing trails, plus allow the construction of the Wild West trail which has been GPS'ed as a 13 mile loop west of the Voodoo Trail.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme-designs View Post
    The Pueblo State Park trails are designated as unauthorized because when the last park plan was released in 1981, the current trails were not yet developed. The Park is generally pleased with the trails, volunteer maintenance, and additional user fees generated.

The Park is now looking to update the overall park plan and had asked for public input to guide the process. Input was accepted until Feb 21st. The park will now review the input and generate a new, updated plan. They will present the new overall plan to the public around September. The Park will then allow another 30 day comment period with the formal Park Plan expected around the first of the year.

The Southern Colorado Cyclists Club (SCTB) has recommended the Park approve and authorize all existing trails, plus allow the construction of the Wild West trail which has been GPS'ed as a 13 mile loop west of the Voodoo Trail.

I sent my comment card in! Thanks for the info Eric. As always, we appreciate all the work you and SCTB do down there. Now get rid of those tumbleweeds, I am getting tired of them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    I sent my comment card in! Thanks for the info Eric. As always, we appreciate all the work you and SCTB do down there. Now get rid of those tumbleweeds, I am getting tired of them.
    As it turns out, the Pueblo desert climate is best when left as a desert. The concrete bridge over the Voodoo creek crossing we spent a year approving and moving into position, was wiped out 4 weeks after its completion by a massive flash flood. We had positioned six 4400 pound concrete blocks across the creek with a wooden structure over the top. 8 inches of rain 30 miles to the west of the park trashed the entire structure and sent it close to a mile downstream.

Then, a very wet August hatched the largest tumbleweed population we have ever seen. Countless hours have been spent moving the weeds around, however every wind gust moves them back. Understandably, the Park is not very receptive to burning. Many congested areas now have short bypass trails around the worst of the tumbleweeds.

The club will keep working on the weed issue. However, now the typical dry, hot, dusty conditions don't seem so bad.