bacon! bacon! bacon!

PSA: Pizza Dispatch - new pizza joint in Salida

So if you're hitting up the Crest for a day or heading through Salida for other reasons I'd highly recommend Pizza Dispatch. The owner John makes the pie and he's GOOD at it. Very reasonably priced and the pies are BIG.

Address is 944 E Hwy 50 between the Pak Mail & Conoco.

He only has a few tables and amenities are spartan at this point, but he's planning on serving beer when he can arrange the LL.

Pay a visit! You won't be disappointed.

For the record: I'm not affiliated in any way with Pizza Dispatch... just a very satisfied hungry mt biker.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sweet a 3rd pizza joint in Salida.

What kind of beer do they have on tap?

contains quinine
    Amicas is so good I can't imagine going anywhere else.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle
    Sweet a 3rd pizza joint in Salida.

What kind of beer do they have on tap?
    No LL yet. Not sure what he's going to get when he does, but he told me I could BMOB in the interim.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    I like Amica's as well... but after a long ride I can destroy one of their pizzas by myself. And still be hungry. This place is excellent quality, generous portions, and great prices. It's filling a different pizza niche in Salida.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    amicas rules period....anything else is second best

Jul 2009
    Amicas is ok, but seriously. Its in the old mortuary. SS - thanks for the heads up!

Yappy little dog!
    Not sold on Amicas, but then I again I grew up on real pizza. Anything short of stand up and salute without the bend greasy thin crust new yawk pizza, is not pizza.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The bonus of this place is that the crust is simply awesome. My kids don't generally like the crust that much but they polished off every last bit at John's pad.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    No LL yet.

Pivot Rider
    The bonus of this place is that the crust is simply awesome. My kids don't generally like the crust that much but they polished off every last bit at John's pad.
    Soooo, I don't suppose they have the gluten-free pizza going on yet? All pizza is useless w/o something yummy for us non-wheat eaters!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetigirl
    Soooo, I don't suppose they have the gluten-free pizza going on yet? All pizza is useless w/o something yummy for us non-wheat eaters!
    I doubt it... but I could check with John. He might be able to do a special-order if he knows you're coming.

Pivot Rider
    I doubt it... but I could check with John. He might be able to do a special-order if he knows you're coming.
    Sounds like a trip will be in the works once I'm back on my trusty steed (which will have a NEW fork on it -- hopefully).
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Not sold on Amicas, but then I again I grew up on real pizza. Anything short of stand up and salute without the bend greasy thin crust new yawk pizza, is not pizza.
    I grew up on NJ pizza, so I hear ya. But, I appreciate Amica's for two things:
    - Toppings. I wouldn't necessarily order a plain cheese pizza, but their pizza variety is nice, for something different. Plain cheese pizza is my yardstick for good NY style.
    - Fresh beer. Wouldn't say any of their beers are especially memorable, but I always love the opportunity for a unique, fresh beer.

That said, we'll be out that way in a couple weeks and will certainly hit Amicas, and maybe look for the new pizza joint. Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Of course if you've never been to Naples, Italy (where the stuff was actually invented), then you've never had real pizza. New York pies are a poor man's version of Neapolitan pizza and probably got invented only because they couldn't get the proper ingredients from Italy before they would spoil. If it doesn't have San Marzano tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella on it, it's a knockoff.

And if you think the "I know real pizza because I'm from New York/Chicago" is bad, you haven't heard anything until you talk to a Neapolitan. I know a guy that's lived in Naples his whole life and doesn't consider anything outside of two pizzerias in downtown Naples to be the real thing.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Pizza snobs are amusing.

I've found good and bad representations of all "real" pizzas.

John serves up a damned good "pizza"...

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusker
    Of course if you've never been to Naples, Italy (where the stuff was actually invented), then you've never had real pizza. New York pies are a poor man's version of Neapolitan pizza and probably got invented only because they couldn't get the proper ingredients from Italy before they would spoil. If it doesn't have San Marzano tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella on it, it's a knockoff.

And if you think the "I know real pizza because I'm from New York/Chicago" is bad, you haven't heard anything until you talk to a Neapolitan. I know a guy that's lived in Naples his whole life and doesn't consider anything outside of two pizzerias in downtown Naples to be the real thing.

I'm sure Sicilians would probably argue this point and have you wacked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PSA: Pizza Dispatch - new pizza joint in Salida-corleone.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Pizza snobs are amusing.

Agreed. I've had great pizzas in a lot of places. Although I still prefer the classic Neapolitan pizza margherita over anything, there are lots of people making good pies. I just like to poke fun at New Yorkers who think that NYC is where "real" pizza is from, and remind them that there's another city that actually invented the stuff and has been doing it far longer.

Read just about any pizzeria review on Yelp and you'll probably find half a dozen people that start their review something like, "I'm from New York, so I know what good pizza is..." It's as ridiculous as somebody saying, "I'm from Detroit, so I know what a real car is."

But I'll tell you this - if I just got done riding Monarch Crest, you could probably put a paper plate down in front of me, load it up with Kraft cheese and tomato sauce from a jar, and I'd probably devour the whole thing. I'm sure this is much better.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Pizza snobs are amusing.

I grew up in Manhattan but I like any pizza that is well made, with good ingredients. I'll even enjoy a good Chicago pizza, just don't tell anyone.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusker
    <snip>
    But I'll tell you this - if I just got done riding Monarch Crest, you could probably put a paper plate down in front of me, load it up with Kraft cheese and tomato sauce from a jar, and I'd probably devour the whole thing. I'm sure this is much better.
    That's funny - 'cause John is currently serving the 'za on paper plates.

It still rocks. And John's a Salida local who has been living in the area for decades. He's good people and makes a great pizza.

not actually bad :)
    I'd highly recommend Pizza Dispatch...
    ...You won't be disappointed.
    This place is excellent quality, generous portions, and great prices.
    the crust is simply awesome
    It still rocks...
    He's good people and makes a great pizza.
    Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm starting to think this SkaredShtles dude might think this place is pretty good.

For the record: I'm not affiliated in any way with Pizza Dispatch...
    Yo SS, you sure about this ^^^ ???

Old Codger

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm starting to think this SkaredShtles dude might think this place is pretty good.

Yo SS, you sure about this ^^^ ???

Absolutely. John was an e-friend until this past weekend when I finally got to meet him when I took the fam to Pizza Dispatch for dinner. He's a genuinely nice guy and I'd like to see his business do well.

So I may be just a *bit* biased. But still not "affiliated"...

But his pizza is good. Really good. Even my kids agree... and they're REAL pizza snobs.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    My thoughts exactly. He's pushing it a bit too much for a casual bystander.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Go eat there. Then tell me you don't have the same opinion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Amicas is overrated.

mtbr member
    Amicas is definitely overrated. I'll be checking out the new place next time I'm in town!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i take it you got my retainer check SS?
    actually i just googled pizza dispatch and got this thread and SS isn't affiliated with my business but i appreciate the positive posts. i'm pizza john, owner of pizza dispatch. SS and family were the first to eat in my place. i am going to have real plates but need to take them in a few at a time in saddlebags. i opened here in 1976, then left for 12 years after selling so trying to make a comeback. anyway, since i am a biker of pedal and power, tele skier, kayaker i understand the appetites such activities create and i'm a pizza lifer i guess. trying to offer an alternative to the fu-fu and the chains, high end product, not so high price.
    thanks SS. (he's a good tipper too). j

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Good to see you over here, John. Welcome to the madness...

mtbr member
    Bump!

Had a chance to check this place out tonight. It's solid. Good price too.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Just in case anyone is visiting the Banana Belt this winter to ride or hitting Monarch, or Crested Butte, or Wolf Creek and is traveling through Salida, Colorado!

Stop in. The pizza ROCKS.

not actually bad :)
    Hey jellero, I think bacon boy is due a free pizza on his next visit for all the free promo!
    I'll take one too for bumping this thread.
    I will stop by Apr 9 - I'll be in town for the w/e.
    Thanks (in advance) <-LOL
    Old Codger

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I don't need free pizza - it's such a good deal I don't mind paying for it! And I'm a cheap bahstid! It's goooood.

singletrack junkie
    Apr 2005
    While Pizza Dispatch is good (way better than Luigi's), the best pie in the valley is still the "Pizza With Super Powers".

Voted best pizza, best employer, best margarita, and best patio in Salida.

Plus they just made a generous donation to the Salida Mountain Trails!

http://www.themountainmail.com/main....SectionID=&S=1
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lwmyers
    While Pizza Dispatch is good (way better than Luigi's), the best pie in the valley is still the "Pizza With Super Powers".

Voted best pizza, best employer, best margarita, and best patio in Salida.

Plus they just made a generous donation to the Salida Mountain Trails!

http://www.themountainmail.com/main....SectionID=&S=1
    I find it difficult to believe that it could actually be BETTER than Pizza Dispatch.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Pizza Dispatch. Still slinging great pies. Hit them on the way back from our Wolf Creek/Monarch excursion and not only did we get tasty eats Wednesday night but John conjured up a powder day for us on Thursday.

banned
    Odd, how you resurrect a topical thread in lieu of just opening a new thread like the empty-minded, off-topic denizens of this forum have a poor habit of doing. Well done, Baconboi!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    Odd, how you resurrect a topical thread in lieu of just opening a new thread like the empty-minded, off-topic denizens of this forum have a poor habit of doing. Well done, Baconboi!
    Just doing my bit to save... bits.

You see what I did there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pizza Dispatch... I like the name. Reminds me of the ol Pizza Emergency in Taos that even had an old ambulance in front of it. I will try it out when I'm over there this up coming June. :-)

Amicas is Il Vicino under a different owner. I still have an old Growler with the Salida Il Vicino location shown on it....and the menu is pretty much the same. For you front rangers there actually is an il Vicino in downtown Denver..... Try it out before you hit up Amicas and see for yourself.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    Pizza Dispatch... I like the name. Reminds me of the ol Pizza Emergency in Taos that even had an old ambulance in front of it. I will try it out when I'm over there this up coming June. :-)

Amicas is Il Vicino under a different owner. I still have an old Growler with the Salida Il Vicino location shown on it....and the menu is pretty much the same. For you front rangers there actually is an il Vicino in downtown Denver..... Try it out before you hit up Amicas and see for yourself.
    I remember there was some community drama associated with the Il Vicino/Amica's transformation.

Pizza Dispatch: Drama-free.

singletrack junkie
    Apr 2005
    I will continue to spend my money at the pizza joint that actually contributes to our community, Moonlight. They donate money to local programs and sponsor local events, plus they just opened their own microbrewery....and they still have the best pies...and breadsticks.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lwmyers View Post
    I will continue to spend my money at the pizza joint that actually contributes to our community, Moonlight. They donate money to local programs and sponsor local events, plus they just opened their own microbrewery....and they still have the best pies...and breadsticks.
    Nothing wrong with that. This isn't necessarily a us vs. them thing. Plenty o' room in the Banana Belt for different pizza niches.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    and Salida needs it's own signature microbrewery. Good news!

singletrack junkie
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, I know it can be tough for you "out of towners" to drive to downtown, the whole 1.5 miles it is off the highway, but I do assure you that the slight delay is worth it. The owners and 3/4 of Moonlights employees are mountain bikers too...that's why they contribute to things like the local trail system. I am all for local competition, but you should definitely try Moonlight.

Team Velveeta™

It's ALL good

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I remember there was some community drama associated with the Il Vicino/Amica's transformation.

Pizza Dispatch: Drama-free.
    As the Californian's like to say, it's all good.

I did a White Rim trip with the folks who created the Il Vicino thing, Tom and Sandy H, great people. I know the lady who owns Amicas, Kathy Y. Great person. She sponsors the local roadie team. I don't know of any drama around the changeover. They sold it, Kathy bought it. Kathy runs it well, her employees work for her for years and years.

Amicas. Great food. Great beer. Their IPA won a prize at the Great American Beer Festival this year. Friends work there. Good employer. Go there.

Moonlight IS a great place. Great food, great people. Supporters of Salida Mountain Trails. They are totally cool people. Go there! Downtown IS cool. If you've never seen Salida other than the stretch of it along hwy 50, you really haven't seen it.

Pizza Dispatch IS good! Good pies. Yes, good. Me likey, velli much.

Also, Los Girasoles. Actual good Mexican food. In Colorado! Imagine that!

It's all good.Next time you're in Salida, eat at all four places. I am totally cereal.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post

Amicas. Great food. Great beer. Their IPA won a prize at the Great American Beer Festival this year. Friends work there. Good employer. Go there.

Moonlight IS a great place. Great food, great people. Supporters of Salida Mountain Trails. They are totally cool people. Go there! Downtown IS cool. If you've never seen Salida other than the stretch of it along hwy 50, you really haven't seen it.

Pizza Dispatch IS good! Good pies. Yes, good. Me likey, velli much.

Also, Los Girasoles. Actual good Mexican food. In Colorado! Imagine that!

It's all good.Next time you're in Salida, eat at all four places. I am totally cereal.
    Looks like ive got all beer/food stops lined up! Now i just need to get my riding plans all in order- This spring/summer def coming up for a few days! but no offense shtles i believe i'll be takin advice from a local ^ instead of a hippie with short hair!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Team Velveeta™

no contradiction

Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    ... no offense shtles i believe i'll be takin advice from a local ^ instead of a hippie with short hair!
    To be clear, I do not disagree with Señor Shtles, I also think Pizza Dispatch is the bomb. But I also like the other pizza joints in town, and definitely urge people who've never been off Hwy 50 to get their butts downtown and see what Salida is actually like. The highway 50 corridor through Salida is about as charming as a Black Lab's butt hole.

Merry Christmas y'all!

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Sorry for the bump but is this place still around?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Sadly I think that John lost his storefront awhile back... I think Pizza Dispatch is on hiatus again.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Sadly I think that John lost his storefront awhile back... I think Pizza Dispatch is on hiatus again.
    Yeah, he's gone. His pies were super good, I tried to throw as much business as possible to him. But the location was actually pretty bad. He never seemed to get the local traffic necessary for a business to survive through the winter here.

He's been shut for at least a year.

One a lighter note, there's a new mexican restaurant on 1st Street downtown that I think is super good called Poco.

Members who have read this thread: 0