Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

PSA: Pizza Dispatch - new pizza joint in Salida

7K views 49 replies 22 participants last post by  TomP 
#1 ·
So if you're hitting up the Crest for a day or heading through Salida for other reasons I'd highly recommend Pizza Dispatch. The owner John makes the pie and he's GOOD at it. Very reasonably priced and the pies are BIG.

Address is 944 E Hwy 50 between the Pak Mail & Conoco.

He only has a few tables and amenities are spartan at this point, but he's planning on serving beer when he can arrange the LL.

Pay a visit! You won't be disappointed.

For the record: I'm not affiliated in any way with Pizza Dispatch... just a very satisfied hungry mt biker. :cool:

#28 ·
i take it you got my retainer check SS?
actually i just googled pizza dispatch and got this thread and SS isn't affiliated with my business but i appreciate the positive posts. i'm pizza john, owner of pizza dispatch. SS and family were the first to eat in my place. i am going to have real plates but need to take them in a few at a time in saddlebags. i opened here in 1976, then left for 12 years after selling so trying to make a comeback. anyway, since i am a biker of pedal and power, tele skier, kayaker i understand the appetites such activities create and i'm a pizza lifer i guess. trying to offer an alternative to the fu-fu and the chains, high end product, not so high price.
thanks SS. (he's a good tipper too). j

#41 ·
I will continue to spend my money at the pizza joint that actually contributes to our community, Moonlight. They donate money to local programs and sponsor local events, plus they just opened their own microbrewery....and they still have the best pies...and breadsticks.

Reactions: Timo
#15 ·
schnauzers said:
Not sold on Amicas, but then I again I grew up on real pizza. Anything short of stand up and salute without the bend greasy thin crust new yawk pizza, is not pizza.
I grew up on NJ pizza, so I hear ya. But, I appreciate Amica's for two things:
- Toppings. I wouldn't necessarily order a plain cheese pizza, but their pizza variety is nice, for something different. Plain cheese pizza is my yardstick for good NY style.
- Fresh beer. Wouldn't say any of their beers are especially memorable, but I always love the opportunity for a unique, fresh beer.

That said, we'll be out that way in a couple weeks and will certainly hit Amicas, and maybe look for the new pizza joint. Thanks for the tip.

#16 ·
schnauzers said:
Not sold on Amicas, but then I again I grew up on real pizza. Anything short of stand up and salute without the bend greasy thin crust new yawk pizza, is not pizza.
Of course if you've never been to Naples, Italy (where the stuff was actually invented), then you've never had real pizza. New York pies are a poor man's version of Neapolitan pizza and probably got invented only because they couldn't get the proper ingredients from Italy before they would spoil. If it doesn't have San Marzano tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella on it, it's a knockoff.

And if you think the "I know real pizza because I'm from New York/Chicago" is bad, you haven't heard anything until you talk to a Neapolitan. I know a guy that's lived in Naples his whole life and doesn't consider anything outside of two pizzerias in downtown Naples to be the real thing.

#18 ·
Fusker said:
Of course if you've never been to Naples, Italy (where the stuff was actually invented), then you've never had real pizza. New York pies are a poor man's version of Neapolitan pizza and probably got invented only because they couldn't get the proper ingredients from Italy before they would spoil. If it doesn't have San Marzano tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella on it, it's a knockoff.

And if you think the "I know real pizza because I'm from New York/Chicago" is bad, you haven't heard anything until you talk to a Neapolitan. I know a guy that's lived in Naples his whole life and doesn't consider anything outside of two pizzerias in downtown Naples to be the real thing.
I'm sure Sicilians would probably argue this point and have you wacked.

Attachments

#19 ·
SkaredShtles said:
Pizza snobs are amusing. :D

I've found good and bad representations of all "real" pizzas.
Agreed. I've had great pizzas in a lot of places. Although I still prefer the classic Neapolitan pizza margherita over anything, there are lots of people making good pies. I just like to poke fun at New Yorkers who think that NYC is where "real" pizza is from, and remind them that there's another city that actually invented the stuff and has been doing it far longer.

Read just about any pizzeria review on Yelp and you'll probably find half a dozen people that start their review something like, "I'm from New York, so I know what good pizza is..." It's as ridiculous as somebody saying, "I'm from Detroit, so I know what a real car is."

But I'll tell you this - if I just got done riding Monarch Crest, you could probably put a paper plate down in front of me, load it up with Kraft cheese and tomato sauce from a jar, and I'd probably devour the whole thing. I'm sure this is much better. :)

#21 ·
Fusker said:
<snip>
But I'll tell you this - if I just got done riding Monarch Crest, you could probably put a paper plate down in front of me, load it up with Kraft cheese and tomato sauce from a jar, and I'd probably devour the whole thing. I'm sure this is much better. :)
That's funny - 'cause John is currently serving the 'za on paper plates. :D

It still rocks. And John's a Salida local who has been living in the area for decades. He's good people and makes a great pizza. :thumbsup:

#22 ·
SkaredShtles said:
I'd highly recommend Pizza Dispatch...
...You won't be disappointed.
SkaredShtles said:
This place is excellent quality, generous portions, and great prices.
SkaredShtles said:
the crust is simply awesome
SkaredShtles said:
John serves up a damned good "pizza"...
SkaredShtles said:
It still rocks...
He's good people and makes a great pizza.
Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm starting to think this SkaredShtles dude might think this place is pretty good.

SkaredShtles said:
For the record: I'm not affiliated in any way with Pizza Dispatch...
Yo SS, you sure about this ^^^ ???

:D

#23 ·
bad andy! said:
Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm starting to think this SkaredShtles dude might think this place is pretty good.

Yo SS, you sure about this ^^^ ???

:D
Absolutely. John was an e-friend until this past weekend when I finally got to meet him when I took the fam to Pizza Dispatch for dinner. He's a genuinely nice guy and I'd like to see his business do well.

So I may be just a *bit* biased. But still not "affiliated"...

But his pizza is good. Really good. Even my kids agree... and they're REAL pizza snobs. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.