locked - time out

Psstt...hey buddy, got any crank?

More specifically, anything of the FR/ DH or Tubular Cromo variety - preferrably with a bottom bracket and bash guard perhaps?

A quick word to the wise - old style (98) XT cranks are woefully insufficient for any type of urban / park riding.

Stand back

what happened to them?

Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    More specifically, anything of the FR/ DH or Tubular Cromo variety - preferrably with a bottom bracket and bash guard perhaps?

A quick word to the wise - old style (98) XT cranks are woefully insufficient for any type of urban / park riding.
    Did you break an arm, or was it the bb? i was hoping my old lx cranks would work for awhile on the steelhead...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Did you break an arm, or was it the bb? i was hoping my old lx cranks would work for awhile on the steelhead...
    It appears that something has twisted, though I haven't looked closely enough yet to determine exactly what. All I know at this point is that I do not trust them enough to continue riding them, given that I have only put 2 hours on the bike and they were fine when I put them on. They felt way flexy too after riding RF North Shores and tubular cromos for the last couple of years.

Cynical Bystander
    It appears that something has twisted, though I haven't looked closely enough yet to determine exactly what. All I know at this point is that I do not trust them enough to continue riding them, given that I have only put 2 hours on the bike and they were fine when I put them on. They felt way flexy too after riding RF North Shores and tubular cromos for the last couple of years.
    You sure its the cranks flexing josh? When I had my On-One Gimp (also a 4130 steel frame) I thought my cranks were flexing but upon closer investigation it was the entire lower area of the frame that was flexing. Steel frames seem to be a lot flexier, especially hardtails.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    You sure its the cranks flexing josh? When I had my On-One Gimp (also a 4130 steel frame) I thought my cranks were flexing but upon closer investigation it was the entire lower area of the frame that was flexing. Steel frames seem to be a lot flexier, especially hardtails.
    Yeah - I've had quite a few steel frames before this and like the ride of steel - but this is different entirely. You can actually feel that something is not quite right when sitting on the bike pedaling along.

Hairshirt Rider
    Yeah - I've had quite a few steel frames before this and like the ride of steel - but this is different entirely. You can actually feel that something is not quite right when sitting on the bike pedaling along.
    Did you rule out the pedal? Not sure about the '98 stuff, but most of the square taper XT cranks were forged and not prone to bending. But then again, if you're used to beating on burlier stuff . . . .

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yo - I've got a Race Face crankset with bashguard... and a BB. I'm pretty sure it's old school square taper. Email me at dsr80304 at hotmail dot com if interested. I'll double check when I get home. S

screw road bikes
    PM'ed ya singletrack......i've got a BB(splined like the cranks) too and an MRP if you're interested

Lemme know.
    Last edited by theforsakencheezit; 01-13-2005 at 05:07 PM.
    Full Tilt Cyclery
    GT Bicycles
    Oakley
    Sram and Co.
    Fox
    Go Fast
    MAXXIS

I

screw road bikes
    Also, where are you located?
    Full Tilt Cyclery
    GT Bicycles
    Oakley
    Sram and Co.
    Fox
    Go Fast
    MAXXIS

I

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by theforsakencheezit
    Also, where are you located?
    Littleton - Roxborough

screw road bikes
    Littleton - Roxborough

me too!
    Full Tilt Cyclery
    GT Bicycles
    Oakley
    Sram and Co.
    Fox
    Go Fast
    MAXXIS

I

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by theforsakencheezit
    me too!
    Sweeeeeeeet - Just PM'd you my #

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Wow, I live in Roxborough too!
    If either of you are interested in hooking up for a ride sometime let me know.

Brent

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeandski
    Wow, I live in Roxborough too!
    If either of you are interested in hooking up for a ride sometime let me know.

Brent
    Sounds cool - what do you ride? I only ask because I've got a few guys who live down the street who appear to be pretty avid riders - one rides a Fuel and the other rides a Bullit and an FR hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Sounds cool - what do you ride? I only ask because I've got a few guys who live down the street who appear to be pretty avid riders - one rides a Fuel and the other rides a Bullit and an FR hardtail.
    Hah!

That guy with the Bullit and HT is me! Do you have the 4runner with the PlanetX sticker on it? You live on Dusk street right? I'm on the corner of Dusk way and Dusk street.

I just sold my Bullit. I'm getting a new V10!

locked - time out
    Hah!

That guy with the Bullit and HT is me! Do you have the 4runner with the PlanetX sticker on it? You live on Dusk street right? I'm on the corner of Dusk way and Dusk street.

I just sold my Bullit. I'm getting a new V10!
    That is funny - that's me with the 4Runner. I've seen you riding around several times and thought about seeing if you had any interest in going out for a ride sometime. There are a couple of other guys on here who also live in the area (well, closer to Chatfield - but very nearby) - I'm planning on hitting the ESPN skatepark tommorrow night if you're able - I'll probably post a thread on here in the AM...

Josh

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    That is funny - that's me with the 4Runner. I've seen you riding around several times and thought about seeing if you had any interest in going out for a ride sometime. There are a couple of other guys on here who also live in the area (well, closer to Chatfield - but very nearby) - I'm planning on hitting the ESPN skatepark tommorrow night if you're able - I'll probably post a thread on here in the AM...

Josh

Cool! I would definitely like to hook up for some riding! I can't make to the skatepark tonight though, thanks for the offer. I really need to get out and try some skatepark riding but I doubt there's much I can do at those places besides slamming my body to the ground!
    I bought a hardtail to give me something to do in the winter and for improving my riding overall, dirtjumps, street, skatepark. I've got a long way to go.

I'm glad I checked out this forum, it seems better than the other one for hooking up on rides and whatnot. Anyway I'll be checking in here from now on so I'm sure we will meet up for a ride soon enough. I'm up for about anything but road only because I don't have a road bike but I might be getting one soon.

Thanks
    Brent

Cynical Bystander
    Cool! I would definitely like to hook up for some riding! I can't make to the skatepark tonight though, thanks for the offer. I really need to get out and try some skatepark riding but I doubt there's much I can do at those places besides slamming my body to the ground!
    I bought a hardtail to give me something to do in the winter and for improving my riding overall, dirtjumps, street, skatepark. I've got a long way to go.

I'm glad I checked out this forum, it seems better than the other one for hooking up on rides and whatnot. Anyway I'll be checking in here from now on so I'm sure we will meet up for a ride soon enough. I'm up for about anything but road only because I don't have a road bike but I might be getting one soon.

Thanks
    Brent
    Majority of the people that lurk on this specific board are from ColoSpgs, Denver area, Boulder and Fort Collins so its pretty easy to arrange a ride of some sort.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.