Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Climbs = necessary evil

Pueblo Reservoir Trails

I'm looking for a longer XC ride this weekend in prep for the 18 Hrs of Fruita. I've never ridden Pueblo Reservoir before but it looks like I could get in a 35 mile ride if I ride South Shore --> Inner Limits --> Outer Limits --> Voodoo Loop and then back. http://www.lakepueblotrails.org/Arch..._Trail_Map.pdf

Not having ridden this area and seeing that they are classified as "intermediate" trails, but look pretty casual in the photos, any idea how long this loop might take? I'm not a speedy guy nor a snail. The 15 mile loop at Marshall Mesa takes me about 90 minutes and the 8.5 mile Mt Carbon loop at Bear Creek Lake Park takes me about 40-45 minutes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    EDIT- Ok, I removed all the incorrect mathmatical talk - good to be reminded to be accurate and not set false expectations.

Totally depends on if you plan to stop for the view, a safety break, weekend crowds, or whatever but the trails are pretty mellow and fast with only a few easy/moderate climbs.
    Last edited by teleken; 04-18-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    I'm looking for a longer XC ride this weekend in prep for the 18 Hrs of Fruita. I've never ridden Pueblo Reservoir before but it looks like I could get in a 35 mile ride if I ride South Shore --> Inner Limits --> Outer Limits --> Voodoo Loop and then back. http://www.lakepueblotrails.org/Arch..._Trail_Map.pdf

Not having ridden this area and seeing that they are classified as "intermediate" trails, but look pretty casual in the photos, any idea how long this loop might take? I'm not a speedy guy nor a snail. The 15 mile loop at Marshall Mesa takes me about 90 minutes and the 8.5 mile Mt Carbon loop at Bear Creek Lake Park takes me about 40-45 minutes.
    If you do South Shore/Driftwood/Inner/Outer/Voodoo (the full trail that goes by the highway, not the detour cutting straight across)/Antelope/Waterfall/Creekside/Southshore it's about 29.657 miles and I've been able to do it in just under 3 hours when never putting a foot down. Yes, I know this little routine very well because I used Pueblo EXTENSIVELY when training for the Old Pueblo 24 Hour race that was mid-February. If you keep on the gas it's really pretty good training because you're constantly needing to shed speed to get around the corners then accelerate back out. Not like lots of more mountainous stuff where you are really working while you're climbing, then your heart rate goes to an idle while you're descending. Pueblo is more like road riding to me, pretty constant work.

If you want a 35 mile ride, I'd say do something more like Duke/Cuatro Sinko/Driftwood/Inner-Outer/Voodoo/Outer-Inner/South Shore/Stonehenge/Roller Coaster/Skull Canyon/Southshore. That could even be around 40, and only retracing your outbound route significantly by riding Inner and Outer a second time. Inner and Outer feel quite a bit different when ridden opposite directions.

Don't take any flimsy tires out there. In my last two visits I cut tires each time. One was the sidewall of a Specialized Captain Control (not terribly flimsy) and then the next weekend I cut through the center of the tread on a Racing Ralph. On another visit earlier in the winter my friend cut a tire. The shale rock can be pretty sharp, and if you're drifting the corners like I enjoy doing your chance of ruining a tire is fairly high (in my experience).
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken View Post
    When I ride only the Voodoo Loop from the marina trailhead (averaging 8 mph- Southshore> Route 96> Voodoo Loop> Antelope>Driftwood>Stonehenge>Duke>Conduit>Marina TH= apprx 21 miles) it's usually a 90 minute ride time.
    Ammm, no.

8mph average for 21 miles would be just over 2 1/2 hours. 90 minutes would be an average speed of 14mph.

It's not physically possible to average 8 mph ride time and cover 21 miles. In case the rate*time=distance equation doesn't convince you, look at it this way:

8mph means 8 miles each hour, right?
    So, at 8mph, you'll cover 8 miles in the first hour.
    8+8= 16, so after 2 hours, you'll have covered 16 miles
    8+8+4 = 20, so after 2 1/2 hours you'll have covered 20 miles. Still one more mile to go, so a few more minutes for that.

Now, if an hour is 60 minutes, we're already at 150 minutes for the 20 miles, plus the last mile.

How in the heck do you get 90 minutes for 21 miles???? Time machine?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Ammm, no.

8mph average for 21 miles would be just over 2 1/2 hours. 90 minutes would be an average speed of 14mph.

It's not physically possible to average 8 mph ride time and cover 21 miles. In case the rate*time=distance equation doesn't convince you, look at it this way:

8mph means 8 miles each hour, right?
    So, at 8mph, you'll cover 8 miles in the first hour.
    8+8= 16, so after 2 hours, you'll have covered 16 miles
    8+8+4 = 20, so after 2 1/2 hours you'll have covered 20 miles. Still one more mile to go, so a few more minutes for that.

Now, if an hour is 60 minutes, we're already at 150 minutes for the 20 miles, plus the last mile.

How in the heck do you get 90 minutes for 21 miles???? Time machine?

Off topic: I see that and you are right, but let's not let this derail the thread. I'm looking for advice, not grading math homework.

On topic: Thanks for the advice so far and open to more on the trails and times.

Tom - I have the snakeskin Nobby Nics, so hopefully they'll hold up to the shale.

mtbr member
    Well, it's kind of on topic. If you go down there expecting to do that loop in 90 minutes, it just wouldn't work!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Well, it's kind of on topic. If you go down there expecting to do that loop in 90 minutes, it just wouldn't work!
    Yeah, there's truth to that...

To rogerfromco, I'm not a speedy guy nor a snail also. I find that it's a decent amount of work to maintain an 11 mph average out on Inner-Outer-Voodoo. The day I cut my Captain Control tire, it was about two or three weeks after my 24 solo. Fully recovered and feeling some power from the fitness gained there, I was half way through Voodoo and was at about a 12.something average mph. I was enjoying the rock and roll lifestyle and looking to improve on my best ever time for that course described. Then cut the sidewall and had to tippy toe back being careful because I only had one tube, and patches won't stick to a tube that's been put in a wet stan's tire.

So, for a not speedy nor snail, riding those XC-oriented trails (not the canyons like Skull, Broken Hip, etc) figure an 11-12 mph average if you're not lollygagging.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Who cares about the math, is Pueblo getting snow? Are trails open?

We got 12inches overnight in Steamboat, the ski mountain is closed and its still snowing. I want dirt!

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Who cares about the math, is Pueblo getting snow?
    Looks like rain: Campus Webcams > Colorado State University-Pueblo

Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Are trails open?
    Lake Pueblo Trails Current Conditions

mtbr member
    Pueblo will most likely be slammed this weekend if it stays cold enough the rest of the week.

Tribe Member
    We just rolled Pueblo on Saturday. We did around 29 miles and ride time was around 3.5 hours or so. Not setting the world on fire but just getting in some great miles. I will second TomP about tires. I now only ride some older Smoke/Dart combos down there. I had gone through 3 Maxxis eXc tires and not willing to spend the money any longer. We did Duke, both Rodeos, Cuatro Sinko, Pedros, Driftwood, Route 96, Voodoo, Pronghorn, Waterfall, Rock Canyon, Stonehenge, Southshore, Conduit back to the parking lot at the bottom of the dam. Conditions were great last weekend....this weekend maybe not so much. This is not the place you want to ride when it's wet.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Here in Pueblo West, had a slow drizzly rain this morning followed by about a 1/2" snow on the ground now. Trails may be kind of iffy this weekend, as weather is expected to warm up on Friday.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Man this weather is killing me! I drove through the Springs, Salida, over Monarch Pass and into Lake City...had snow most of the way. This was going over Monarch today...

I saw the weather radar with moisture in Pueblo too and now read this. Ughhh. Looks like I might just be doing intervals on Lookout Mtn this weekend, but still holding out a little hope for Pueblo.

Thanks for all the feedback and trail route options everyone. Looking at this 10-12 mph seems to be a reasonable guesstimate for pace.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertred View Post
    Here in Pueblo West, had a slow drizzly rain this morning followed by about a 1/2" snow on the ground now. Trails may be kind of iffy this weekend, as weather is expected to warm up on Friday.
    Thanks for the updates. Hopefully we'll get some sun in the next few days!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    For sure no Racing Ralph's at Pueblo!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The best tires I've found for out there are the Specialized Armadillo Elites. I run those until the knobs fall off or the side wall gets cut. It usually takes a little over three months of heavy riding out there to wear them out. Anything thing else has about a 3 ride lifespan. They weigh a ton, but so do I.

I'm not sure what the trails are going to be like, most of the snow has melted in my yard in PW. So they may be dry by Sunday.

mtbr member

It's going to be a skiing weekend. Good luck with your race.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Don't take any flimsy tires out there. In my last two visits I cut tires each time. One was the sidewall of a Specialized Captain Control (not terribly flimsy) and then the next weekend I cut through the center of the tread on a Racing Ralph. On another visit earlier in the winter my friend cut a tire. The shale rock can be pretty sharp, and if you're drifting the corners like I enjoy doing your chance of ruining a tire is fairly high (in my experience).
    Thank you so much for the heads up on the shale! I took a tube as backup and ended up needing it. I run Nobby Nics with Stan's and the shale cut though the center of my tire too (not sidewall) and was severe enough the Stan's would not seal it.

It was a fun ride and I ended up doing 27 miles but not my intended route. When I got out to Voodoo, somehow I missed a trail marker and ended up cutting that loop short, so I retraced my tracks on Inner/Outer again on the way back to add more mileage. I got the flat on Outer and still had 10-12 miles to get back to the truck, so I slowed down a bit to pick my lines more carefully since I had used the only tube I had.

Also, thanks for the suggestion on Waterfall - that was a great little section.

Twin Six METAL Team

Pueblo Reservoir Trails

Uh, yea. The shale is no joke. Had to cut my ride short yesterday to pop by the ER for 7 stitches in my knee... Great conditions yesterday though!

Climbs = necessary evil
    Yikes Chris - Sounds like I made out WAY better than you. I hope you heal quickly.

This morning in prepping for a local ride I looked at my tires again and the Stan's was working hard yesterday! I have 9 punctures in the front tire that sealed and 15 in the rear, one of which wouldn't seal. That was an expensive trip, but at least I don't have an ER bill.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Damn man...I actually might have gotten off cheaper! My ER bill (with meds) was only $35. MTB tires would've probably cost even more! Good news...the doc said I can get back on the bike within 48 hours! He added two extra stitches so that it'd stand up to riding.

FasCat Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by givati View Post
    For sure no Racing Ralph's at Pueblo!
    I did 53 miles there earlier today with Ralph's (no snakeskin) and made it out ok...
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Damn man...I actually might have gotten off cheaper! My ER bill (with meds) was only $35. MTB tires would've probably cost even more! Good news...the doc said I can get back on the bike within 48 hours! He added two extra stitches so that it'd stand up to riding.
    Go figure - an ER bill less than bike tires!

insert sarcasm here
    Go figure - an ER bill less than bike tires!
    Hah, truth! Last time I was at Pueblo I ended up with two broken wrists...haven't added up the medical bills though!
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Rode Pueblo last Saturday, good god that place is fun. I basically just went up around the back side of the South Shore and rode all the gnarly descents. Short as they may be they are fun as heck. I can see why you'd want some strong tires out there. I was running 2.4 Ardents and had no issues, the EXO sidewalls are pretty durable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast