Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005

PSA: Poison Ivy season has started!

Since I escaped last season with only one poison ivy incident, it's back with a vengeance... that probably explains all the rain...

Anyway, don't touch this stuff. Taken today, just below the lowest footbridge on Chimney Gulch, but there are long stretches where it is hanging alongside the trail on both Chimney and Apex, so watch yourself:

Wider shot:

not actually bad :)
    I had a TERRIBLE case of it last year.
    If anyone gets it, go to the doctor RIGHT AWAY. They can get you fixed up. It's not worth waiting it out to see if it gets worse or not (trust me on this one).
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    As an immigrant from Texas I've had a long running relationship with poison ivy. Zanfel has worked wonders for me. It saved me from the bad bout I had across the side of my face two weeks before my wedding.

mtbr member
    Not allergic, score!

Moosehead
    whoa, thanks for the heads up. never heard about it in colorado, let alone along the front four trails.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    whoa, thanks for the heads up. never heard about it in colorado, let alone along the front four trails.
    You'll see it in brushy areas up till about 8000' + - depending on local climate and soil. I'd guess the rainy spring is going to be good for a lot of growing things, including poision ivy.

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by brettf
    Since I escaped last season with only one poison ivy incident, it's back with a vengeance... that probably explains all the rain...
    hmmmmm....sounds like maybe the poison ivy is causing all this rain???? If so, then down with this scourge of a plant! DOWN I say.....

Hey, doesn't Jeffco want to sanitize the trails of poison ivy -- someone should suggest that.....
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    Not allergic, score!
    You're a lucky guy! Though stay away - I hear that the more you're exposed, the more likely it becomes that you'll develop the allergy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yetigirl
    Hey, doesn't Jeffco want to sanitize the trails of poison ivy -- someone should suggest that.....
    Remind me not to volunteer for that trail crew!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetigirl
    hmmmmm....sounds like maybe the poison ivy is causing all this rain???? If so, then down with this scourge of a plant! DOWN I say.....

Actually, here's an idea: You want folks to stay on the trail? Keep single track single? Plant poison ivy along the sides of the trails. Ride off the trail, pay the consequences. Sounds pretty good, huh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What? Were you yielding to up hill traffic? That'll learn ya.

Msurk

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I did a hike on the North Foothills Trail (north of Boulder) checking out the burned area with a bunch of native plant peeps and they had to point out this monster patch of Poison Ivy to me. I've never had an allergic case and really didn't know what it looked like. For those you who are allergic, just imagine belly flopping buck nekkid into this patch. Wait, don't imagine that.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Stand back
    You sure the stuff in the brettf's pics are poison ivy? They don't look much like xcguy's pics, which looks more familiar (and I have a lifetime of being allergic to it)...
    And NO, I will not go roll around in any of it to find out.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Spring

Fall

Summer

I will be keeping an eye out for myself and my dog. God knows it would suck if my dog rolled around in it and then jumped all over me!

mtbr member
    Poison ivy? You gotta be kidding me...I moved away from the NW to escape that stuff.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Heathen
    I've had way too many doctor trips thanks to this stuff. I'm sure it has its place in the ecosystem but I wouldn't mind it at least being moved entirely to some other state.

Btw, saw a good bit of it while hiking with the wife on GM last weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    thx for the heads up.. I hate that stuff and catch it easily..

Armchair Sasquatcheror

Late at night when your sleeping....

There is also quite a bit along the Apex corridor down low. I try to be very concious of this stuff as I am more allergic than most people. When I was younger we were building a bmx track in Pittsbugh and I had it so bad that I missed 2 weeks of school and had a fever. I had a literal golf ball size puss ball on my knee that would fill up each time I drained it and I had 1st degree burns for almsot a year afterwards.

It's nast stuff and takes on many different forms in various climates and seasons. Leaves of 3, let it be.

BretF - how was your dinner at the Sherpa House? I am hooked and hoping to go again tomorrow night.

If you folks haven't yet been there, check it out next time you're in Golden. D-licious!
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    dbabuser, I'm (very unfortunately) 100% sure that is poison ivy - don't ask me how I know

and as posted above, it can look different in different regions, at different elevations, and even in different zones around here... sneaky stuff.

M, good to see ya the other night - Great stuff at Sherpa House! Been there a few times now and am glad Golden is expanding its menu so to speak!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you're hiking up the North Foothills Trail and you turn around and see this view, the evil poison ivy is just up the trail on your left:
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

ride, eat, live
    Nov 2004
    sorry guys, but i'm immune to the stuff. i've rubbed it on my arms to prove it and win a few bucks as a kid. i have no idea why i'm immune. bee stings....that's another matter....that's a trip to the doctor for me. so i guess it all balance out.
    i'm the man from nantucket

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Willys

I will be keeping an eye out for myself and my dog. God knows it would suck if my dog rolled around in it and then jumped all over me!
    Been there, done that. Worst month of my life! First sign of allergic reaction, go see a doctor ASAP and ask for steroid shot or topical.
    sth

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Another poison ivy alert. I was riding up the road to Eldorado Springs and decided to take a pic of that purple wagon out in the field. As I composed my shot a shiver went down my spine---WTF? There, in front of me, a huge patch of poison ivy. You've all got me paranoid and I'm not even allergic to it. I didn't want to hang around long, just in case I was developing an allergy to it while I was standing there. Sheeit, that stuff's all over. There was another patch on the left side of the road up another 50 feet.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    I am allergic to it, bad enough that I got some once from rubbing against a large bush that all the leaves were gone on, and I only accidentally touched the branch, still got the scars from it

mtbr member
    I usually bathe in Technu to get rid of the nasty stuff....

Road Warrior

Plant from Hell

Depending how sensitve you are to the stuff, getting it washed off within 2 hrs will usually do the trick. Plain water works. I ride a lot out east where its unavoidable. A lot of time there is a lake, and boat ramp nearby, I just ride right in. Proves to the bystanders that mountain bikers are crazy. It's the oil from the plant that causes the reaction, and it can transfer from the bike /clothing to you so wash everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast